User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #106
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
Halogen

Ok, let's try a new question. I just installed a new Hella halogen headlight to replace the dim sealed beam. It came with a 60W/55W H4 bulb. The sealed beam is rated at 45W/40W. I have ordered a 45W/45W H4 (closest thing I could get to 45W/40W). What would happen if I run with the 60W/55W H4?
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #107
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_sr
Ok, let's try a new question. I just installed a new Hella halogen headlight to replace the dim sealed beam. It came with a 60W/55W H4 bulb. The sealed beam is rated at 45W/40W. I have ordered a 45W/45W H4 (closest thing I could get to 45W/40W). What would happen if I run with the 60W/55W H4?

Nothing,
I'm running a 50/55w H4 in mine, Baja Designs headlight.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #108
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
With clean grounds you shouldn't have an issue with hot wires from the extra juice, and also cleaning up all the grounds would reduce stress on the whole charging system I need to re-clean mine as I haven't touched them in 2 years and they are starting to rust a bit.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #109
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

And now for another question; those in the know, would kicking the engine over without the key in (to prevent firing) cause enough pressure in the system to push oil up the line to the reservoir?

I'm thinking tomorrow that while I have the bike apart I want to test all the lines for possible blocks, namely the return line for the reservoir. I need to know that oil is circulating properly before I do the 150 mile ride Saturday. Nothing like breaking down/seizing 75 miles from home. Just trying to think about how to test it without having the bike running.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #110
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Book says the bike takes 1.9 Qt. of oil. If you have the special tool to screw into the air bleed screw hole (on the oil filter cover), you're supposed to get between 1.42 and 2.84 p.s.i.. Book says that you can hook up a tube to the air bleed screw hole and loop it over your handle bars into the oil reservoir and that the oil pressure should be enough to pump up to the oil reservoir.
I'm thinking that if you're just checking for blockage, unscrew the oil return line from the reservoir and kick away. IF nothing comes out, try firing the bike off and see what happens (short duration, of course). Have a friend look down the return line while doing this. Er, make that a jerk friend that you're trying to get rid of.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #111
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Book says the bike takes 1.9 Qt. of oil. If you have the special tool to screw into the air bleed screw hole (on the oil filter cover), you're supposed to get between 1.42 and 2.84 p.s.i.. Book says that you can hook up a tube to the air bleed screw hole and loop it over your handle bars into the oil reservoir and that the oil pressure should be enough to pump up to the oil reservoir.
I'm thinking that if you're just checking for blockage, unscrew the oil return line from the reservoir and kick away. IF nothing comes out, try firing the bike off and see what happens (short duration, of course). Have a friend look down the return line while doing this. Er, make that a jerk friend that you're trying to get rid of.
Haha, that's what I was thinking (about the return line, of course ). I know I have pressure from loosening the screw on top of the filter area while running, so now I need to verify it is circulating correctly.

Anyone have a service manual for this bike? Can't find them anywhere.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #112
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Some new stuff. Regarding the XT shock mod I am attempting, I didn't get it done today. I have a rough mock picture showing what we are going to do. It isn't pretty, but since the shock is mostly hidden no one will notice. Furthest right is the XZ550 shock. We cut it 1" short so we are going to weld something up to make up for it.

As far as the oil starvation sound; I noticed that the reservoir showed 3/4 today when I checked it before starting, so the system must be keeping some sort of pressure. Also, after about 5 minutes of riding, the starvation sound goes away even when idling. However, if you ride 3 minutes, then stop and idle, the sound will come back after a few seconds. Sounds a tad odd to me, not sure if the system just isn't getting the right circulation when the oil is cold? It definitely is circulating atleast into the reservoir since it has taken on a gray hue.

Finally, I put something blasphemous on her today; 90/90-21 and wayyyy to much tire for the bike

Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #113
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Finally, I put something blasphemous on her today; 90/90-21 and wayyyy to much tire for the RIDER
Fixt.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #114
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Great stuff.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #115
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior
Finally, I put something blasphemous on her today; 90/90-21 and wayyyy to much tire for the bike
Are those Contis? I'm thinking they are something new because I was only able to find 21" street tires by Avon. And they weren't even full street tires, more like 80%/20%.

Not familiar with this oil starvation sound, a recording would certainly help. Is it possible that the valves are out of adjustment, and you're just hearing a clackety top end?
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #116
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Zecat, I'm not thaaaat bad haha. I'd like to see me hit the sidewall on that rubberband I refer to as my front tire!

G600, thanks! I'm thinking the rear shock and heavier fork oil matched to these tires will work great, I'm more concerned about braking power once I get those on. Not a whole lot of options for performance stopping on these bikes

Netjustin, They are Conti Race Attack Customs. I only found 3 online retailers carrying them and they are nowhere to be found even on continentals' site. However, I can very much attest to their existence. Just go to google search, enter Conti Race Attack custom 21 and search, then click on the shopping link and it brings a list up. I bought mine from Trax Motorsports. Not cheap at $125 shipped, but does what I need it too and wear should be less than normal on a lighter bike.

Now I have to fix the fact that it is on backwards after my group ride tomorrow
Old 04-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #117
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Also, it could be valves; what is the standard maintenance interval? I have about 3,000 miles on the engine since I checked the valves last time. My only fear would be that I didn't tighten the nut down enough. I seriously need to break into a dealership for a secret service manual for this thing.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #118
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

XTWarrior,
Book says to adjust valves every 2500 miles after initial break in.

9.4 ft.lbs. on the nut.

Also, I read in another thread that it's possible to starve the top end if the down tube strainer is plugged. Might wanna give that a check.

newt_sr screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 09:51 AM
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #119
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
XTWarrior,
Book says to adjust valves every 2500 miles after initial break in.

9.4 ft.lbs. on the nut.

Also, I read in another thread that it's possible to starve the top end if the down tube strainer is plugged. Might wanna give that a check.
Alright, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the torque spec too!

The topend survived an absolute HAMMERING today on the PA backroads and turnpike, so I'm pleased with that. close to 200 miles total with only a 10 minute breather. Rode with a fleet of sportbikes and touring bikes, and was pushing a Ducati Monster through the corners Only bike casualty was the heat guard on the header pipe rattled off, but we did have one rider go down on a Hayabusa.

I'll post up pics when the group ride leader posts them up on the other forum
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #120
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

XTwarrior,

Be forewarned, according to the XT600 thread, the down tube strainer can be torqued to 65 ft.lbs. (referred to as 'nipple hose' in the book, I think). XTphreak said he had to use a strap wrench to hold the frame as he was wrenching the nipple hose/down tube fitting.

Just so ya know, I ain't an expert by no means on this stuff. This happens to be something I need to do as well. I'm just repeating what I've read in these threads, and what I've found in the manual.