Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #31
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior

P.S. - Does anyone know how to link just to a single post in a thread, and not the whole thread?
Click on the posting #30
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=30

I can tell you that a stock XT550 vs TT600 (note using the XT550 flywheel/stator on the TT600) that there is no comparison.
The Stock 550 is rated 38HP, TT600 is rated 48HP.
You really notice the difference in the seat of the pants and that the 600 just almost refuses to bog, just crack the throttle and it surges forward.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #32
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Click on the posting #30
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=30

I can tell you that a stock XT550 vs TT600 (note using the XT550 flywheel/stator on the TT600) that there is no comparison.
The Stock 550 is rated 38HP, TT600 is rated 48HP.
You really notice the difference in the seat of the pants and that the 600 just almost refuses to bog, just crack the throttle and it surges forward.
Excellent, thank you for that :) Maybe if/when the XT engine fails me I'll have to source a TT600 motor for it

Updated some info; namely added ALL of the stock carburator settings and valve clearances under General Info
Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #33
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
If that wire is BROWN like it looks, that should be a turn signal.
It looks to small to be a main ground.
If it is a signal wire then the wiring harness is all screwed up because it is way too far fwd in the frame. I'll check my manual for you. Give me a few minutes.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #34
Bart
Constant Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN
Have a photo of the front-end?
I'll get one for you. It was just a straight swap. I might have gotten a bearing swap kit but it was easy peasy!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #35
Bart
Constant Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600
Hi all

XT 550 wiring… Where are the ground connections?

I wanted to check the grounds on my ’83 XT550… didn’t find any. The wiring was grounded through the black wire running to the ignition coil…. That can’t be right…

I however found a black wire that wasn’t connected?? See pic.

Does anyone know something about this ??

According to my Yamaha OEM Manual black is a ground and judging by the location it is the ground wire for the Voltage regulator. Other items that have a ground connection are:

CDI
CDI Magneto
Neutral switch
Sidestand Switch (I bet it might be this one and the switch was removed)
Rear brake switch

That is it by the wiring diagram in the manual.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #36
Bart
Constant Lurker

As requested. 96 YZ250 front end on my XT550

Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #37
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

How much work was it to fit to the front end? I've always been interested in a front end swap but I am not one for machine work. I like things that mash together with very little grinding

Does anyone have any idea of seats that may fit on the XT against the tank? I remember someone finding a modern bike seat that fit quite well but was a little narrow, but i can't seem to find it via google.

On another note, not looking forward to how dirty the XT is after it's been in a barn for almost a year with little riding.

EDIT

XTwarrior screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 06:51 PM
XTwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #38
Bart
Constant Lurker

Quote:
How much work was it to fit to the front end? I've always been interested in a front end swap but I am not one for machine work. I like things that mash together with very little grinding

On another note, not looking forward to how dirty the XT is after it's been in a barn for almost a year with little riding.
It was 7 yrs ago but I think it was a straight swap. There was no grinding or machining required for sure. If you stick with Yamaha and measure bearing race inside and outside diameter, you can usually buy conversion kits for about $35.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:

Does anyone have any idea of seats that may fit on the XT against the tank? I remember someone finding a modern bike seat that fit quite well but was a little narrow, but i can't seem to find it via google.

EDIT
If you do the swap without a longer shock out back, your going to end up with a chopper.

BTW that shim/spacer cost me $20 at the machine shop.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #40
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Thumb

Quote:
Nice motorcycle, lots and lots of custom stuff done! Thanks for the info as well, I'll add it to the original post shortly. Looks like a damned blast!
Thanks there is a bit of work there and it has paid off. There are plenty of details I forgot the first time around. Similarities like the rocker cover vent, centercase breather, and dissimilarities like the 600 smog canister and different clutch cable. Again, all relatively minor as the these are all remedied with bolt ons. No new engineering required.

Quote:
I believe the Wayne Gum Hyperpak actually comes with a diagram of what all the wires do since they all go through the CDI at one point. My CDI had 11 wires and the Hyperpak had 12, I forget which one I didn't use but everything works fine.
I seem to remember this too, that I left one of the Hyperpak connectors disconnected with some electrical tape on the end. But everything that required a connection, in my harness, got one.

Quote:
Going to hopefully (weather permitting) ride the XT to a friend of mine's shop to have the front rim trued. Has a nasty vibration above 60 and I have this thing geared real high; does 85 on a flat at only 4,500 RPM's and I ride it at 85 the whole time I'm on a highway.
Good luck with that front wheel. I like your gearing, sounds like you are perfectly equipped to keep those highway R's down!
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Ya, I have it geared high for commuting MPG. The bike hasn't seen a trail in 3 years unfortunately, but that is also why I'm making it more of a road bike.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #42
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

And yet another snowstorm to further delay working on the XT
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #43
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
xt550 with yz forks

here is a picture of my bro-in-laws bike with a 2001 yzf 250 fork and a yz465 rear shock. To install the forks the original stem needs to be pressed into the yzf tripple, and a collar needs to be installed in the upper triple stem hole to fill in the extra space.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #44
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
My 1983 XT550 won’t run now. The CDI box is shot (I’m 99% sure).

Does anyone know for sure if the “HYPERPAK” unit for the XT550 has a rev limiter??

If so, at what RPM’s??
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #45
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600
Does anyone know for sure if the “HYPERPAK” unit for the XT550 has a rev limiter??

If so, at what RPM’s??
Not to speak of. I ran my Hyperpak XT550 at sears point to a very high RPM -- well beyond peak torque with my 266-x4 megacycle top end. Probably about 8500 RPM. Never hit a hard limit on the ignition side, just a subtle release in arm stretching surge that told me it was time to shift; way higher than the 7K RPM redline on my stock XT600.
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote