Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #226
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
Sorry. My questions may seem backasswards. It ain't even my bike and this question is driving me nuts. I was even wondering if your battery connection was backwards. It just doesn't make sense. Is the magneto shot? Broken wire to/from magneto? I dunno....

I think I'll just shutup and wait to hear what the 'real' mechanic says.

newt_sr screwed with this post 04-25-2010 at 01:17 AM
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #227
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281

I owe my old man a brewery at this point for all the work he's done.

Everything fits perfectly, all that's left to do is get 2 pieces of Grade 8/A bolts and accompany them with locking nuts and the shock is 100% in and 100% removable at any notice. It looks like we welded it in but we didn't, only welded on a secondary plate to run 2 bolts though. We then tapped the plates so that we can bolt it in and there would be no flex/movement on the 'middle' joint we created. Rode it home in monsoon conditions but hit a few holes and dips and feels considerably better! About 5 hours of time which could have been halved by better tools and more experience but we got it done.

I also got a pair of new mirrors for the bar ends that I'm hoping to fit on by this Saturday. I am only going to spend money on 2 inner tubes and a rim true and then after that it will all be maintenance or small items. I still ahev to finish the axle sliders too. Time to save for a different bike/project.

XTwarrior screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 07:05 PM
XTwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #228
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Well done warrior. I've had my Dad weld for me but he usually just burns holes. Will be interested to see you bobbin solution.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #229
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior
Rode it home in monsoon conditions but hit a few holes and dips and feels considerably better! About 5 hours of time which could have been halved by better tools and more experience but we got it done.
Stupid question for you: what did you actually do? The 600E monoshock bolts to the inside of the frame/subframe joint, not the top of the backbone tube like the 550.

Did you remove anything in order to add that middle section?
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #230
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Does anybody know how to split the front forks (inner tube from outer tube) without special tool YM-01327 ? I'm trying to replace the oil seals.

Congrats on the father + son mod XTwarrior. Fun times in the shop.

Nevermind... I read the fix in a nother thread...... stoopid special tools

newt_sr screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 05:29 AM
Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #231
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Vudu:
Thanks :) What do you mean bobbin solution? Do you mean being bouncy from the difference in bike weight? If so, from what I could tell the XZ550 shock I have seems to be well suited for this bike. I live on country back roads so I had a chance to feel lots of different bumps, ruts, etc... and I didn't feel it was bouncy.

Netjustin:
Not sure what you mean by 600E. The XZ550 was the best choice over any of the other Monoshock systems available because of it's primary use; road riding. I took a gamble that the XZ550 might be too stiff and it seems the risk was worth it. All we did (regarding welding) was added an extra piece of reinforcement to bolt onto. I'll take more pics To show what I mean, I think it's hard to tell exactly what was done. Basically, we built the frame and a new mount for the custom extension piece so that it could be easily unbolted if I wanted to throw the original shock back in. So if I decided to make it dirt again it would only take 15 minutes of time instead of alot more if we welded it to the frame. The 'wing' you see in picture 3 and 4 is a stabilizer piece for the 3rd joint we introduced into the system. Without that piece and the welding/bolt, the shock would flex up into the gas tank or down intot he carbs and destroy them. We did this because the extension created a 3rd joint (think of it as your knee being the middle joint between your hip and your ankle). You may get this already, I'm just explaining it sort of for everyone too.

Newt:
Thanks! It was fun but I felt sort of bad as he did alot of the work. I'm lucky he has all the necessary tools to do this job. As for the forks, I see you saw it already. I want to swap mine out for new seals but I think I'll wait until winter so if I royally screw up somehow it won't affect my riding :)
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #232
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Vudu.... run a wire from the second spade (of the coil connector) to the cylinder head (like original). Let me know if it changes anything.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #233
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Warrior: I was under the impression you were installing crash bobbins. like on motos. I was thinking easy to mount to the rear footpeg mounts but couldn't figure how to mount the front.

Newt: running a wire from the coil earth to the head only provides an additional earth. If the current coil earth to the frame via the coil mount bracket doesn't provide sufficient earth for the coil to work I would have not been able to start / run the motor.

Forgive me guys if I'm misunderstanding I know typing this stuff is not like standing around in the shed with beer talking and demonstrating. I know sometimes my dad misses the point unless I pull bits of metal out or draw "mud" diagrams.

I kinda think I've covered most every thing given the most helpful suggestions and given and the $, effort, into it I may yet part it out and find a better example swap the best bits.. blah.

I so want to love this thing but I don't want a $3K 550. I want a budget ADV / GS1200. Call me a dreamer I'm Ok with it.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #234
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Welllllllll, I was reading another thread and the guy was saying that the only ground he could find was through his coil. I'm not sure how the battery is grounded (mine is apart right now). Your bike runs as long as the neutral switch circuit is closed. I'm thinking that is providing a ground for your coil (not sure how the actual switch works). Seeing as how you've rigged up a one wire coil and cutoff the original ground to coil/engine, it seems reasonable to assume that the only ground your spark plug sees is through the neutral switch. BUT, I promise not to bring this up again. I need to build a 'tool' to change my fork seals, and then change out the bearings on my wheels, and then true the front rim, and then reassemble my head because I'm having the valves lapped and the cylinder bored/honed, and then put back on the carb that I completely went through, and hook up all the new cables I got, and put back on the seat that I recovered, and check out the new halogen light I got, and the new petcock, and the patched airbox, and the grips, and the new tires, and the new mirrors, and, and, and.............
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #235
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Newt Sr.,

I don't know if you've read my post on changing the fork seals but give the impact driver a chance. I've had two different XT550's (bought my first brand new) and my freind has one also and I've never had to build a special tool to change the fork seals on any of them. You will need the right socket to fit the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork.
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #236
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu
Warrior: I was under the impression you were installing crash bobbins. like on motos. I was thinking easy to mount to the rear footpeg mounts but couldn't figure how to mount the front.
Ohh, i thought you meant the shock part. I figured the front out, it's just finding the correct hardware and lining a drill bit up to run through the axle at the crown nut. I broke 3 bits trying to widen that little hole. The other side is easy to do and will take $1 of hardware (grade 8) and a large drill bit. Easy stuff. I'll finish it up tomorrow or Friday.

Here's the custom shock mount completed sans paint:

Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #237
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

I get what you are saying about the earth Newt it's just beyond me now. Re the forks +1 what Driftwood says. I've done them on a DT250. Fork upside down in vice. Penetrating oil for an hour. Correct size allen key (the expensive long ones work best) and some persuasion with a lump hammer. Be careful to lay the parts out in sequence. Lots of bits that make no sense otherwise.

Good work on the shock, Warrior. Like the ingenuity and its amazing what black paint hides. Do you use a lathe to drill the centre hole in the axle? The bigger / longer the hole the less un-sprung weight.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #238
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,580
Spare Bike

Got me a spare bike! My '95 KTM seems to always have an issue but this old beast seems to run like a top......

Thanks ZECATFISH for not buying it, I was having thumper withdrawals..

Newner screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 03:59 PM
Newner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #239
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

1st try: insert allen wrench, tap repeatedly with hammer = no go. Bolt doesn't move.

2nd try: vice the fork tube, use allen socket on breaker bar = no go. Bolt turns slowly in place.

3rd try: reinstall springs, vice fork tube, use Milwaukee impact driver = no go. Bolt turns faster in place (I really hope I didn't melt the oil seal onto the inside wall of the fork tube. No, I did not land on the trigger forever. Two quick pulls and I realised what was going on.)

Then I get a box of parts in the mail to put my cylinder head back on and they didn't pack the head gasket (yup, the expensive one, $54).

It's all good. It'll be running before too long. Thanks for all the tips guys. This is getting to be my favorite thread/website.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #240
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright Newt, you are tenacious so I will quote the manual.

5-9, 7. Remove the cylinder securing bolt from the bottom of the fork assembly.Hold the inner tube with the front-fork cylinder holder (special tool P/N YM-0137). Pull the inner fork tube from the outer fork tube.

Simple Huh! I'm thinking the vice subs for the special tool. Stripped thread maybe? Can you work the inner tube out twisting side to side? Or hold the allen key in the vice and rotate the inner tube anti-clockwise.

Manual quotes 37Nm (3.7m-kg. 27 ft lb) Apply loctite.

Hey Newner, Fast seat cover! Mine ran like a top until i put it in gear.