Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #31
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
The very spot needing lockwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950
While it hasn't happened to me...did happen to a riding buddy on an SE..and particularly since this thread popped up..finally got around to lockwiring and threadlocking this bolt.

Drilled a 5/16 hole thru one side of the bolt.

then another one thru the chain slider beside the recess

And then lockwire them together

Although it is light gauge, combined with the thread lock and a visual inspection to make sure the wire is 1. Intact and 2. not starting to wrap due to the bolt unwinding...should be good to go.

edit...I may even drill another hole in otherside of bolt and do a proper lockwire job...more better er...

Shawty
+1

If there was EVER a spot to be lockwired, it's that one.
My point, exactly.

Good Job!

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #32
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,956
Trentdirt, I hope you are recovering well. Thanks for posting this, it has reminded me of the importance of checking and if need be, tightening these bolts.

To that end, are these bolts threaded into nuts? I'm at work and my bike is about 400 mi. away, and I can't check this first hand, but I'm wondering this because if they do thread into nuts (and not into the swingarm itself), then self-locking nuts might well be a solution to this problem.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #33
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
Trentdirt, I hope you are recovering well. Thanks for posting this, it has reminded me of the importance of checking and if need be, tightening these bolts.

To that end, are these bolts threaded into nuts? I'm at work and my bike is about 400 mi. away, and I can't check this first hand, but I'm wondering this because if they do thread into nuts (and not into the swingarm itself), then self-locking nuts might well be a solution to this problem.
Threaded into swing arm.
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #34
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
Threaded into swing arm.
Kinda figured.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #35
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
I put in a much longer bolt when I put on a new slider last month.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #36
Loco Moto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
My Cahin guide experience

The chain guide on my 07 990 also came off and jambed in the primary gear. I was going about 50 or 60 on a dirt road and the real wheel locked up instantly. The was no warning at all. I thought the engine seized or something but pulling in the clutch did nothing to let the real wheel roll. The bike was swapping ends and I was going full lock steering on one side to full lock on the other just trying to stay upright. There was no directional control. It took the full width of the dirt road to stay upright. Fortunatly it was on a dirt road with no cars and not on a street or I would have been dead.

It was impossible to get the chain quide out in the field and the bike had to be trailed back. The dealer said the took care of this recall. That's a bunch of crap.

No one was hurt and do real damage done so there was not any liability.

The other recall for this year is some bolts on the clutch that were loosening. They will back out and cause hell.
Attached Images

Loco Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #37
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 694
I just bought an 05.5 Adventure with 3,000 miles. It's has basicly sat most of it's life. I'm going over the whole bike. Tonight I checked the chain guide bolts. Both were finger tight and no sign of any thread lock on them. I had check with the dealer and "there were no outstanding service items on that VIN".
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #38
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Still healing...

I'd like 2 say thanks for all of the replies and opinions. Update: It's been one yr yesterday since I went down due 2 that damn chainguide It's been a slow process, had 2 have surgery on the shoulder just a couple of months back and it;s doing alot better but there is still something wrong inside there? Not riding 4 a year BLOWS!!!! But I will b back riding and hopefully soon...My 9 yr old boy is gonna b pass'n me by time I get back in the saddle...lol...I hope this post has made some differences to @least a few???
trentdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #39
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Soon?

Gnarly ADV, As soon as Iam back in the saddle I will b look'n ya up for some rides...Still recoop'n??? Longer then I thought...
trentdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #40
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 989
Still

Fuck this shit is still happening with the slider, that's getting to the point
of being criminal on KTM's part.
One of you lawyers out there should class action the cocksuckers
( I've been watching Dead Wood again )
This happened on my '07 990 in '07 and there were many posts on the subject. The punk ass KTM dealer in Boise wouldn't fix it without authorization from KTM USA, I fixed it my self, the clutch slave cylinder
and pushrod were trashed.
I can't believe KTM dealers let the bike out the door without insuring
this is fixed.
I installed a longer bolt with copious amounts of red loctite and check it
frequently.
I think the OC needs a cautionary sticky on this and the cracked case
issues.

Max
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #41
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentdirt View Post
I'd like 2 say thanks for all of the replies and opinions. Update: It's been one yr yesterday since I went down due 2 that damn chainguide It's been a slow process, had 2 have surgery on the shoulder just a couple of months back and it;s doing alot better but there is still something wrong inside there? Not riding 4 a year BLOWS!!!! But I will b back riding and hopefully soon...My 9 yr old boy is gonna b pass'n me by time I get back in the saddle...lol...I hope this post has made some differences to @least a few???
Sorry to hear your still mending after all this time, if you know what I mean. A lesson for us all.

Did the stealer take responsibillity and fix your bike?
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #42
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,313
I was replacing rear tire today on my 06 950 and found this

Fortunately my 450 has same bucket and screw, untill i get new from dealer. Red loctite this time.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #43
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,021
Thumb Safety Wire Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950 View Post
And then lockwire them together

Shawty
Your pictures are great & I agree this is the solution to the problem, as there isn't much metal for these screws to thread into, and I've already had my loctited bolts come loose within the year after (re)doing them in February.

After many years of prepping roadracing motorcycles I thought I'd pass along a few things a US Naval aircraft mechanic pointed out to me when I first started drilling & wiring nuts & bolts:
1) run the bolt you are going to use into its final position (torqued) and mark where you are going to drill your hole, then remove it and index it so you know where it goes in case of multiple fasteners. From then on, that bolt goes in that hole only. Hole selection will go to its fixed anchor point or the next fastener if you are daisy-chain wiring a group fasteners
2) the hole should run to a fixed object so the wire is running away from the fastener in a clockwise direction (for standard "right hand" threads) so that when the wire is installed & twisted it prevents the fastener rotating towards loosen. You can wrap one face of a hex bolt with the twisted braid, but any more and the braid can roll over the head of the bolt and become loose.
3) the wire braid should be taught but not "banjo string" tight, with no freeplay towards the fixed object you are anchoring to. In the case of harder metals (not aluminum/magnesium) be aware of hard edges (from your drilling for example) where a "notch" can be propagated in the wire. Stainless is fatigue resistant, but a sharp edge can initiate a failure. Holes should be radiused & deburred where applicable.
In your photo you have both excess wire & the wire pulls towards loosening the bolt. While it isn't going to turn very far, it will loosen your joint & the chain will do the rest once it starts to move. In addition a neat wiring job will allow you (at a glance) to see if anything has moved

To that end, check out this thread I just found from a Model T Forum, no less: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1203684828

Just wanted the Inmates to know the technique so they'll treat all their safety wire jobs accordingly. One of my favorite things to do is walk the pits at a race & check out how others had wired their bikes; some treatments border on art
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #44
Dave70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
KTM's with FD failures..

You know someone's gotta be having a chuckle, right?..
Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #45
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
...After many years of prepping roadracing motorcycles I thought I'd pass along a few things a US Naval aircraft mechanic pointed out to me when I first started drilling & wiring nuts & bolts:...
Geo,
Thanks for sharing your pearls of Wisdom!
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote