Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #1321
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Now, that looks nice. Your posts are getting more and more interesting.

Are you planning on using a Grizzly 600 carb?
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #1322
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
I can hardly wait to see what happens next!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #1323
nuncanadamas
Sonntagsfahrer

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
That is a nice looking bike. I like your skid plate.
The skid plate was pretty common with the 83 German model. There used to be a welded steel type of skid plate with the earlier 82 models that I have seen a lot on this thread. The aluminum plate is very sturdy, not too heavy, and well formed around the engine.
nuncanadamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #1324
xlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeysmachines View Post
 photo Intake1_zpscfc554f1.jpg
Thankīs for the pics, i would like to find one of those intakes and try running a mikuni tm36 or 40 on my bike, i have moved the battery and donīt use the stock airbox anymore so maybe it would work with out hitting the stock suspension design....but if it does, what a heck i live in Sweden, there are a lot of old Huskys around here to "borrow" the rear shocks from :) if you should happen to find another intake please send a p:m with linky from the bay
//Mike
xlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #1325
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
Now, that looks nice. Your posts are getting more and more interesting.

Are you planning on using a Grizzly 600 carb?
Yes, but since I'm a cheep SOB, I milking eBay
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1326
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlv View Post
Thankīs for the pics, i would like to find one of those intakes and try running a mikuni tm36 or 40 on my bike, i have moved the battery and donīt use the stock airbox anymore so maybe it would work with out hitting the stock suspension design....but if it does, what a heck i live in Sweden, there are a lot of old Huskys around here to "borrow" the rear shocks from :) if you should happen to find another intake please send a p:m with linky from the bay
//Mike
I'm not sure what a "pm" is (personal message?) and surely don't know how to do that. But I'm sure there are others on eBay. This intake can go on either way. As the picture shows it point somewhat upward (as it does on the 600 Grizzly), since I have NOTHING in the way I'm fine with that, however if the mono shock is "close" to in the way, you can flip it so it points somewhat downward - although not sure the performance differences it may cause - if any. Can you not see the USA eBay postings?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #1327
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlv View Post
//Mike
Here is a link of a New One, 3 times what I paid. I'm sure others are out there
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-4WV-1...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #1328
xlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeysmachines View Post
Here is a link of a New One, 3 times what I paid. I'm sure others are out there
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-4WV-1...sories&vxp=mtr
Thankīs i sent you an e-mail
xlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #1329
Vin
Addict

Oddometer: 43
Pritchett Canyon

OK - gotta share my story.
Back in about 2002 I was riding an '82 XT550, my buddy had the '83. We were riding in Moab and saw a short trail on the map that we decided to try. We died riding up Pritchett Canyon on those old steel tank beasts but we made it. Later during that trip we picked up the Wells Trail Guide book and it says "considered by many to be the toughest trail in Moab."
The next day we parked in the same spot, but ran the much more pleasant Kane Springs trail. At the end of the day we were loading up the bikes when 6-8 riders came out of Pritchett Canyon. One of them was a paid guide and we stopped him to ask about the ride. He said he only guides groups top to bottom - just to hard to ride up. Then he looked at our old bikes and said something like "better get something more capable before you try it." We didn't even comment, just shared a look and a smile - told him thanks for the advice.
I love that old thumper low-reving lug. Still have her, but she doesn't get out much anymore. Maybe this spring!
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #1330
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Back in 2007 a neighbor gave me a non running 82 XT550. He had bought it new in 1982, put about 3500 miles on it when it died. He put it in his shed and there it sat until he gave it to me. I replaced the CDI box with one from a guy who made them in New Zealand, $175.00. Installed the CDI and it started after two kicks.
I ended up giving it to my 70 year old father at the tail end of 2007 and he rode the thing from California through Central America and back with my brother and nephew.
He brought it back to his house in Utah and sold it.

baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #1331
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Question Mountain riding

A question for those of you that have ridden your bikes in the mountains. Did you need to, or feel the need to, re-jet your carbs? I am planning (dreaming) of some rides this summer and am wondering how an XT550 would do in the mountains of Colorado.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1332
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
OK - gotta share my story.
Back in about 2002 I was riding an '82 XT550, my buddy had the '83. We were riding in Moab and saw a short trail on the map that we decided to try. We died riding up Pritchett Canyon on those old steel tank beasts but we made it. Later during that trip we picked up the Wells Trail Guide book and it says "considered by many to be the toughest trail in Moab."
The next day we parked in the same spot, but ran the much more pleasant Kane Springs trail. At the end of the day we were loading up the bikes when 6-8 riders came out of Pritchett Canyon. One of them was a paid guide and we stopped him to ask about the ride. He said he only guides groups top to bottom - just to hard to ride up. Then he looked at our old bikes and said something like "better get something more capable before you try it." We didn't even comment, just shared a look and a smile - told him thanks for the advice.
I love that old thumper low-reving lug. Still have her, but she doesn't get out much anymore. Maybe this spring!
Isn't great to be the underdog, and knowing that they are the clueless. Great story.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #1333
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldman1 View Post
Back in 2007 a neighbor gave me a non running 82 XT550. He had bought it new in 1982, put about 3500 miles on it when it died. He put it in his shed and there it sat until he gave it to me. I replaced the CDI box with one from a guy who made them in New Zealand, $175.00. Installed the CDI and it started after two kicks.
I ended up giving it to my 70 year old father at the tail end of 2007 and he rode the thing from California through Central America and back with my brother and nephew.
He brought it back to his house in Utah and sold it.

Too bad he didn't give it back. But good for him on the ride! Any links on the CDI web-site?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #1334
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

HyperPak CDI

http://www.erd.co.nz/

http://myworld.ebay.com/wayne.gum/
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #1335
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Frame is done

Nice day for sand blasting. Dried out the sand in the sun, made the blasting fort in my driveway (neighbor wondering what I'm doing) and blasted away. Cleaned, then one coat or primer and 3 coats of Husqvarnia white (well as close as it gets anyway). photo frameleftside_zps4a9d290d.jpg photo Framerightside_zpsc2e48ebb.jpg photo Engineincarbview_zpsaf0eb3bd.jpg

sharkeysmachines screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 06:39 PM