Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #1366
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Hey Sharkey, What size main jet do those 550s run in the secondary carb? I need a 130 or a 125. Thanks, thumpthump
They come stock with a 125. They are not a conventional Main Jet either. BikeBandit.com shows all jet sizes - with pictures!
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #1367
papawhellie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Carb help/running but no rpm,s?? Big Ed Someboby HELP??!!

i ORDERED THE cdi FROM gREAT bRITAIN AND SHE FIRED OFF WITHING 10 MINUTES. Now I rode her 3 or 4 miles. Over just a little RPM it bogs and dies. Looking at my carburetor I do not have the nozzle and main in the right hand carb with no bowl. I remember seeing the ebay mod kit posted here. All I have is the brass cap pictured below. I am clueless...Plaease help, anyone have part # 5Y1-14355-00-00 and 5Y1-14343-63-00?? or the mod kit, junked carbs etc?
Is this my problem? Idles and runs fine till you twist to that point and then dead?? Let off and picks back up. Other main jet is clear.

papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #1368
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
i ORDERED THE cdi FROM gREAT bRITAIN AND SHE FIRED OFF WITHING 10 MINUTES. Now I rode her 3 or 4 miles. Over just a little RPM it bogs and dies. Looking at my carburetor I do not have the nozzle and main in the right hand carb with no bowl. I remember seeing the ebay mod kit posted here. All I have is the brass cap pictured below. I am clueless...Plaease help, anyone have part # 5Y1-14355-00-00 and 5Y1-14343-63-00?? or the mod kit, junked carbs etc?
Is this my problem? Idles and runs fine till you twist to that point and then dead?? Let off and picks back up. Other main jet is clear.

Papawhellie, the main jet for the bowl-less carb needs a nipple on the bottom. There is a hose that connects that jet to the carb with the bowl. This is a picture of what the jet on the bowl-less carb should look like. I am about to order a CDI too from a British company, but noticed it was missing a 3 pin connector that mine has, did yours come with 2 white connectors with 3 pins in each? If so, who did you get it from? photo 2ndcarbmainjet_zpsbc40e491.jpg
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #1369
papawhellie
Adventurer

Can you post a picture of the nozzle jet for that carb. I think mine is missing. I see a little brass in thew hole but am thinking it is just a bushing for the needle Part # ..5Y1-14355-00-00
NOZZLE, MAIN

I oredered one from $peed and $port for 28 bucks. I will get you some pictures of the cdi installed.

Check out this thread for who I ordered the cdi from. It was 166 bucks shipped. I made several offers to the New Zealand seller but he wouldn't get in Lisa's price range.

http://www.yamahaenduro.com/showthread.php?t=25078
Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #1370
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
It looks to me like you are missing the upgrade kit to your carb. There is still one available on ebay, look up 1982 xt 550 carb float bowl modification kit, its NOS. The seller is michaelsrenopowersports. This kit will give you a new bottom with jet and nipple which will supply more fuel to the secondary side. I installed the kit and it fixed the hesitation and popping I was getting around mid throttle, I'm not sure if this is the problem that you have. Good luck!
Shuswap Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #1371
papawhellie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
It looks to me like you are missing the upgrade kit to your carb. There is still one available on ebay, look up 1982 xt 550 carb float bowl modification kit, its NOS. The seller is michaelsrenopowersports. This kit will give you a new bottom with jet and nipple which will supply more fuel to the secondary side. I installed the kit and it fixed the hesitation and popping I was getting around mid throttle, I'm not sure if this is the problem that you have. Good luck!
I called he is out. I have one coming though.
Mine just dies above 1/4 throttle. Looks to me the main nozzle on the bowless carburetor is gone. Anyone have a photo of the nozzle lurking on their photobucket.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #1372
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuncanadamas View Post
Nice car in the back...
Thanks, it's a Land Rover Series of course, with an XT550 mounted on the back in case it breaks down ;)
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #1373
papawhellie
Adventurer

Anyone have an 82 OEM tailight for sale with bracket. Mine is missing and I don't want to rehole my fender as I am stock kinda guy. Or post up your tailight systems for me to gaze at. I am also extremely cheap and could care less about DOT rules so postem up! Conforming to society and following rules is loosely if at all adhered to.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #1374
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the nozzle jet for that carb. I think mine is missing. I see a little brass in thew hole but am thinking it is just a bushing for the needle Part # ..5Y1-14355-00-00
NOZZLE, MAIN

I oredered one from $peed and $port for 28 bucks. I will get you some pictures of the cdi installed.

Check out this thread for who I ordered the cdi from. It was 166 bucks shipped. I made several offers to the New Zealand seller but he wouldn't get in Lisa's price range.

http://www.yamahaenduro.com/showthread.php?t=25078
Here is a pic from Bike Bandit. #26 is what it looks like - #41 is what I sent a pic of earlier. Why or how that would be missing is very odd? How is the diaphragm on the bowl-less carb. If there is a hair-line crack, that slide won't move at all. And I can't believe you said "Lisa" that's who I'm dealing with now! Very nice to deal with. She verified my connector concern. I'm getting the CD4606. photo Snip20130419_1_zps2a3330f5.png
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #1375
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Anyone have an 82 OEM tailight for sale with bracket. Mine is missing and I don't want to rehole my fender as I am stock kinda guy. Or post up your tailight systems for me to gaze at. I am also extremely cheap and could care less about DOT rules so postem up! Conforming to society and following rules is loosely if at all adhered to.
I would strongly suggest - as I'm cheap too - checking out trailer tail light kits. You'll just need to be creative enough to make the base
Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #1376
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer

Has anyone had any experience putting a Pirelli MT-43 on their XT550?

I'm looking for the sizing of the widest tire that would fit. Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #1377
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Here is a pic of that part off of my old carb which ran flawlessly for three years. Looks just like yours

I had the exact same problem you describe last summer (read all about it in this thread). I too thought my problems were carb-based, and even though I ended up replacing the carb (and other parts) it wasn't until I got a new CDI did my bogging out at throttle-up stop.

I bought the New Zealand CDI btw.

Hope this helps

Futura screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 07:11 AM
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #1378
Hungry Valley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My modified XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura View Post
That is a great looking XT! Modified how and what tires do you have on?
Engine is stock except for filter and slip on supertrap.Forks are off an 82 IT 465 and swingarm off a 79 YZ400.The shock is off the IT465.The biggest mod was repositioning the upper shock mount.The gas tank is a 5 gallon Acerbis.Tires are Kenda.
Hungry Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #1379
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura View Post
Thanks, it's a Land Rover Series of course, with an XT550 mounted on the back in case it breaks down ;)
Love it. Old school, simple, reliable... the perfect package.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1380
xlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_sr View Post
These guys are nuts... in a good way, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisarkman

I want to have power like that in my XT, wonder whats been done to those engines, looked like fun :)
xlv is offline   Reply With Quote