ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #1426
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCW View Post
anyone know the correct postion for cold start and for normal run?


Your pictures didn't show up. I am not sure what you mean by the start lever? Are you talking about the choke lever on the handlebars? That should be all the way to the left for a cold start and to the right for normal riding. Does this help?
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #1427
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeysmachines View Post
It must be cold up there, a "good for you" for the true riders. I'm originally from the North East and now in Florida. Bikes are nearly year round here. However, I've become puss-a-fied with the weather here, and it is still cold for me here now - freaking 58 today! Al-stinking Gore- can kiss my Irish! Hope all goes well with the carbs, keep us up-to-date.
been a while! but yea got them on, and now i gotta figure out the default settings for the carb and i am having a hard time figuring this out... i searched the threads and i didnt find anything, though i didnt look as hard. wondering if you possibly had some knowlage you could pass on??? bike is looking badass. wish i could test ride that!
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #1428
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
Question Caaaaarbs

for the adjustment on the bottom of the primary carb, is that 1 -1/2 turn out?
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #1429
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
Seriously there is a kick stand safety switch??? Thanks!
Did it fix your problem?
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #1430
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Cahah's Mountain N.C.
Oddometer: 203
If you are referring to the fuel/air screw it would usually be 2 1/2 turns out . You would have to adjust it to suit your mods and altitude. Adjust it to get your highest idle speed. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #1431
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
If you are referring to the fuel/air screw it would usually be 2 1/2 turns out . You would have to adjust it to suit your mods and altitude. Adjust it to get your highest idle speed. thumpthump
Now so I'm understanding correctly, fuel air would be the recessed screw on the bottom of the carb correct?
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1432
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #1433
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #1434
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550
 
sharkeysmachines's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Flo-RIDE-da
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybeam View Post
Now so I'm understanding correctly, fuel air would be the recessed screw on the bottom of the carb correct?
Yes, attached is a picture of the "dead-on" no mistaken spot. photo Carbedit_zpsc62b8d5f.jpg
__________________
When in Doubt - Gas it!
Ain't No Ways like Slide-Ways
Imagination Counts for 2/3 your Grade.
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #1435
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Cahah's Mountain N.C.
Oddometer: 203
Yep, that's it. If it is on the head side of the carb it is a fuel screw and turning it in leans the carb and turning it out makes it richer. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #1436
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Yep, that's it. If it is on the head side of the carb it is a fuel screw and turning it in leans the carb and turning it out makes it richer. thumpthump
well i did what you guys said... i only got it to start once... ill have to kick it 47 thousand times.. then it will spit sputter then slowly work its way to a idle... then it just died when i put the kick stand down.. the kill is deleted off the kick stand so it shouldent of died... just weird timing... im about to take this XT to a shop to just let them do the business...
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1437
jimmybeam
Adventu-farmer...
 
jimmybeam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Stanley Wisconsin
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybeam View Post
well i did what you guys said... i only got it to start once... ill have to kick it 47 thousand times.. then it will spit sputter then slowly work its way to a idle... then it just died when i put the kick stand down.. the kill is deleted off the kick stand so it shouldent of died... just weird timing... im about to take this XT to a shop to just let them do the business...
i turned that bottom idle mixture screw 2 1/2 out.
__________________
"Children in the back seats can cause accidents if not properly restrained.
Accidents in the back seats can cause children if not properly restrained."
jimmybeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #1438
p0wn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 22
This is a super long shot I know, with the limited detail I can provide.. but when the bike is hot(after driving down the highway for 40 minutes for example) it becomes a pain in the butt to start and I have to adjust the idle(higher idle) screw to keep it running. It'll take like 6-10 kicks to get it to start if I stall it etc(happens a lot when I'm off road and not that experienced).

Anybody have any general ideas? The previous owner(had the bike for about a month now) said the valve seals leak when it runs a lot, but that's all I've got. I haven't cleaned the carb yet, and the bike was/is well taken care of.
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1439
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,198
Wink XT 550 hard to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wn View Post
This is a super long shot I know, with the limited detail I can provide.. but when the bike is hot(after driving down the highway for 40 minutes for example) it becomes a pain in the butt to start and I have to adjust the idle(higher idle) screw to keep it running. It'll take like 6-10 kicks to get it to start if I stall it etc(happens a lot when I'm off road and not that experienced).

Anybody have any general ideas? The previous owner(had the bike for about a month now) said the valve seals leak when it runs a lot, but that's all I've got. I haven't cleaned the carb yet, and the bike was/is well taken care of.
Sounds like the CDI unit is on the way out. Does it run o.K.? Do you have the side stand switch un-plug? Try that. BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1440
p0wn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Sounds like the CDI unit is on the way out. Does it run o.K.? Do you have the side stand switch un-plug? Try that. BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!!
Runs well. The side stand switch is gone. CDI is not the stock unit, but was replaced in 86 or so. I'll look into getting another.
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014