Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Sorry it will not fit.
Oke , thx Big Ed, !
blackthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #1457
p0wn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Anyone by chance know the steering stem length? I've got a lead on a drz400 frontend that I'd like to swap with but need to know if that's doable. the drz stem length is roughly 10.5 inches.
p0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #1458
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wn View Post
Anyone by chance know the steering stem length? I've got a lead on a drz400 frontend that I'd like to swap with but need to know if that's doable. the drz stem length is roughly 10.5 inches.
I just did a "tape measure" measurement. From the top of the bottom fork brace to the center of the top of the fork brace, you are looking at approximately 7 1/2" to 7 3/4". However, if their measurements are from bottom of bottom brace, to top of top brace then the XT550 is 9". Hope this helps.
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #1459
Kootenay Dean
FN NWBY

Oddometer: 2
Talking Soo Happy to find this thread.

Feel like a kid in a candy store. Bought myself a 1983 XT550 recommended by a mechanic friend. Bike he overhauled and guaranteed would be a great street legal dual sport. So Stoked. Pick it up on Saturday or Sunday when guy gets back from northern Alberta. Been sitting for 2 years but guy says a battery and carb clean and its ready to go. I'm such a noob I don't know where to start. I am pretty handy with the tools with my truck (motor overhaul, transmission, front end) that sort of thing but I havent touched a motorbike since I was 14. I would appreciate help with things that may be obvious to you but oblivious to me that I should be thinking about before I fire it up.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1460
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 802
Luggage Rack from other models?

Is there a pre-made rear rack that will fit the 550? I saw the link for a custom rack, but I have neither the tools nor skills to fab anything.
I would think something from another model would fit, but can't find anything on the web.
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #1461
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay Dean View Post
Feel like a kid in a candy store. Bought myself a 1983 XT550 recommended by a mechanic friend. Bike he overhauled and guaranteed would be a great street legal dual sport. So Stoked. Pick it up on Saturday or Sunday when guy gets back from northern Alberta. Been sitting for 2 years but guy says a battery and carb clean and its ready to go. I'm such a noob I don't know where to start. I am pretty handy with the tools with my truck (motor overhaul, transmission, front end) that sort of thing but I havent touched a motorbike since I was 14. I would appreciate help with things that may be obvious to you but oblivious to me that I should be thinking about before I fire it up.
If you could do all that with a truck, you'll have no problems cleaning the carb & 1/2. The only other concerns will be found when doing the carbs however. When removing the carbs from the intake boots, pay close attention to the condition of the boots themselves. Outer dry-rot cracks are expected, but all the way threw is bad. The choke plunger is another. The plunger has a rubber base, make sure it is still "rubbery" and not dry rotted. And last; the diaphragm for the main carb slide, make sure you can't see any light through it. If all these rubber parts are good, then you have it made - have fun! P.S. Go to BikeBandit.com and look up your bike's carb to use as a reference. They have all the pictures from the parts catalogs.
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #1462
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
http://www.moto24.co.uk/hepco-becker...ore=default_uk
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #1463
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
Woah! That's over $400!!!

I'm thinking about buying an XT550, but in order to ride on the back, my gf requires a topcase (she thinks I'm gonna throw her off the back, for some reason).
But, I can't find any (and, the HB one isn't even a consideration, due to price). So, I'm wondering if I should stop shopping for a 550.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #1464
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Is an xt550 even a good bike for riding 2-up?

I have no experience with the 550, but my 1979 xt500 and my 1979 Honda xr500 (makes more power than the xt550) are both not much fun with a passenger... especially at higher speeds
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #1465
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Woah! That's over $400!!!

I'm thinking about buying an XT550, but in order to ride on the back, my gf requires a topcase (she thinks I'm gonna throw her off the back, for some reason).
But, I can't find any (and, the HB one isn't even a consideration, due to price). So, I'm wondering if I should stop shopping for a 550.
Buy whatever GIVI ssize topcase you want with the mount and you can easily make a plate to do the mounting. Out of plywood if you had to.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #1466
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
Story only,

I worked at Yamaha Suzuki Sports Center when these XT550s came out. We sold a bunch there in Seaside Cali. One guy who owned a motorcycle accessory shop there in Seaside bought the first one we sold and when I left Monterey in 1995, he still had it. I talked to him once in about 1993 and he had over 100 thousand miles on the stock motor! He rode that thing everywhere! If any locals from there are on this thread, it was Dave from Dave's Cycle Shop in Seaside.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1467
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Buy whatever GIVI ssize topcase you want with the mount and you can easily make a plate to do the mounting. Out of plywood if you had to.
The topcase is the easy part... I don't know how to mount the plate to the subframe. That's why I'd need a rear rack.

As for riding 2-up... I'm sure it would be fine. My gf will only ride on a "flat" seat- no step-ups. And, she really doesn't like going fast (65 is about the max).
There are a couple for sale about 100 miles away, but I'd want to have the rack figured out before I even look at them.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #1468
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewto...t=xt550#p10661
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #1469
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
The topcase is the easy part... I don't know how to mount the plate to the subframe. That's why I'd need a rear rack.

As for riding 2-up... I'm sure it would be fine. My gf will only ride on a "flat" seat- no step-ups. And, she really doesn't like going fast (65 is about the max).
There are a couple for sale about 100 miles away, but I'd want to have the rack figured out before I even look at them.
You could make the rear rack as shown in the link above but if you just want a top case drill s holes that match the existing brackets mount and bolt the plate to the subframe. I've used hose clamps or even tie srraps on other bikes.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #1470
BuddhaXT550GR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey from Greece

I saw this forum while browsing in search for an original Giannelli exhaust. I saw that someone here uploaded a photo of a Greek bike that is of a neighbours of mine so i took some courage to post my XT 550 here too .. enjoy http://postimg.org/image/g8fx0x7f9/
BuddhaXT550GR is offline   Reply With Quote