Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #46
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
I've never gone past my 'red line' where I can feel it drop off drastically. I want to say it falls on it's face anywhere after 6,500 RPM so I haven't pushed it. I'd go try it out if I could but.....I don't think the blizzard outside approves
Old 02-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #47
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
Not to speak of. I ran my Hyperpak XT550 at sears point to a very high RPM -- well beyond peak torque with my 266-x4 megacycle top end. Probably about 8500 RPM. Never hit a hard limit on the ignition side, just a subtle release in arm stretching surge that told me it was time to shift; way higher than the 7K RPM redline on my stock XT600.
I think the reason he is trying to ask is because he wants a rev limiter. Nothing will shorten a 4 stroke motor life quicker than over revving, especially a single!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #48
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior
I've never gone past my 'red line' where I can feel it drop off drastically. I want to say it falls on it's face anywhere after 6,500 RPM so I haven't pushed it. I'd go try it out if I could but.....I don't think the blizzard outside approves
Stock timing curve on the 550 retards about 6500 so you will not want to rev it bast redline.
From 6500->7000 it goes from 36* timing to 5*, that is why it fall flat on top.
From what I've read the Hyperpak cures that, and will rev till it blows up I guess.

Webcams: I read someplace where a fellow changed out to the Mid-Range cam and the the power increase was great, but then he had clutch issues and was going to R&R the clutch discs. Last I seen him post on it. So nothing more is available and I hadn't seen anymore reviews in the power change.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #49
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Stock timing curve on the 550 retards about 6500 so you will not want to rev it bast redline.
From 6500->7000 it goes from 36* timing to 5*, that is why it fall flat on top.
From what I've read the Hyperpak cures that, and will rev till it blows up I guess.

Webcams: I read someplace where a fellow changed out to the Mid-Range cam and the the power increase was great, but then he had clutch issues and was going to R&R the clutch discs. Last I seen him post on it. So nothing more is available and I hadn't seen anymore reviews in the power change.
I believe I read about the clutch slipping problems too on a T-talk thread as well. Granted the XT was never meant to be a hotrod

Cleaned up and painted my XZ550 shock. Now I have to draw up the plans for the mount.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #50
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
I think the reason he is trying to ask is because he wants a rev limiter. Nothing will shorten a 4 stroke motor life quicker than over revving, especially a single!
I agree, but unless the top end is modified (or oil feed is plugged ) it should take some effort to over rev this particular one.

If he does want a rev limiter and can spend a bit more, the MSD looks extremely trick and might be a good piece to try!

http://www.msdpowersports.com/single_cylinder.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Last I seen him post on it. So nothing more is available and I hadn't seen anymore reviews in the power change.
I am curious about webcamshafts too. The megacycle has a violent closing ramp that makes me think I will be doing a valve job when I replace my rings.
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #51
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

She lives!

Needs a good cleaning, but besides a stumble that went away and a random shut off (wasn't taking fuel for some reason) it ran like a champ! I can do 80+ in 4th gear

What does YDLS stand for?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #52
spacewalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
"yamaha dual intake system" i believe
spacewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #53
netjustin
b00b

you do look suavé
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #54
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
I agree, but unless the top end is modified (or oil feed is plugged ) it should take some effort to over rev this particular one.

If he does want a rev limiter and can spend a bit more, the MSD looks extremely trick and might be a good piece to try!

http://www.msdpowersports.com/single_cylinder.html

I am curious about webcamshafts too. The megacycle has a violent closing ramp that makes me think I will be doing a valve job when I replace my rings.
Valve floating would be an issue. Also connecting rods in those days were not designed to take the loads of such high revs............ for very long.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #55
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Well here's a question:

What should I get for a budget minded carb rebuild?

I looked around for a bit and found a pathetic excuse for a rebuild kit in Canada. I've never rebuilt a carb but I'm sure mine needs it. If the gas is on, it slowly drips gas onto the case. it could be a float setting but it also does it at random, so not sure. Either way it's been about 15 years since it was last rebuilt

Also, are DP Sintered brake shoes going to be my best bet for stopping power in the front?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #56
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
XTwarrior, if the float height is correct and the needle looks ok, you could try to polish the float valve seat with some fine steel wool. My 550 had a random carb leak problem. Everything looked fine including the valve needle, and the seat looked clean. But after some polishing (seat, not needle) the leak stopped.

Yours must be missing, but there is supposed to be a tube that runs from the carb’s overflow down below the engine. No need to let the gas drip onto the engine…
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #57
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Ya, it looks like it is missing. I'll have to pull the carbs I guess. I'm going on vacation Friday so I won't be able to do it for a bit but if I could stop the random gas leak my bike would seem 25% less trashy

I need to torch the frame and find the proper tools to 'blow' the dent out with air in my gas tank.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #58
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Thanks guys, for the info regarding the CDI's.

After doing all the measurements, I still was not 100% convinced my problem was the CDI box. I have worked on burned stators that measured within specs.

So I decided to build myself a cheap/simple CDI to be absolutely sure before buying a new one. New CDI’s are not cheap. Besides, I like messing with stuff..

A guy has done a lot of research and development regarding the CDI’s on the older XT’s, and he has generously put his findings on the web. Really nice of him!!!
http://www.transmic.net/en/home.htm

So I decided to build the simple analog CDI. To be honest I wasn’t sure it would work…

I have not messed with PCB (printed circuit boards) since in school many years ago. But no problem, the cost is low, so no big deal if the thing would not work.

The build:

Board blueprints

The board in solvent!!

Board and components…

Board, long legs on the components, as I planned to re-solder the board.…

Board again…

Notice the professional wiring…

So – I took out the plug to see if I would get some sparks. Kicked the bike… BLUE nice sparks…. YYYeeeess… So the original CDI was the problem, no doubt.

Screwed the plug back in, didn’t really expect the bike to start…. But it did…. And idled just fine. Gave it some gas…. Reved up fine…. And returned to idle and sat there purring.. Wow. Didn’t expect that.

Maybe I can test-ride the bike next week. It will be an interesting ride, the spokes are loose and the swingarm has play, the bike will be wobbling all over the place. Still I am kind of excided to test it, I’ll never grow up I guess…

I’m sure the engine will run kind of silly with this DIY CDI, with the timing advance of 12 deg jumping to 36 deg in one step. But I will keep the CDI as a spare part, since it works. Just need a waterproof box to house it in…

Now for the big question… to buy a decent CDI or build my own programmable one …. Hmmmm…
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #59
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
G600.....you made that look SOOO easy. You da man.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #60
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Valve floating would be an issue. Also connecting rods in those days were not designed to take the loads of such high revs............ for very long.

Just my 2 cents
Call me crazy, but I think valve float should never be an issue if your springs are properly spec'd and still doing their job. Then again you probably know more about this motor than I do. Wouldn't take much. :)