Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
GSMark
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 840
I am new to the bigger Orange rides. I've had a few of the smaller ones... 640 Adv, 125 MXC...
I purchased a 2007 990 Adv about 6 months ago. I will be putting locktite on my slider bolts before my next ride.

I am so sorry to hear about your crash and problem with the chain slider.
I am happy that you are alive and able to warn us about this potential problem.

Thank you for sharing this unfortunate event. You just might have saved a few of us from experiencing the same fate... or worse.

You really should talk to your dealer and see what he has to say.
That might give you some direction on your next step in getting this rectified.

FWIW
I WAS one of those the guys that would say "don't add to the problem getting lawyers and insurance companies involved"... then I got wiped out by a car that ran a RED light. I didn't contact a lawyer and delt with the other drivers insurance company on my own. BIG MISTAKE. They will take advantage of you and see your "weakness" of not getting a lawyer.
They walk all over you. It was impossible to get them to pay my medical bills! NEVER AGAIN! I will contact a lawyer anytime I have a major problem. The insurance companies taught me this. They are their own worst enemy.

Personally responsibility is one thing that I believe in. I am not sure if this your fault like others suggest.

Hang in there, get well soon,
Mark
ē KTM 990 Adventure ē Honda CRF450 Supermoto ē H-D Sportster Streettracker ē Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
cdub122
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Years of roadracing taught me a few things, one thing I've tried to remember is that when riding a motorcycle there are so many variables, so many things we can't control.... Other riders on the track, the weather, traffic, animals, the list goes on... so many things that we have no control over that it always seemed even more important to make sure that what I do have complete control over is in perfect order. That is me and my bike. I inspect my bikes regularly, cleaning them is a great way to inspect them, and the better you know the bike, the easier it is to notice something is wrong.
cdub122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,700
For God'sake people!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentdirt
I'm not looking for a "big lawsuit"just sucks to get the short end of the stick.....thanks for your post well appreciated!
We live in the 21st century and in the US you live, the edge of technology you cannot accept this "Destiny" approach! Engineers and Dealers have to take responsibility for their mistakes!! You need to lead the world as you already do for us living in smaller countries.

His responsibility has two cases according to my mind:

1) If the TSB was issued before you bought your bike, he should have fixed the issue

2) If the TSB was issued after you bought your bike, he should move the earth and find you to at least inform you

My benefit in this is I would tell dealers and co drivers about your accident and how a law suit put him out of business, so people will start feeling more responsible here as wel. US law and liability system is always the country we look up to. Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 11:33 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Thanks Mark!

Thanks for the respond!It's almost like how the hot ckicks love the assholes in this world.Mr. nice guy doesn't get far in life.I keep banking bad situations on karma.Firm believer in it just wish it would pay off I am that guy that just doesn't want 2 deal with the bs.Deffinetly don't want 2 deal with the lawyer thing.Just not 2 sure what 2 do about this one.And I know the chancs we all take when we sit on that bike it just really bites when we do wash and maintnance our rides regulary.I'm pretty anal about it 2 not just being clean but I'm the guy that pulls out the tools and goes every bolt possible each time,well almost everytime.I didn't the time that counted!maybe with an Bones will heal and I'll be back again..........maybe with a 2001!!!thanks again
trentdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,064
The first thing you should do is find out if this recall has been done on this bike. You can do this on the KTM website if you have the delivery certificate No. and the vin. Or you can call KTM NA with the vin and owner info. and they should be able to check. Or you can have your local dealer check.

Ether way (recall done or not) I'd inform KTM NA of the situation in a factual manner, no need to cry bloody murder at this point. See how they are willing to deal with the situation.

Speculation on my part;

Seeing as the bike was new old stock 07 sold in early 08, the dealer probably got the recall letter and performed the recall. Hence the reason you did not get the notice.

IF the recall is shown as done, not much can be expected. But you never know. One other thing to keep in mind is that it is stated specifically in the mantainance check sheet to check the chain slider for tightness at the first(1000km)service and at every service after that, so in theory the bolts and component in question should have been checked about 2000miles ago.(you stated the bike has about 7k on it at time of accident) One of the pitfalls of doing your own mant. is that you assume the responsibility.

Don't get me wrony, I feel for ya, this kind of thing sucks.

Good luck and heal fast,
Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #21
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv

IF the recall is shown as done, not much can be expected. But you never know. One other thing to keep in mind is that it is stated specifically in the mantainance check sheet to check the chain slider for tightness at the first(1000km)service and at every service after that, so in theory the bolts and component in question should have been checked about 2000miles ago.(you stated the bike has about 7k on it at time of accident) One of the pitfalls of doing your own mant. is that you assume the responsibility.

