Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #796
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 333
Anyone want to buy a Yamaha workshop manual for the XT . nobody made these except for Yamaha so they are hard to get ? pm if interested i will post anywhere if you are paying LMAO .
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #797
WetCoastRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
more xt knock

Sorry guys, I should have posted this along with the other one.

Anyway, here is what the motor sounds like now.

Basically the knock is occurring only at idle and it is the worst around 1500 rpm - if you go up past 2000 is pretty much disappears, and if it is below 1200 then it evens right out and doesn't sound that bad.

Sometimes you can't hear it at idle and i think it must be something that is loose. But if it is at just the right balancing point it will stay where it is supposed to be and not do any knocking.

Like I said before I have ruled out the cam chain as it has just been replaced, and it is definitely louder on the right hand side of the crank case than anywhere else.

Also, the knocking will occur with clutch in or out and in and out of gear so I don't think it is clutch related.

Rat It is occurring when loaded as well, if I put it in gear and run it slowly down the street I can still hear the knocking at around the 1500 rpm range.

Have a listen. this is taken when the motor was warm, it is usually a bit more consistant knocking when warm but is certainly present when cold as well.

youtube direct link here .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD4Vuo6Vsls

For reference, I posted what it sounded like before I did the cam chain on thread #734

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=734

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #798
PCK_4xCustoms
lost

Oddometer: 262
^^^ My 350 does the exact same thing ^^^

New cam chain, and tensioner, with valve adjustment. No change.

Only thing I can figure is piston slap
PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #799
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The cam chain might be the issue, but I would fasten the main nuts (clutch, crank schaft, ballancer) first. They like to get loose, creating a rattling noise.
Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #800
vilado17
n00b

Oddometer: 1
can anyone help me find a new stator and or pulser coil for my 82 xt550? could i just use one from a 500 or 600?
vilado17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #801
WetCoastRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Stator/pickup coil

I had to replace my pickup as well but found a complete stator on eBay for 100 bucks, it looked to me that the xt 600 pickup would work although I can't confirm this . Also kedo.de will do a rewind but it's around 200 euro plus you have to pay shipping both ways. I'd check eBay and make sure you get the seller to check the resistance on the pickups.
Good luck
Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #802
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Engine Oil Seals

Just had a great weekend up in Yorkshire on the 550. two days of trails, camping and enjoying the unlikely april sunshine... but boy did it blow smoke.... more than a two stroke! went through a tank of oil a day (well as near as i can figure with the hard to read oil levels and lack of dipstick!). so it's time to replace the engine seals and gaskets as it's also leaking from both gaskets and the kickstart, and possibly the output shaft.... yeah, basically it's pissing oil all over!

so the question to the uk based 550'ers is... where is the best place for seals? wemoto do a "engine seal kit" but don't actually explain what is included and they don't seem to do an output shaft seal...

also think the piston ring might need replacing....

cheers guys

Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #803
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 333
I have some bits for the xt engine , new valves etc and a yamaha manual if any one is interested
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #804
Rat Juggler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
As you're about to do a engine rebuild the only kit to go for is a complete engine gasket set. This includes the essentials like valve stem seals and a new set of exhaust gaskets etc, Theres a place on flea bay doing them for 31. It won't include things like kickstart oil seal, output seal etc so you'll have to source them elsewhere. Try bitz for bikes. http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Yamaha/XT_550/1982

Wemoto lists them but I'd REALLY double check with them as they also list sets of shims and bits for xt550's which we all know don't exist on this engine.Never fills me with confidence.

As for their complete engine seal kit thing, I've had a look at the photo blow up and can't for the life of me think where any of these things are meant to go.
Rat Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #805
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
cheers juggler, pick up one of the gasket sets.. now i just need the output shaft seal, which i'm struggling to find... any ideas?

edit: kedo do an engine shaft seal kit which has 10 pieces that i assume has the output shaft etc in it...

orlando_orange screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 07:12 AM
orlando_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #806
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...

Oddometer: 67
supertrapp

hey guys thought id get involved in this great website, figured it would help with my restoration project heres my latest progress, i didnt take pics of it when i first got it, wish i coulda, it was rough! but it has came a long ways, next is exhaust and a tank, which leads to a question i have for you, i am looking for two discontinued products acerbis tank and a supertrapp exhaust. if anyone has either i would appreciate the feed back and if you would be willing to sell it, also. on supertrapps website are there any of these products that fit my bike, or that you can get to come close to fitting?? i look forward to the replys, let me know what you think about my bike id really appreciate any feedback. take care
Jim

jimmybeam screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 02:56 PM
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #807
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Nothing,
I'm running a 50/55w H4 in mine, Baja Designs headlight.
ohhh can i see a picture of your new lights on the bike? ive been looking for a conversion kit but no luck. any pics or links?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #808
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior View Post
Welcome motorcyclefanatic! That's a fine XT you got there, looks like it managed to avoid crashes in it's life

The thread is here for use, so don't hesitate to ask questions or post up new ride photos or stories; I know I sure don't

Question for you guys; Has anyone tried to go larger on the rear or the front tire? I'm a ways off for a new rear tire, but I was thinking I'd like to get a little more tread hitting the pavement, and with the road tire it seems like there is some room to work with. What would a step to widen the contact patch a bit? I'm not that good with tires sizing, the stocker is 120/90-18. If I remember correctly, 120 is the contact area, and 90 stands for the percetnage of the contact area that the sidewall is. 20 90% of 120 = 108, so the wheel would be 120mmx108mm - 18"?
i am running Cheng Shin tires on my xt550, (front 3.00-21) (back 5.10-18) the back tire barely clears the swing arm.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #809
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybeam View Post
ohhh can i see a picture of your new lights on the bike? ive been looking for a conversion kit but no luck. any pics or links?
Baja Designs Shell with glass lens and H4 bulb, I used generic LED short signal light from ebay.

Its a franken bike, the Tank, Frame, seat and swingarm is all that remains XT550, and I really should change the swingarm to a YZ465 part for added wheelbase.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ZeCatfi...eat=directlink
Album link with lots of pictures.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #810
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Baja Designs Shell with glass lens and H4 bulb, I used generic LED short signal light from ebay.

Its a franken bike, the Tank, Frame, seat and swingarm is all that remains XT550, and I really should change the swingarm to a YZ465 part for added wheelbase.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ZeCatfi...eat=directlink
Album link with lots of pictures.
looks wicked! im trying to keep mine as close to factory as possible. if i can find a acerbis tank id put it on along with a supertrapp that fits...
possibly dif shocks and fork. THATS IT! lol. i have mine almost done, this winter once i cant ride it, its coming apart... bead blast frame and swing arm and powder coating everything.
i just spent 4 hours reading this thread and there are so many things to learn. NE who keeping it original to a extent? and trying to make it last a long time. has 12300 miles on it