ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #1246
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
Sorry about the multiple pictures, I was having trouble posting. I found the tank bag at the local thrift store and the back rack is from a scrap yard. I believe the rack is medical surplus, it had a stainless handle on it with some framing; It's made of heavy gage plastic and arborite. As for the Yamaha tool bag it is from the back, putting it on the front felt like the logical thing to do, I like having the "Yamaha" showing!
Not riding? How about putting some screws in the tires and riding on a lake? Or pond. I ride every winter theres ice, Not very good last 3 years but this winter looks good!! BI(G ED XT T550 FAN!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1247
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer
 
Shuswap Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Shuswap BC Canada
Oddometer: 28
Not a bad idea! What do you think about my carb problem that I mentioned in my previous post, do you think it is my primary needle and jet? I hope to have this fixed before spring.
Thanks BIG ED XT FAN for any help you can give.
Shuswap Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #1248
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
Not a bad idea! What do you think about my carb problem that I mentioned in my previous post, do you think it is my primary needle and jet? I hope to have this fixed before spring.
Thanks BIG ED XT FAN for any help you can give.
I get a manural and clean that carb..Pinesoll works great!! Make sure your gas tank is clean. Clean the gas off-on valve too!! BIG ED XT550 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #1249
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,919
Nice to see thread still active.
I haven't start XTique in a few months and will getting back on it son at I can get things cleared out in the shop and get it out of its hole.

I lost a plastic side cover the last ride, right one.
So if anyone has an extra let me know. I have to get back to work before I can buy anything right now.
So just keep me in mind.
Thanks
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #1250
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Nice to see thread still active.
I haven't start XTique in a few months and will getting back on it son at I can get things cleared out in the shop and get it out of its hole.

I lost a plastic side cover the last ride, right one.
So if anyone has an extra let me know. I have to get back to work before I can buy anything right now.
So just keep me in mind.
Thanks
So, What have you been doing? No driving? ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #1251
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
So, What have you been doing? No driving? ED
Been driving locally.
But that had dried up for a month.
Been working part time since Dec 1, it suppose to pick back here pretty quick in the new year.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1252
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Been driving locally.
But that had dried up for a month.
Been working part time since Dec 1, it suppose to pick back here pretty quick in the new year.
Good Luck in your job hunt. Wife lost here job in may 2012 and have put out over 95+ resumes It sucks!!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #1253
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Futura's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
Not a bad idea! What do you think about my carb problem that I mentioned in my previous post, do you think it is my primary needle and jet? I hope to have this fixed before spring.
Thanks BIG ED XT FAN for any help you can give.
I had what I thought was a carb problem. After running great for a couple of years It would sputter and bog down under load making it unridable.

I took the carb off too many times to count, cleaned it to an inch of it's life, replaced needle and seat and floats. Even tracked down a new intakes as I thought it might have been a leak their. I even found a new to me carb on ebay and rebuilt that....nothing fixed it...until I bit the bullet and bought a new CDI and problem solved. Runs like a top again.

If a serious cleaning, replacement of needle and seat, and correct function of your float giving you the right fuel levels does not solve your problem it might be the CDI
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #1254
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 50
We need a forum loaner cdi!!!!! I will paypal 20 to the fund. I'm going to have to buy one too. If you want to purchase one asap and it does not fix your problem I will buy it from you. The one from Great Britain is 160 and I think 6 months warranty VS the New Zealand 200 bucks 1 YR. I would surely pay postage to see if your bad CDI would crank my bike. It could be a tester for a no start bike. A old mechanic used to keep one of the GM brains in his tool box that would tart them but when it got hot the car would die. His "tester".
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #1255
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 50
I got my CD manual a few weeks ago and searched out the troubleshooting on my XT. I do get some spark but won't crank. I ohmed the coil with the spark plug wire and the feed wires(primary wires) are way off spec. Reading from the plug cap to ground is way off as well. Based on my sheet that follows does anyone know if a coil from another bike I have here might suffice for cranking purposes? Any help is appreciated. I guess I can order one off ebay but wanted to get opinions here. I used a fluke quality auto ranging meter and I am an electrician but Am just embarking on my powersports career! Should I go ahead and order a coil off ebay? Anybody got an extra they want to sell ?

