Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #1441
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wn View Post
This is a super long shot I know, with the limited detail I can provide.. but when the bike is hot(after driving down the highway for 40 minutes for example) it becomes a pain in the butt to start and I have to adjust the idle(higher idle) screw to keep it running. It'll take like 6-10 kicks to get it to start if I stall it etc(happens a lot when I'm off road and not that experienced).

Anybody have any general ideas? The previous owner(had the bike for about a month now) said the valve seals leak when it runs a lot, but that's all I've got. I haven't cleaned the carb yet, and the bike was/is well taken care of.
It just may be the CDI, HOWEVER. I take from your message that apparently it starts fine when cold? If so, there are 2 main things different when hot and cold. #1 electrical components may expand, causing a poor connection (CDI), However, a choke works great to start a bike when cold, but if it is hot, a real pain to start. BUT, if it eventually starts - did the CDI cool down, or did the bike fire finally with the choke partially on? My youtube post, earlier, showed my bike running fine, but half way through the video I had to blip the throttle because it was too rich (I thought). All it was - was I never adjusted the new choke cable I used and it was partially on! On my first multi mile run, it was a BI-Oach to re-start because of the choke being partially on. SO- With all that. Make sure there is plenty of free-play in the cable. Then make sure the plunger fully seats. It has a rubber bottom to seal off the passage, it can either not be seating all the way, or that rubber is hardened and not sealing any longer. Hope this helps.
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #1442
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
petcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wn View Post
This is a super long shot I know, with the limited detail I can provide.. but when the bike is hot(after driving down the highway for 40 minutes for example) it becomes a pain in the butt to start and I have to adjust the idle(higher idle) screw to keep it running. It'll take like 6-10 kicks to get it to start if I stall it etc(happens a lot when I'm off road and not that experienced).

Anybody have any general ideas? The previous owner(had the bike for about a month now) said the valve seals leak when it runs a lot, but that's all I've got. I haven't cleaned the carb yet, and the bike was/is well taken care of.

turn the gas off after running it... immediately... start it with the gas off, once running turn it back on. It is probably a bad float.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #1443
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 187
Have you adjusted the air/ fuel screw? 2 1/2 out is a good starting point. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #1444
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Primary Jet Needle

Hey guys, my primary jet needle has 5C31 on it, my manual says it should be 5C30-1/1. Can anyone tell me what they have? I've put on over a 1000km on the bike, but it is still running too rich at idle, now I'm thinking the previous owner may have changed the jet needle. Help!
Shuswap Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #1445
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
Hey guys, my primary jet needle has 5C31 on it, my manual says it should be 5C30-1/1. Can anyone tell me what they have? I've put on over a 1000km on the bike, but it is still running too rich at idle, now I'm thinking the previous owner may have changed the jet needle. Help!
If its still running too rich at idle turn the pilot air screw out a quarter turn.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #1446
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
If its still running too rich at idle turn the pilot air screw out a quarter turn.
I have the pilot screw turned all the way in now,(lean) if I turn it out at all it gets worse.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #1447
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

What main jet are you running? Stock is 125.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #1448
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
I have the pilot screw turned all the way in now,(lean) if I turn it out at all it gets worse.
The pilot air screw adjusts air not fuel. That is why it is called an "air" screw. If it is screwed in it will make it richer. Screwing out lets more air in and leans it out.

Make sense now?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #1449
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

If the screw is in the head side of the carb it is a fuel screw and out is richer. If it is on the filter side of the carb it is an air screw and out is leaner. The screw on the xt is on the head side. It is a fuel screw.thumpthump
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #1450
Shuswap Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
What main jet are you running? Stock is 125.
I have a new 125 for the primary and a new 130 for the secondary.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #1451
p0wn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for all the tips. I'll look into all of them.
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #1452
longfoot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hello all from a newbie.

Hello all. I am a newbie to this forum. It is a little before 7 AM and I have to get to work, so I'll start out short and sweet. I live near Sheridan, Wyoming. I have an 82 XT 550 in running order that I do not ride anymore. Is anyone out there interested in buying it? I'll post pictures tonight and add more details. The bike is basically stock. I did put on a Clark plastic tank. I still have the old tank. It has some jambs in it. I took it of to keep it from getting worse.
longfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #1453
p0wn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
It definitely ran better this weekend, I had basically no trouble getting it started hot. I think it was the choke trick. I noticed it didn't go all the way back like you guys stated. I had also changed the spark plug which may have helped in a small way, too.

Thanks so much! I wouldn't really have put any thought to that choke thing.
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #1454
blackthumper
n00b

Oddometer: 4
xt 600 seat

Hi thumpers, does a xt 600 seat fit on the xt 550>

greetzz black thumper
blackthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #1455
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer