Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #841
WetCoastRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Pissed leaky gaskets

Hi all,

I thought I would put up a pic of my new rack, for orlando to see, obviously not stock but it is sturdy as heck for something so simple. I just used 3/8" rod and a bit of angle iron. It attaches to the rear fender mount and to the tool bag nuts. Oh and a bit of a custom tool bag too, although this one is going to be rethought. - i just needed something to work for this long weekend trip.

I took it for a boot this weekend all loaded down and it worked great.

However, the Xt started to spew oil all over my boots. Looks like the new Athena gaskets I put in are as good as dog shite. And I did torque everything to spec. from the manual. Both the head gasket and the base gasket are leaking around the front edge. Not exactly spraying out but at highway speeds i did somehow manage to get some of the drips spraying around. I lost / burnt almost 1/4 of a litre in about 200 kms of riding. I think i am burning quite a bit of oil too as the leak isn't that bad and only leaves a drop or two on the driveway overnight.

Not too sure why it is burning oil, it could be going through the valve sleaves, it is a bit smokey on a cold start but this goes away once it is warm. - seems worst when starting cold with choke.

This kind of ticks me off cuz I just did the top end only about 350 kms ago and now it is leaking - seems suspicious to me.

Does anyone have any opinions about what type of gaskets to get? I ordered this full gasket kit from Yamaha and Athena is what was delivered. I guess I will have to buy Yamaha gaskets, one at a time.

Does anyone know if I can get down to the head gasket without taking the motor out? I know someone on here mentioned that the rocker cover could be taken off while in the frame and if that is the case maybe the cylinder can come out too.

yet again, thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #842
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCoastRider View Post

Does anyone know if I can get down to the head gasket without taking the motor out? I know someone on here mentioned that the rocker cover could be taken off while in the frame and if that is the case maybe the cylinder can come out too.

Yes you can.
No recollection on the exact brand of gaskets other than they were ordered from Yamaha. I remember spending a great deal of time on the cleaning up the metal surfaces and trying to get them as true as possible. It's been two years now and no leaks.
Attached Images

Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #843
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Please bid for me

Hi Inmates, Acerbis fuel tank never available in AU. Seller says "UK BIDS ONLY". Would one of our pommie brother bid and forward for me? Need the range. Happy to pay costs and send you a bottle of Bundy Rum! PM me for details.
Thanks Vudu

linky

vudu screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 05:51 AM Reason: Spelling
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #844
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCoastRider View Post
Hi all,

I thought I would put up a pic of my new rack, for orlando to see, obviously not stock but it is sturdy as heck for something so simple. I just used 3/8" rod and a bit of angle iron. It attaches to the rear fender mount and to the tool bag nuts. Oh and a bit of a custom tool bag too, although this one is going to be rethought. - i just needed something to work for this long weekend trip.

I took it for a boot this weekend all loaded down and it worked great.

However, the Xt started to spew oil all over my boots. Looks like the new Athena gaskets I put in are as good as dog shite. And I did torque everything to spec. from the manual. Both the head gasket and the base gasket are leaking around the front edge. Not exactly spraying out but at highway speeds i did somehow manage to get some of the drips spraying around. I lost / burnt almost 1/4 of a litre in about 200 kms of riding. I think i am burning quite a bit of oil too as the leak isn't that bad and only leaves a drop or two on the driveway overnight.

Not too sure why it is burning oil, it could be going through the valve sleaves, it is a bit smokey on a cold start but this goes away once it is warm. - seems worst when starting cold with choke.

This kind of ticks me off cuz I just did the top end only about 350 kms ago and now it is leaking - seems suspicious to me.

Does anyone have any opinions about what type of gaskets to get? I ordered this full gasket kit from Yamaha and Athena is what was delivered. I guess I will have to buy Yamaha gaskets, one at a time.

Question. Do you have a link on where you got yr rear fender kit? Or if you know any kits that would be white that would work on the 550?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #845
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybeam View Post
Question. Do you have a link on where you got yr rear fender kit? Or if you know any kits that would be white that would work on the 550?
+1 for me!

Edit: except i need one on the uk....
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #846
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...

Oddometer: 67
Hey my lights dim randomly during rides...I have a new wiring harness so I am unsure of why this happens. Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #847
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

frickin' bolts!

hey guys

i have two bolts to remove to get my cylinder off and i can't frickin' get them undone... the rest of the engine bolts came out relatively easily but now the two that are situated either side of the piston and are recessed through the cooling fins just won't budge.... it doesn't help that my standard sockets don't fit, and i gave up yesterday when i sheared the head off my 1/4 inch ratchet extension leaving me with no way to get to them....

any helpful advice other than swearing and banging ('cos i've done those already)?

also, i noticed when i set the head and cover back on there was a small pinky-red piece of plastic tubing sitting on a cooling fin... any idea where this has come from?

cheers all

C
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #848
WetCoastRider
Adventurer

Fifofi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange View Post
+1 for me!

Edit: except i need one on the uk....
Sorry guys, this was already on the bike when i bought it so I am not sure where it came from. I did come across an image of one on google one day, I went back to find it but had no luck retracing my steps. Post a link if you find one out there somewhere
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #849
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange View Post
hey guys

i have two bolts to remove to get my cylinder off and i can't frickin' get them undone... the rest of the engine bolts came out relatively easily but now the two that are situated either side of the piston and are recessed through the cooling fins just won't budge.... it doesn't help that my standard sockets don't fit, and i gave up yesterday when i sheared the head off my 1/4 inch ratchet extension leaving me with no way to get to them....

any helpful advice other than swearing and banging ('cos i've done those already)?

also, i noticed when i set the head and cover back on there was a small pinky-red piece of plastic tubing sitting on a cooling fin... any idea where this has come from?

cheers all

C
You will probably need something a little more robust, like 3/8 drive, and try soaking with wd 40 overnight first!
Probably gasket sealer as there is no gasket on this joint

Dirtybrit screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 09:35 PM
Dirtybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #850
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Well I got my bike up and running, sounds sweet even if I do say so myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3UhGr4c6M&feature=player_embedded

Took it for a 100k ride, ran as sweet as a nut!
Dirtybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #851
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
kudos

Yup, sounds pretty solid.
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #852
Ironpan65
**UNTOLD**

Oddometer: 21
Good Job there Brit....Was waiting to hear that...Enjoy the Ride
Ironpan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #853
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
If anyone is looking to replace the stock speedo I have a Trailtech Vapor I had Trailtech make for that would work on the XT550. It's brand new and in the box, never used. Been planning on using it for a couple years but changing direction with my XT550 build. Check out the thread if interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=16166146
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #854
WetCoastRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtybrit View Post
Well I got my bike up and running, sounds sweet even if I do say so myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3UhGr4c6M&feature=player_embedded

Took it for a 100k ride, ran as sweet as a nut!
Sounds good Brit , I really like you handle bar setup too, been thinking about changing mine. I think the stock ones look a bit funny, too far slung back. What are the rise and sweep on those ones?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #855
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtybrit View Post
You will probably need something a little more robust, like 3/8 drive, and try soaking with wd 40 overnight first!
Probably gasket sealer as there is no gasket on this joint
cheers, got the bloody things out eventually. used a long 3/8 socket and with the help of a persuasive rubber mallet they loosened.