Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #91
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Wow. That's not a standard Clarke replacement tank on that Aussie bike, it's a high capacity desert tank. Those things are rarer than hen's teeth!

I've only seen one other, on ebay a couple years ago. Don't know who made them.
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #92
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Yeah, thought it may be Acerberis. Tempted to buy it for the tank and front end. Oh and the supertrapp.

vudu screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 12:26 PM
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #93
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu
Yeah, thought it may be Acerberis. Tempted to buy it for the tank and front end. Oh and the supertrapp.
25L Acerbis it is.
LAst one I seen was on ebay a few months back and the seller wouldn't ship to the US. It sold for the low sum of $25.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 11:19 AM
Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #94
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
XT is currently apart while the custom rear mount is being made. XZ550 shock (wet weight of 500 lbs.) is going to be in for road use in the XT, and it'll be designed so you can easily swap out the XZ550 with custom mount for the stock XT550 shock for whenever you want to get back on dirt. A little bit of fab and work for the best of both worlds
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #95
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior
XT is currently apart while the custom rear mount is being made. XZ550 shock (wet weight of 500 lbs.) is going to be in for road use in the XT, and it'll be designed so you can easily swap out the XZ550 with custom mount for the stock XT550 shock for whenever you want to get back on dirt. A little bit of fab and work for the best of both worlds
XTwarrior, this is *VERY* interesting. How is the XZ550 shock different? Is it shorter? Any chance of pics??
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #96
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600
XTwarrior, this is *VERY* interesting. How is the XZ550 shock different? Is it shorter? Any chance of pics??
Sure, Ill get some pics up, I'll be going back tomorrow and I'll take my camera. The XT Shock is wider and longer than the XZ shock, about 5 and 3/8" longer, and roughly .25" wider. We cut open the old XT shock (which smells terrible) and used the outter cylinder walls to slide the XZ shock into. The only thing we have to iron out is how to keep the extra joint from flexing and hitting the top of the carbs. He's thinking of tacking on a .25" plate steel piece to stabilize any up and down motions. Since I'm at work now I'm not sure how far he's gotten if he did anymore after I left.

The other nice thing is that the XZ shock is considerably stiffer and has pre-load adjustment which should workout great on the XT of mine with the purpose I have for it. So, the XZ shock isn't good for a bike that is going to see dirt unless you mod up a custom mount like we are
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #97
5131dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
This is my buddies 1983 XT550 , He bought it brand new in 1985 as a leftover, stiil in the box. We've been looking for a Supertrapp exhaust for it. If anyone has one and wants to sell it , please pm me. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
5131dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #98
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
speaking of '83 xt550's

Can anybody tell me if there is supposed to be a rubber plug in the end of the 'starter plunger'? I can understand why there would be one but, the one that is in there looks like a foreign object. Appreciate it.

http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/a...4.jpg&newest=1

http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #99
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_sr
Can anybody tell me if there is supposed to be a rubber plug in the end of the 'starter plunger'? I can understand why there would be one but, the one that is in there looks like a foreign object. Appreciate it.

[img]http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/a...4.jpg&newest=1[/img]

[img]http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1[/img]

Cant see at work; attempting to hotlink. EDIT: No good.

Anyways, I didn't get back over to finish up the XT mount so it'll have to wait until Friday unfortunately.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #100
svakak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Swapped front end with KLR650: (unconfirmed at this time but works on paper; 38MM forks, disc brake, tuning options)
I can confirm that front end can be swaped with one from KLR650.
Also, frontend can be swaped with one from Tenere 1VJ.
svakak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #101
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by svakak
I can confirm that front end can be swaped with one from KLR650.
Also, frontend can be swaped with one from Tenere 1VJ.
Thanks a bunch! I'll update the first post to reflect the new info

---- I was thinking, I noticed there is a line going from the oil reservoir to the top of the valve cover. I assume this would mean it would drain from the oil reservoir to the valves? If so, I've been noticing that my oil reservoir is empty after rides. This would lead me to believe that the reservoir isn't filling properly for some reason. I don't see any visible leaks that would take pressure out of the system, and I have confirmed I do have oil pressure at the oil filter. I'm thinking maybe a pinched/clogged line somewhere? Is the main return line for the oil reservoir the line that goes up the front of the frame?

Thanks for all help, I'm just annoyed at this whole dry sump thing right now
Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #102
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
---- I was thinking, I noticed there is a line going from the oil reservoir to the top of the valve cover. I assume this would mean it would drain from the oil reservoir to the valves? If so, I've been noticing that my oil reservoir is empty after rides. This would lead me to believe that the reservoir isn't filling properly for some reason. I don't see any visible leaks that would take pressure out of the system, and I have confirmed I do have oil pressure at the oil filter. I'm thinking maybe a pinched/clogged line somewhere? Is the main return line for the oil reservoir the line that goes up the front of the frame?

Thanks for all help, I'm just annoyed at this whole dry sump thing right now

you better check your oil level and make sure its not burning it.
That line is actually a return line, if you start the bike with it off it will blow oil everywhere.
Don't ask.

I kept thinking my XT was not returning it, and it was because it was burning/blowing it past the rings. Thus the reason I did the TT600 engine swap. The bike never obviously smoked like it was that bad. It was just sucking it past the rings.
Cause: Hyper cooling of the cylinder in a DEEP creek crossing on a hot summer day.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #103
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
That line is actually a return line, if you start the bike with it off it will blow oil everywhere.
Don't ask.

I kept thinking my XT was not returning it, and it was because it was burning/blowing it past the rings. Thus the reason I did the TT600 engine swap. The bike never obviously smoked like it was that bad. It was just sucking it past the rings.
Cause: Hyper cooling of the cylinder in a DEEP creek crossing on a hot summer day.
I think 1 quart in 20 miles would be slightly obvious; I hope. I don't see smoke at any point in time when running this bike. Even after sitting almost a year I had no smoke.

I also can never seem to get a good reading in this bike. So I never know if I am low or not. To give insight, 2 years ago when it was my DD it only used 3/4 a quart over 3,000 miles. It had a case leak which probably attributed to some/most of the consumption, Motor is only 11,000 miles old.

XTwarrior screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 01:22 PM
XTwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #104
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
Wicked Facebook: Yamaha XT 550

So uh, nevermind about the question on the starter plunger. I just bought a new one. Have you guys/gals seen the bikes on Facebooks' Yamaha XT 550 Fan Club? Makes ya wonder what kind of access to parts that they have (other than the custom work done). I want one of those seats.
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #105
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Don't ask.

There is a check ball in the system that if stuck open will effectively turn your drysump engine into a wet sump engine. I thought I had that sort of issue going on till I really figured out it was actually that LOW on oil.
you might find more about it on the XT600 thread, thats where I was discussing it.