Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #1411
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
Well now the bike won't get spark? I don't get it?? Ay help would be awesome I am hoping I can get a new coil and that will be good. Any clue on what could cause it from sparking to not sparking?
First place to start is always the kick stand switch.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #1412
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 638
Seriously there is a kick stand safety switch??? Thanks!
OEF 12
ivel_86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #1413
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
Seriously there is a kick stand safety switch??? Thanks!
Yup. Disconnect it and then kick her over. Got spark your good to go, then throw the friggin switch in the garbage.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #1414
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 179
Hey p0wn, You run a piece of cable from the frame or the skid plate to the brake pedal . You drill a small hole or use a loop. Do the same on the shifter. You can make them or buy them from parts unlimited. This is old school and was standard practice when I was a kid in the 70s. My 86 tx600 is set up this way for the same reason. Mount it to the frame or skid plate further forward than the lever so stuff will tend to slide by. Be sure not to restrict the full movement of your brake pedal. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #1415
p0wn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Hey p0wn, You run a piece of cable from the frame or the skid plate to the brake pedal . You drill a small hole or use a loop. Do the same on the shifter. You can make them or buy them from parts unlimited. This is old school and was standard practice when I was a kid in the 70s. My 86 tx600 is set up this way for the same reason. Mount it to the frame or skid plate further forward than the lever so stuff will tend to slide by. Be sure not to restrict the full movement of your brake pedal. thumpthump
Thanks, this sounds good.
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #1416
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 70
It's ALIVE!

The 1983 Yamaha XT550/1983 Husqvarna 250XC is ALIVE.
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #1417
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
The video won't play for me.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #1418
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
The video won't play for me.
I uploaded it to YouTube

http://youtu.be/Gpv075Biz2g

Its short (my son hit the pause a bit quick). I took it for a ride today (rain yesterday) and the single carb offers a TON. Made two burn-out marks in the Garage! 1st kick every time - no exaggeration.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #1419
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I had an 82 and the sidestand left me in the middle of nowhere one day. Just cut the wires and reconnected them and it worked fine...last long time! ;-D

It really was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I used to commute from Bakersfield to San Diego on it.

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #1420
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeysmachines View Post
I uploaded it to YouTube

Its short (my son hit the pause a bit quick). I took it for a ride today (rain yesterday) and the single carb offers a TON. Made two burn-out marks in the Garage! 1st kick every time - no exaggeration.

That is one unique motorcycle. Looking forward to more pics/videos.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #1421
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeysmachines View Post
I uploaded it to YouTube

You did a really nice job. I like the way it sounds.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #1422
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

XT550 Husqvarna Specal

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
That is one unique motorcycle. Looking forward to more pics/videos.
I used YouTube again. The sucking sound heard when I got close to show the single carb is the huge K&N under the seat. The little filter is the crank case breather. Battery is now located in the Yamaha tool pouch (got an AGM design battery, and it can lay on its side - can't spill). And the wonderful $55 Yashimura.

http://youtu.be/aZok-mFWTss
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #1423
Sekkusu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
So real quick. I tried search and I don't really feel like reading through 95 pages of this thread.

Does anyone know if the exhaust is the same from the end of the header back on a xt600?

Also Papa did you ever sort out your carb issue? Mine was fixed by a few things. Though mainly jetting and needle. I ordered a XT600 carb needle and put it on one of the lower ticks as the one that comes stock has no adjustment. Also your carb setup doesn't seem to have gone back to the dealer by the original owner. The secondary jet connected to a hose out of the main was a recall thing they did back in late 82. It looks like yours is using the early style. If you switch there is a little stopper that is supposed to go in the bottom of the mains float bowl.

I also found that Mikuni jets work fine in the main mine is using a 118 on a straight pipe exhaust at 5000ft. Also be extremely anal about the secondary engagement. 10mm open is where it is supposed to engage the secondary. I used an old bit of semi hard plastic to hold the plunger up while I made the adjustments. The other thing to check would be the arm seals. One of mine were slightly torn which I'm sure made a small vacuum leak.

You could do all that or find a way to single carb it. I know many who have had success doing that. But I love when the secondary opens up and especially on the freeway. Hell Harleys don't want to stick around. It's a phenomenal safety feature that straight pipe. I really should look into a new air filter.

I did more just because I was in the carb anyway. Like replaced all the seals because most of them were dry.

Sekkusu screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 10:33 AM
Sekkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #1424
DJCW
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question starter lever

anyone know the correct postion for cold start and for normal run?

DJCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #1425
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Parts

Hi all, if anyone is looking for a muffler check out www.smebike.com I just got mine, it is black in color and it looks just like the stock one, your stock heat shields bolt on and it has the baffle included. You can order complete from header pipe back or just the muffler. It cost me $235 plus $60 to ship from New Zealand to BC Canada.
If you are looking for carb parts, check out Speed and Sport, I got a NOS starter kit for $90 plus $20 for shipping, they have tons of old Yamaha parts!
Also, on EBAY they have a CDI for $110 US but it's for European models only, what's the difference?

Shuswap Rider screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 07:51 AM
Shuswap Rider is offline   Reply With Quote