Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #631
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Need a part

Hi all,
I bought a 1983 from a fellow inmate, actually swapped it for another bike, and love it. After a while it started running poorly and quit on me. Hauled it home and started checking things out. After leaving it alone for a week it started up and ran fine. For a week. No spark. Already had the Hyperpak on it so I got a manual and checked the stator and pulse generator. They checked out fine. Bit the bullet and bought another Hyperpak. Voila. Spark again It ran but had a miss. Figured someone more experienced than me should look at it. The guy went thru the carb but the miss was still there. Turns out one of the tabs that hold the wires into the connector plug coming from the stator had broken so the connection. Great job of troubleshooting! The bad thing is he cut the wires off of both plugs and put bullet connectors on. I still have a good CDI unit with the original connector I would like to carry as a spare. What I need is the connecting plug on the stator side. That way I can put bullet connectors on that instead of cutting the plug off my spare. The upshot is that I wonder if any of you have a bad stator I could purchase the plug off of. The story is my way of letting you know that it pays to check even the things you don't expect. I wish I had. In the end, the bike runs great and I'm happy. I would like to do the TAT on it soon' so the spare CDI is a little peace of mind. Thanks in advance .

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #632
WetCoastRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
New stator = new sparks?

Updates on my pickup issues. Had a faulty 12deg pickup... Kick back broke my leg... See my older posts in this thread for more info...

Got a new stator assay off eBay for 100 bucks . Seemed like the cheapest solution. When it arrived everything tested well within spec so I installed it . I tested it out by pulling the plug and watching the sparks . Much different looking than before. I did get spark before but it was just a single spark about 1 per kick. With the new stator and working pickups I get what looks like two sparks firing one after the other, sort of as If the cdi is passing both pickup signals through*to the ignition coil. Anyway, still too sore to kick it over, I had a friend help me bump it and it fired right up. Seemed to run strong and lacked all of the old stumbles it had before. I am quite confident that all is well so I put it away for the winter.*
My only concern is with the funny double spark . Does anyone know if that is normal or is perhaps my cdi malfunctioning? I was under the impression that the cdi would read the pickup signals and based on the rpm change the spark advance as needed. I suppose if it's working it's working and I should just be pleased with that but my curiosity continues to haunt!*

My projects for the winter months include a paint job for the header and muffler , some sort of better passenger pegs that arent on the swing arm, and a custom rack build for trips, I want to have a permanent back rack with removable bag rack parts ... Still in design mode. Ideas or advice welcome

Cheers
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #633
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCoastRider View Post
Updates on my pickup issues. Had a faulty 12deg pickup... Kick back broke my leg... See my older posts in this thread for more info...

Got a new stator assay off eBay for 100 bucks . Seemed like the cheapest solution. When it arrived everything tested well within spec so I installed it . I tested it out by pulling the plug and watching the sparks . Much different looking than before. I did get spark before but it was just a single spark about 1 per kick. With the new stator and working pickups I get what looks like two sparks firing one after the other, sort of as If the cdi is passing both pickup signals through*to the ignition coil. Anyway, still too sore to kick it over, I had a friend help me bump it and it fired right up. Seemed to run strong and lacked all of the old stumbles it had before. I am quite confident that all is well so I put it away for the winter.*
My only concern is with the funny double spark . Does anyone know if that is normal or is perhaps my cdi malfunctioning? I was under the impression that the cdi would read the pickup signals and based on the rpm change the spark advance as needed. I suppose if it's working it's working and I should just be pleased with that but my curiosity continues to haunt!*

My projects for the winter months include a paint job for the header and muffler , some sort of better passenger pegs that arent on the swing arm, and a custom rack build for trips, I want to have a permanent back rack with removable bag rack parts ... Still in design mode. Ideas or advice welcome

Cheers
Good to hear, that sounds like the problem I am having with mine. I have replaced everything apart from the stator, and I have a spare that I will try when I can get my bike into work.
Dirtybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #634
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Got started on my rebuild over the weekend,frame stripped and ready for a few mods.I need to make sleeves for the headstock to accept different bearings for my USD YZ 250 triple clamps and forks that I got off ebay.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #635
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumbs down

I noticed this crack when I took the motor out of the frame, it does not look good.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #636
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Clutch cover has a large crack aswell, looks like this motor is junk.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #637
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep something seriously wrong with this motor, lucky I have another that I got with the bike.I took all the useful parts, Cylinder is in good condition,0.75mm overbore but looks pretty recent.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #638
XTFREAK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ouch, that motor took a hiding. Good luck with your build.
XTFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #639
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeh XT Freak, its a good job I have another motor which I have stripped and looks nearly mint!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #640
XTFREAK
Adventurer

I noticed that the crack was near your engine numbers, are you going to swop casings and not worry about engine numbers, Its a big deal here in South Africa but very difficult to go through the process of re-registering the bike with a "new engine" just our very slow, uneducated traffic department.
Hope it goes well and keep us informed, with pics as well
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #641
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't think that I will have a problem here, they are more worried abot the frame # being correct, hell i didn't even put my identification sticker on the last bike when it went for a safety inspection.I think here in Canada if you have the paperwork you are good to go, even a sales receipt is good as long as it jives with their records.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #642
XTFREAK
Adventurer

Laugh

Nice one. I have just replaced the front fork seals on my 550, new oil and doing the air pressure today. Started the bike second kick after two months of standing so am very pleased. These bikes are soo cool if the carbs are set right. Been riding my xt660 for the past two months and am keen to get back on the 550. Also gave my 79 xt500 a run yesterday, she my baby but obviously not as smooth to ride as the newer bikes but definatly worth keeping just for the WOW factor every time you stop somewhere. You can never just go to the shops without someone talking to you about the 500, its cool
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #643
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

I always liked those XT 500's.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #644
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

So I have started to strip my other motor, everything looks pretty good, the camshaft is flawless, the cylinder bore has no scores and the piston looks fairly new. I think this engine has been recently rebuilt.Sorry about the not so good pic.I will check the bore size with a bore gauge later.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #645
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Mint Camshft!
Attached Images