Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #151
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior
As for the petcock nipple thingy, mine has fallen out several times, and the petcock is now bad. I only get fuel when it is on resevere. I was screaming down the PA turnpike and all of a sudden she dies. No fuel in the line but swapped over to reserve and we were good to go. Ever since then it won't drop fuel in the line unless on reserve.
Did you pull the petcock apart and make sure it wasn't plugged up with rust?

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #152
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Did you pull the petcock apart and make sure it wasn't plugged up with rust?
I guess I could do that... I've never seen rust when looking into the tank so i just figured it was clean inside.

Also, after watching a how-to on changing the fork seals for a 1980 TTR, I'm gonna just do the oil for now. It looks like I have to pull the tube out to access the Fork seal underneath the dust seal (the thick one)?

My OEM seals are not leaking so I'm gonna leave it be for now.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #153
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
I guess I could do that... I've never seen rust when looking into the tank so i just figured it was clean inside.
Actually you can probably just pull the screws on the lever and pull it out and make sure its not full of trash there. Make sure you have a [strike] chump[/strike]volunteer handy to put their finger over the hole while you clean it up.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #154
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Adventure Tourer?

How old's yr bike?

Mine wouldn't run on reserve. Remove petcock and drain tank. Fuel like black tea and hulf a cup of chocolate sludge. Disassemble petcock, reserve blocked and crap everywhere. There was no inline fuel filter at that point. Cleaned up carby cleaner, toothbrush and wire cup brush on a drill in a vice. Now the clear inline filter is full of fuel and bits of rubbish are still accumulating.

Anyway. I had a mind to build a lightweight adv bike cheap. Does any body have any ideas as to luggage carrying options? Does Ventura or others make a rack? Made one yourself? Plans? Soft options. Personally I prefer weight low and toward the centre of the bike (Erik Buell School of Motorcycle Engineering).

Please share your ideas and experiences.
vudu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #155
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

So finished the oil up, rode her gently to the closest gas station (few hundred feet) and pumped the front forks up....They do not take much air at all! Half a second of air got me up to 40 lbs. in each fork! I quickly dropped them down and am now hoping I didn't do any damage, I need to get a hand pump. My right one is at 5 lbs. and the left is at 11 until I can get a better suited air source. On a side note, the fork oil feels nice but I may end up just doing 20 weight since it still has a bit too much dive to it. Definitely feels worlds better than the 10 weight OEM stuff though!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #156
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
... Definitely feels worlds better than the 10 weight OEM stuff though!
Thanks, good info. I will try 20W when I replace the oil in my forks. I recall that the XT550 I had years ago did bottom out easily.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #157
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600
Thanks, good info. I will try 20W when I replace the oil in my forks. I recall that the XT550 I had years ago did bottom out easily.
The rear shock is embarrassingly soft and the front dives like Michael Phelps on speed at the olympics. I haven't had much saddle time on the 15 weight but it feels MUCH better than the OEM weight, particularly during braking. I'll put a few hundred miles on this, and then pop over to the 20 weight to try it out. My fear with 20 weight is during extended braking or suspension packing during extremly bumpy roads. If you plan on 50% dirt 50% road it might be a better idea to stick with 15 weight, but when I pop to the 20 weight I'll report back.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #158
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Getting more time (whopping 7.5 miles) on the 15 weight I'm much more happy with it. Fork oil is cheap so I'll try out the 20 weight anyways, but the feel of the road, corners, and braking stability were greatly increased. Feels much more like a bike than a rolling Lazy-Boy

However, it brings to light a large flaw on my bike; both of my rims are bent. Since both are bent, and they are of different size, I get an offset vibration every 2 seconds or so....extremely irritating on the highway above 65 MPH. Furthermore, this causes it hard to see anything in the mirror and my visor visibly shakes.

Any ideas on how to 'unbend' a rim without cracking/damaging anything? I'd like to avoid getting 2 new rims at $100 a piece.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #159
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Any ideas on how to 'unbend' a rim without cracking/damaging anything? I'd like to avoid getting 2 new rims at $100 a piece.
Are you certain the wheels are not just out of true? Before I had my Excel rims laced on, the originals were still straight but spokes were loose/bent and created a similarly noticeable vibe.

To notice that over the big bore's engine shake is really saying something!
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #160
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
Are you certain the wheels are not just out of true? Before I had my Excel rims laced on, the originals were still straight but spokes were loose/bent and created a similarly noticeable vibe.

To notice that over the big bore's engine shake is really saying something!
I just had them trued a week ago. No such luck, it is still bent. The rear didn't get trued but the frotn did and it doesn't seem to have helped. You can see the tire move with the bend when you spin it freely for both rims.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #161
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Hi all...I picked up a basket case '83 XT550 a couple of months ago and am just about done my rebuild/upgrades in the basement.

For those looking for suspension upgrades, I picked up forks from an '81 YZ 125 which are essentially a bolt on upgrade. They fit right into the XT triple clamps (38mm) and the XT front wheel bolts right in...oh...with one slight modification. On the YZ the axle screws into the left fork leg, on the XT it runs straight through and has a castled nut on it. I just drilled out the threaded portion of the fork leg and Bob's your uncle.

Matched up the back end with a rebuilt shock from an '81 YZ465. Still waiting on my new (heavier) fork springs and fork bushings to come in from Race Tech.

Engine was rebored with new piston/rings and starts up with minimal effort. Seems to run fine when I took it for a spin before doing my suspension upgrades.

I've also made a custom windshield/fairing for it, complete with GPS mount and Lexan headlight guard.

I'll post some more pics when she's finished and running.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009

canadaler screwed with this post 04-11-2010 at 08:27 PM
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #162
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
Hi all...I picked up a basket case '83 XT550 a couple of months ago and am just about done my rebuild/upgrades in the basement.

I've also made a custom windshield/fairing for it, complete with GPS mount and Lexan headlight guard.

I would suggest visiting ebay, and ordering a 5 3/4" headlight from a harley and a 50/55w halogen bulb. You'll be alot happier with the light output. That OEM headlight does little more than let oncoming traffic know your there.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #163
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Very nice XT and mods! We need moar pictures!

Also, some pics of the YZ fork swap, namely the drilled part you talk about would be fantastic. Great work!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #164
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
I just had them trued a week ago. No such luck, it is still bent. The rear didn't get trued but the frotn did and it doesn't seem to have helped. You can see the tire move with the bend when you spin it freely for both rims.
Do you think any off roading is in the cards for this bike? If not, and if you think the switch to a 90/90R21 street tire was a major improvement... let me just say, for the price of lacing a stock replacement rim, plus a $100 for new stainless Buchanan spokes you could put a 120 (3.5") front rim and a 150 (4.25") rear via Excel or other aftermarket brand. It will change the attitude of the bike, no doubt, but if you are okay with that or if in fact you welcome a more aggressive stance and lower seat height and steeper seat angle, then you have an option in that.

Just sayin. :)
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #165
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler

For those looking for suspension upgrades, I picked up forks from an '81 YZ 125 which are essentially a bolt on upgrade. They fit right into the XT triple clamps (38mm) and the XT front wheel bolts right in...oh...with one slight modification. On the YZ the axle screws into the left fork leg, on the XT it runs straight through and has a castled nut on it. I just drilled out the threaded portion of the fork leg and Bob's your uncle.

Matched up the back end with a rebuilt shock from an '81 YZ465. Still waiting on my new (heavier) fork springs and fork bushings to come in from Race Tech.

Engine was rebored with new piston/rings and starts up with minimal effort. Seems to run fine when I took it for a spin before doing my suspension upgrades.

Hi

Looking forward to some more pictures. Most interesting...
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote