Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #751
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I am going to have a go at plastic welding, I have to weld my airbox as it is broken in the corner. I am going to use some of Brilliant Bobs "Rapid Fix" If you have not seen this stuff, check out the video on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmgEkbp5eM I will see if this shite is as good as it says.
Attached Images

Dirtybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #752
Tenstrike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Plastics?

Dirtybrit, did those plastics come from the UK or were you able to order them from Canada or the US? Thanks, cool work on the bike.
Tenstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #753
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenstrike View Post
Dirtybrit, did those plastics come from the UK or were you able to order them from Canada or the US? Thanks, cool work on the bike.
Ordered them from Motosport. http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/index.php I had to wait a little while for the fenders to come from Acerbis. I wanted all the plastic to be the same colour white. But Motorsport have some good deals, and I ended up paying no duty.
I think I need a touareg for the front plate though!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #754
Tenstrike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Plastics

Thanks!
Tenstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #755
GTIZRX
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I am new to the board I have had my 1982 XT550 since 1998, well anyway I have been reading this thread and I was wondering where you guys get jets for the XT550. More specifically the seconday carb jet that screws into the bottom of the carb. My bike is a late 1982 and it has the jet in the bottom of the secondary carb like the 1983. Well these jets are NLA from Yamaha if I remember right the P/N is 5Y1-14343-63-00 so are there any aftermarket jets? Thanks for any help.
GTIZRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #756
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi GTIZRX fleabay has them http://stores.ebay.ca/6-Sigma-Racing...&_sid=59552276 good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #757
GTIZRX
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Dirtybrit thanks for the link and I have seen those advertised but there are no pics of the contents of the kit. I am a little aprehensive to buy one just to see if the secondary main jet is in the kit. I know it says it includes everything but without visual confirmation I am a bit skeptical. Has anyone tried that carb kit? I may have to buy one to get a look at the contents.
GTIZRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #758
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIZRX View Post
Dirtybrit thanks for the link and I have seen those advertised but there are no pics of the contents of the kit. I am a little aprehensive to buy one just to see if the secondary main jet is in the kit. I know it says it includes everything but without visual confirmation I am a bit skeptical. Has anyone tried that carb kit? I may have to buy one to get a look at the contents.
I am interested in the kit as well. Reading the description, they will send the sizes of jets, dependent on what mods have been done to the bike. The stock jets do not work at all as soon as the muffler is changed. Been there done that!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #759
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Well its time to have a look at the wiring harness. I have two of them and both are not perfect. I plan on shortening the harness as I will be doing away with the quick disconnect of the Headlight assembly. I am using the Acerbis headlight and don't want the extra wiring. I think I will be using the one that looks a bit messy. It looks like it has been tampered with, but a closer look seems that the connections are factory.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #760
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

These connections are definately not original but I will be cutting them off anyhow. I have ordered some bullet connectors from http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html

and some block connectors also, so that my connections are all clean.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #761
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the glue that I used to weld my airbox.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #762
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

And this was the result, I must admit it seems very strong.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #763
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the mounting lug, and out of 3 airboxes that I have 2 where broken the same way.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #764
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Fitted my resevoir with the brake light switch to the brake line. I think I will have to mount my Vapor higher so that the brake line doesn't bash it around.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #765
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

I have started to assemble my bike, everything is just hand tight as I nearly always miss something and have to take some pieces off to put it back on. The chain tensioner can not be fitted if the swing arm is in place. That wont happen again!
Attached Images