My coil results are jotted on the paper. See the chart troubleshooting below.
.5 ohm and mine is 37

6K ohms and mine is 14.8 K ohms

papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #1256
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,919
How handy are you?
http://www.transmic.net/en/home.htm
Build your one CDI box.
Someplace on ADV once was built and it works.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #1257
G600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Iceland
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
I got my CD manual a few weeks ago and searched out the troubleshooting on my XT. I do get some spark but won't crank. I ohmed the coil with the spark plug wire and the feed wires(primary wires) are way off spec. Reading from the plug cap to ground is way off as well. Based on my sheet that follows does anyone know if a coil from another bike I have here might suffice for cranking purposes? Any help is appreciated. I guess I can order one off ebay but wanted to get opinions here. I used a fluke quality auto ranging meter and I am an electrician but Am just embarking on my powersports career! Should I go ahead and order a coil off ebay? Anybody got an extra they want to sell ?

My coil results are jotted on the paper. See the chart troubleshooting below.
.5 ohm and mine is 37

6K ohms and mine is 14.8 K ohms

37 ohm is way off for the primary coil. Get a new ignition coil before buying a CDI. You need one anyway even if the CDI is bad also. My coil is 0.6 ohm.

I did build a DIY CDI for testing purposes, it worked fine but it has a stepped ignition curve. It switches from 12 to 36 in one step (the 550 has two ignition pickups 12 and 36.)

After confirming the CDI was bad, I bought a CDI from hpi. It has proven a great unit, plug and play, no problems.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #1258
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer
 
Shuswap Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Shuswap BC Canada
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura View Post
I had what I thought was a carb problem. After running great for a couple of years It would sputter and bog down under load making it unridable.

I took the carb off too many times to count, cleaned it to an inch of it's life, replaced needle and seat and floats. Even tracked down a new intakes as I thought it might have been a leak their. I even found a new to me carb on ebay and rebuilt that....nothing fixed it...until I bit the bullet and bought a new CDI and problem solved. Runs like a top again.

If a serious cleaning, replacement of needle and seat, and correct function of your float giving you the right fuel levels does not solve your problem it might be the CDI
I'm quite sure my problem is too much fuel, I have checked the float operation and fuel level and all is correct, the choke is seated and the air-fuel is leaned out as far as I go. I have a new plug which has a nice blue spark, it starts on the first or second kick even at -6 degrees C with no choke, but the problem is it dry fouls the plug fairly quickly.
I love how it starts but on my last ride I was 5km up the mountain and she died, I pulled the plug and cleaned it, thump thump I was on my way.
If the primary jet/needle was worn would it not let too much fuel go by? I have also checked the throttle idle setting, it is set correct as well.
Ideas?
Shuswap Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #1259
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Futura's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
I'm quite sure my problem is too much fuel, I have checked the float operation and fuel level and all is correct, the choke is seated and the air-fuel is leaned out as far as I go. I have a new plug which has a nice blue spark, it starts on the first or second kick even at -6 degrees C with no choke, but the problem is it dry fouls the plug fairly quickly.
I love how it starts but on my last ride I was 5km up the mountain and she died, I pulled the plug and cleaned it, thump thump I was on my way.
If the primary jet/needle was worn would it not let too much fuel go by? I have also checked the throttle idle setting, it is set correct as well.
Ideas?
I know I mucked around replacing everything else but the cdi. Spending as much money on that before I got around to replacing the cdi and fixing my problem. The list included a used carb, stator coil, ignition coil, needle and seat, and intake boots before I got around to replacing the cdi and fixing my bike. I was ok with that though as I want to keep this bike for a long time and spare parts are good to have around.

My magic powers say it's your cdi. bite the bullet
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #1260
Ironpan65
**UNTOLD**
 
Ironpan65's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Oddometer: 21
Love this bike...but need to thin the herd again...here is a link
( not sure if this is where I should put it..)

http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ448919429
Ironpan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014