Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1546
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I definitely believe "that if it ain't broke don't fix it". BUT, it would be such a pain to lose first gear on another trip. I think I will poke around in there and see what I find.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #1547
cookeal
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuncanadamas View Post
I really like the stainless steel manifold which is pretty rare on XT550s. Where did you get it?

I remodeled a TT600 manifold to fit my XT550 but it looks a little self made after all.

Cheers,

Nunca
Hi Nunca,

The exhaust was on the bike when I got it, but I have tracked it down to a company called BSM exhausts http://www.bsm-exhausts.com/

A link to the product sheet - http://www.bsm-exhausts.com/images/prodsheet/5702.pdf

Hope this helps.

Alex
cookeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #1548
Holmie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Need help with my XT550

I was hoping someone could help me shed some light on my 1982 XT550. I just bought this bike two months ago and I have yet to get it running correctly. It had 940 original miles on her when I bought it in Idaho and I believe it spent most of its life in California.
Here are my issues. It sputters when I try to accelerate esp at lower rpm's. It smells rich and there is black soot in the exhaust. Its hard to start but most frustrating is that it just stops/stalls/cuts out with no warning while Im riding.
I brought the bike to the local bike shop three times as I have (unfortunately) no time to work on it and they replaced the air filter and cleaned the carburetor 3 times. Each time the bike runs smoothly for a little while then it slowly starts cutting out again and becomes harder to start.
The local bike mechanic thinks there could be some old gas in the tank that built up (from many years sitting) and is comming loose with all of the addatives in todays gas, gumming up the carburetor.
Does anyone have any ideas? I am trying to stay optimistic as this bike has been on my wish list for many years. Now that I found one thats in incredible shape it does not run. Thank you!
Holmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #1549
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
To clean up the tank, it may have rust built up as well as old gas residue. Get some cider vinegar, enough to fill it up. Let it soak for several days then dump into a bucket to save it. You should see lots of rust bits come out. Remove the fuel tap, clean it. Look thru the large filler opening with sunlight shining and see how clean it is. If necessary do another vinegar treatment. Once clean, wash out with water till all the residue is out, blow out and air dry.

Vinegar is amazing. This should take at least clear one obstacle.

Steve
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #1550
papawhellie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
The consensus on another forum I frequent is using a phosphoric acid product such as etch and prep from home cheapo or milk stone remover from Tractor supply. Put some large pea gravel, nuts bolts whatever in the tank and spend a day shaking it around. Drain wash out and dry the phosphoric acid converts any rust left to a stable compound. Make a petcock block off plate. I have yet to get my xt running right as well. My carburetor was missing lots of parts and my cdi was bad. Not from knowledge but from the seat of my pants I would buy a new cdi. I got mine from www.electrexworld.co.uk and have yet to proclaim it as a good product as I am still sourcing carb parts. It was about 165 bucks to my door a little cheaper than the new zealand unit.
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #1551
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
First things first...

I would try putting a fuel filter in the gas line. Seems like the easiest and cheapest thing to try. If it is stuff from old gas making it run bad, it should make a difference right away and let you know if you are on the right track or not.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #1552
papawhellie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
I would try putting a fuel filter in the gas line. Seems like the easiest and cheapest thing to try. If it is stuff from old gas making it run bad, it should make a difference right away and let you know if you are on the right track or not.
ditto many mechanical effort rendered useless by a bad spark plug. the kiss principle
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #1553
BuddhaXT550GR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveloomis View Post
To clean up the tank, it may have rust built up as well as old gas residue. Get some cider vinegar, enough to fill it up. Let it soak for several days then dump into a bucket to save it. You should see lots of rust bits come out. Remove the fuel tap, clean it. Look thru the large filler opening with sunlight shining and see how clean it is. If necessary do another vinegar treatment. Once clean, wash out with water till all the residue is out, blow out and air dry.

Vinegar is amazing. This should take at least clear one obstacle.

Steve
there is a quicker way :) you get coca cola from the super market fill it up for 24 hours , rince well then you get petrol and some little rocks small ones not a mountain put it in shake it well and voila clean from all rust , good as new and clean rince again with hot water and then add gas to go whenever you like
BuddhaXT550GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #1554
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
vinegar is a lot cheaper than a tank full of Coke. I save it and have used it over and over on 4 different tanks. I strain out the large rust bits and the rest will settle out. Pour off slowly.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #1555
Holmie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill try to clean out the tank when I get the time to hopefully clean out the Old gummy/varnish gas. I did put a fuel filter in and the bike was still stalling out on me. I dont think the tank is rusty as it looks ok inside and I dont see any particles on the fuel filter.
Thanks Again
Holmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #1556
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
New (to me) problem

So, the bike ran like crap in the spring. I just finished going through the carb and it runs much better, except for an intermittent loss of power @ 4500 rpm's. Runs just fine in the lower rpm's, idles fine. I have a 3 year old Hyperpak CDI in it. Stock exhaust with a K&N air filter. A kit that I got on ebay said to go to a 035 jet, I've put in new needles (variable needle set at next to bottom groove), Air/fuel screw set at three turns (idles fine), new float valve and assorted o-rings, clipped one turn off of the vacuum return spring (for better throttle response), rebuilt vacuum assembly. Would a vacuum leak cause this? It almost feels like I'm losing spark. I guess I could hook up a timing light and watch and see if I lose spark when it bogs. Anyway, ideas, suggestions, recommendations? (We're up to 104 pages here, that's a whole lotta reading to find a similar problem/post).
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #1557
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
except for an intermittent loss of power @ 4500 rpm's.
Hi Newt, good to see it still goes. How about some isolation testing? Still have the 550 with a 600 motor? Swap the carb. Swap the CDI and also don't forget to check the Stator.

Someone nearby can lent Newt some parts?
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #1558
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Carb issues

Here's a little tip: Get a white marker, like the ones they use to write on parts at a junkyard. Put a mark on the kill switch housing where you can easily see it while riding. Then, open the throttle just until throttle crank contacts the secondary carb throttle crank. These are located between the carbs, so you may have to take the tank off to see it. Then mark the throttle grip next to the mark on the kill switch housing. This way, if there is a problem with the secondary carb, it will show up as soon as the two marks pass each other. Hopefully this will help you eliminate the carbs in your troubleshooting efforts. I know it helped me. I know if the 36 degree pickup goes bad, it can act like the carbs are messed up and vice versa.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #1559
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
Thanks guys (vudu, all I have is an '83 550, no 600). Larry, nice tip on marking the throttle. A buddy seems to think it's starving for fuel on the top end. Looks like I'll have to pull the carb and see if I missed something. Put some miles on it yesterday to see if it would 'magically' fix itself. Like I said before, it does fine in the lower rpm's. I can cruise at 55 easy enough but over that it starts acting up. Maybe I should just leave it alone. That way it'll keep an old fart like me out of trouble.
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #1560
longfoot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Pick up coils

Are new pick-up coils available anywhere?
longfoot is offline   Reply With Quote