Earl
Unless he paid his dealer to do his services...

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

checked

I did do the check with the vin# through a dealer.There were four recalls on mine,an oil drain tube,bolts I think for master cylinder,mapping,and of course the chain guide deal.When fixed all the fix's go into the system as done.None of the four were done to mine and I never recieved any recalls.

"Where the pavement ends"
Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Whoa!

Hey,

This is my second reply to this thread. I told you all before that I check and re-locktite the fasteners in question every so often.....Well I do! and because of this thread I checked em yesterday and they where loose!! I use the red locktite and clean the area like your supposed too, and they where loose! So check em! then check em again! I usually run a bit of silicon caulking in a line over the fasteners that works almost as good as safety wire.....those got hit yesterday.

Thanks for this POST!!!!

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,064
Do they(KTM) have your current address?

The only one you would have got a letter for is the chain slider one, as it is an actual 'safety recall', as mandated by the NTSB. The others I do believe are 'technical bulletins' and are to be performed on the 'next service' by the dealer.

Since you bought the bike after the release of the recall, and the bike was in a dealers inventory at the time of the release, the dealer probably got the recall letter. It was not only against KTM policy to deliver the bike to you without performing the recall, it was against the law. (here in CND anyway) Very big no no what your dealer did!!!

If it were me in your shoes, I'd be writing a letter stating what happened, and the fact that the recall was not performed to your bike, etc. I would send this letter to KTM NA, and cc it to KTM AG, and the NTSB.

I am a firm believer of taking responibility for ones own actions, but at the same time I believe others have to be held responsibly for their actions,or lack there of as it would appear.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentdirt
Thanks for the Reach program!!!Not sure if everyone knows about Reach but fot $50 a year it covers me and my family.Probably saved me about $15,000.00.If you don't have it you should check it out.
Thanks again...
Was is this reach program???
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Helecopter Ambulence service

Reach is the same as CalStar(California).It's an Air ambulance for rescues.If for any reason you need to be flown or rescued.Or even transported to another Hospital it covers you.For $50.00 a year it covers you and your family(living with you).I got hurt pretty bad about 3 years ago out in the desert in Nevada,it was quite costly even after my Insurence covered most.I did not have the Reach then but after getting the bill I figured it's pretty good deal.But I didn't plan on using it again???
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #27
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
options

While it hasn't happened to me...did happen to a riding buddy on an SE..and particularly since this thread popped up..finally got around to lockwiring and threadlocking this bolt.

Drilled a 5/16 hole thru one side of the bolt.

then another one thru the chain slider beside the recess

And then lockwire them together

Although it is light gauge, combined with the thread lock and a visual inspection to make sure the wire is 1. Intact and 2. not starting to wrap due to the bolt unwinding...should be good to go.

edit...I may even drill another hole in otherside of bolt and do a proper lockwire job...more better er...

Shawty
shawty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #28
BiHRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Good thread Guys ... gonna recheck mine tomorrow!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #29
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,879
By proper do you mean that it will hold the bolt on rather than lockwired to loosen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950
While it hasn't happened to me...did happen to a riding buddy on an SE..and particularly since this thread popped up..finally got around to lockwiring and threadlocking this bolt.

Drilled a 5/16 hole thru one side of the bolt.

then another one thru the chain slider beside the recess

And then lockwire them together

Although it is light gauge, combined with the thread lock and a visual inspection to make sure the wire is 1. Intact and 2. not starting to wrap due to the bolt unwinding...should be good to go.

edit...I may even drill another hole in otherside of bolt and do a proper lockwire job...more better er...

Shawty
Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,961
Sorry to hear that your another victim of this Trentdirt. A similar post of an inmate about 18 months ago, he was incredibly lucky to get away unscaved with this fault resulting in a 90mph rear wheel lock on a six month old bike.

Itís easy to say donít get the lawyers involved when youíre not directly affected.

Personally I donít care how long youíve had the defect; fact is its still there. When I checked mine, one bolt was thread locked and the other was finger tight, so no it wasnít secured correctly. This is not mechanical wear, failure or just bad luck. Itís an issue that has been recognised as a potentially very dangerous, hence KTMís recall.

Hypothetically, letís say the slider locks up the bike the bike hits another vehicle causing serious injury or death to one party or more. All because a recall hadnít been done.

Itís now a RTA investigation to the cause, now the lawyers are involved. And Mr Stealer would be looking at manslaughter charges and you can bet your life KTM would have their lawyers fighting their own corner.

Just Sayin.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote