Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #196
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Question XT550 Electrical experts?

If I could ask for some help please.

Bike was running OK but had a squeak at idle. Ran OK under power except for miss at idle, unburnt fuel I suspect. Changed the cheap parts first, coil, reg/rectifier. No improvement. Given the CDI issues, sprung for a Hyperpack from NZ. wait 3 weeks. Item arrives and I install. No miss. Yay. Take plate off other bike (pls no lectures) idles nice. Don helmet for smokes and beer run. Snick into first. Stall! Aaaarg! Dragging clutch? Rev it up a bit, same! Put in old CDI, same. Pull and reconnect connectors all over. Same! Look at manual wiring diagram, symptoms are like sidestand down cutout. (mine has no switch) Can't find any Blue / Yellow wire.

What gives? Must be electrical, surely. Can't be CDI. Coil is new and ran fine a couple of weeks ago. Geez I hate old electrics!

Most thankful for any ideas. And yes return to shop is high on the list. My mech is an old bike guru.

While Im here, anyone have a left hand switch block for sale? Or can swap for some DT parts?

Thanks in advance
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #197
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
I bypassed my kickstand switch by plugging the pos. kickstand safety switch lead into the neg. kickstand safety switch lead at the CDI unit. With everything hooked up, does your CDI/Hyperpack have two extra leads going nowhere?
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #198
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior
Looks like this and is made by a company with the name similar to "Sports motion" or something. They have a stand at cycle gear but I can't search for the company on work's computer as almost everything is blocked by websense.

EDIT: Motion Pro is the company. Blue Packaging.

EDIT EDIT: Found it: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--614608.html
That's a pretty slick tool. I went with a decidedly low-tech approach. I ran a 2" bugle-head square drive wood screw into a wine cork. The square drive recess in the screw fits over the head of the valve adjuster perfectly. I use that and a 10mm box end wrench.

XT_Driftwood screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 08:15 AM
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #199
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Well, 4th time is a charm I finally got the valves set after accidentally giving them a 1/4" of play (don't ask....something something TDC on compression stroke). Now she runs and sounds fine. I'm glad to have everything up and running reliably now. Carbs still need a go through but it runs and idles great so that can wait.

Now, just have to finish up that rear shock mod in the next week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu
If I could ask for some help please.

Bike was running OK but had a squeak at idle. Ran OK under power except for miss at idle, unburnt fuel I suspect. Changed the cheap parts first, coil, reg/rectifier. No improvement. Given the CDI issues, sprung for a Hyperpack from NZ. wait 3 weeks. Item arrives and I install. No miss. Yay. Take plate off other bike (pls no lectures) idles nice. Don helmet for smokes and beer run. Snick into first. Stall! Aaaarg! Dragging clutch? Rev it up a bit, same! Put in old CDI, same. Pull and reconnect connectors all over. Same! Look at manual wiring diagram, symptoms are like sidestand down cutout. (mine has no switch) Can't find any Blue / Yellow wire.

What gives? Must be electrical, surely. Can't be CDI. Coil is new and ran fine a couple of weeks ago. Geez I hate old electrics!

Most thankful for any ideas. And yes return to shop is high on the list. My mech is an old bike guru.

While Im here, anyone have a left hand switch block for sale? Or can swap for some DT parts?

Thanks in advance
Did the Hyperpak rev fine in neutral? Does it still rev fine in neutral? I would say somehow the neutral/kick is activating and kill it if it revs fine in neutral. Mine is non-existent (PO did the fix for me) so I never had this issue. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #200
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I bypassed my kickstand switch by plugging the pos. kickstand safety switch lead into the neg. kickstand safety switch lead at the CDI unit. With everything hooked up, does your CDI/Hyperpack have two extra leads going nowhere?
Thanks Newt. All the wires, 8 are all plugged and the colours match.

Is it supposed to cut out when put into gear? (with the switch working as it should)
Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #201
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Hmm, not an expert here. G600 (in this thread) built a CDI..he may have the actual schematic that would tell the 'real' story. My problem was an intermittent connection within the kickstand switch. Like I said earlier, I just jumpered it straight across at the CDI box (thus telling the CDI the kickstand was up all the time). I'ld be riding along whistling a tune and then 'puh'.. engine dies. If my name was Mr.Yamaha, I would want the kickstand safety switch looking at the neutral light switch. So yeah, put bike in gear and CDI says "no, your kickstand is down". My schematic shows more than 8 wires tho, what's up with that? I'm looking at an '83 XT550.

It's been said that an intermittent short can develop in the the 'kill' switch on the handlebars but that doesn't sound like your problem.

I see you're in Australia, I can't say for sure that American versions are wired the same. I recently saw a photo of an '84 XT550 that was only built for Austria !?!? Or something like that...

newt_sr screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 02:57 PM
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #202
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

My bad.. It's an XT500 (as stated by cryptomane in "The XT600 thread", page #3, post #45.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #203
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Newt,
Thanks again, not wanting to hijack the thread but I figured it was a place for an accumulation of knowledge on the xt550, given they are about 3 times rarer and half the price S/H than xt500! Some good ideaas at the start of the thread and thanks XTWarrior for kicking it off.

The idea that it may be somehow linked to the neutral light may carry some weight. Historically it ran fine prior to the Hyperpack install, bar the miss at idle. the HP cured that. Ive swapped them a couple of times. Same, and no evidence of a kickstand switch. I know when I ordered the HP i had had to specify 8/11/12 wires. Any idea how I might bypass the neutral switch / light. I could live without the light to make it run.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #204
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

I'm stumped. The eight wire thing has me wondering. Mine is an 11 wire CDI. I can't explain why the neutral light would effect things but bypassing it is easy. There should be two leads to the switch. Disconnect them and see what happens. If the bike doesn't run then plug the leads from the CDI to the switch into each other, thus bypassing the switch (thus thus thus).
You never answered XTwarrior when he asked if the bike revs fine in neutral. Does it?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #205
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry revs / idles fine in neutral.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #206
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Say, just a thought, if you have a multimeter, I'm wondering if you lose voltage to the ignition coil when your neutral light goes out, as in a short in your wiring or something going on with your magneto. My wiring diagram says the wire is orange.
I'm probably way off base but I just find it kinda odd that you lose spark when the neutral light goes out.

P.S. EVERYBODY is invited to jump in at any time.......

P.S.S. Your neutral light does work properly,doesn't it?

newt_sr screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 12:41 PM
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #207
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_sr
I'm stumped. The eight wire thing has me wondering. Mine is an 11 wire CDI. I can't explain why the neutral light would effect things but bypassing it is easy. There should be two leads to the switch. Disconnect them and see what happens. If the bike doesn't run then plug the leads from the CDI to the switch into each other, thus bypassing the switch (thus thus thus).
You never answered XTwarrior when he asked if the bike revs fine in neutral. Does it?
I'm almost positive the leads from the kickstand switch need to be plugged into one another, but it's been a couple years since I bypassed my switch. I'll check tonight after work. The neutral indicator switch is under the shift lever, look way down there and you'll see a blue wire atop a post. It should make no difference on whether or not the bike runs, I know mine has been pulled off by brush before and the bike ran just fine.

It really sounds like the two wires for the sidestand switch, which someone has bypassed, have come unhooked.
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #208
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

No multimeter, neutral light works well. Does seem that spark just quits as I put into gear. I have a manual, i'll go study the wiring diagram some more after work tonight. When I started troubleshooting the miss at idle I changed the original coil for a 6v one wire XT500 type (made no diff). I'll swap the original back in while I'm at it and get a few pics. Thanks for your perseverance.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #209
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
No multimeter, neutral light works well. Does seem that spark just quits as I put into gear. I have a manual, i'll go study the wiring diagram some more after work tonight. When I started troubleshooting the miss at idle I changed the original coil for a 6v one wire XT500 type (made no diff). I'll swap the original back in while I'm at it and get a few pics. Thanks for your perseverance.
From all the description you have here I would be dumbstruck if it wasn't the neutral/kickstand wire. Probably when installing the Hyperpak you stretched the wires that were the kickstand 'fix' and pulled them apart or something got worked the wrong way.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #210
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Thanks Newt. All the wires, 8 are all plugged and the colours match.

Is it supposed to cut out when put into gear? (with the switch working as it should)

Vudu, sorry to hear about your problem.

If you have the 8 wire version of the CDI (like I do) there is no special wire (from the CDI box) to “sniff” for the kickstand. I have not really studied the wiring of my xt550, or how the now non-existent sidestand switch was hooked up before it was removed. If my bike ever had an sidestand switch that is.

Here is one thing you could try. If you disconnect the black/white wire coming from the CDI box the bike should run no matter what. No matter if you push the “kill” button, remove the key from the ignition switch or whatever…

G600 screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 05:12 PM
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote