ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #136
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
Road Trip

I finally took the bike out like it was intended. The idea was to take backroads, dirt, parts of the TWVT, up to Coopers Rock, WV to camp Friday night. Then go up to Pittsburgh, PA Saturday morning. Return to DC Sunday.

Working until 4am Friday morning didn't help. So I got a pretty late start. The roads were great. "Intothenew" has spent a lot of time mapping his Trans WV trail. The first part of my route was based off that. It ended up being much more backroads than dirt, but the roads were spectacular. Took me through part of GWNF:

Then I started to divert from the TWVT as I made my way toward Coopers Rock. As I got Northwest of Deep Creek Lake, MD, my route took me to a locked gate (on a county road!) The Garmin re-routed over another county road. Prior to this point I was thinking the trip would be even better on a more roadworthy bike (like a $4900 brand new Versys ). But my Garmin re-route really made me appreciate the XChallenge. This WV "county road" was essentially a 4wd only trail with probably 20+ water crossings/big *** deep puddles, strewn with boulders and rocks. I have to admit I was pretty intimidated as I was riding alone. I didn't take any pictures because I was afraid if I stopped I wouldn't be able to get going again. But since I survived without any "Deliverance" episodes, it was pretty darn fun. Still would like a Versys to add to the stable, but wouldn't get rid of the XChallenge for anything.

I made it to Coopers Rock around 8p to find the campground was full. I guess I should have known with the first real weekend after school is out. So it was either hotel it or go interstate about 2 hours to Pittsburgh. I opted for the latter since I was soaking wet from the water crossings. But I guess a warm, clean bed and a shower is a good tradeoff for 2 hours of nighttime interstate travel.

The trip back was mostly secondary roads (Old hwy 40 in PA/MD, Rt 50 in WV/VA) Rained for a good third of the trip, but helped cool things off.

Would have liked to have camped, but it was nice taking a real trip and realizing the bike worked really well for that kind of trip.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #137
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Sounds cool, what's the TWVT? Do you have gps tracks of you trip?
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #138
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymoto
Sounds cool, what's the TWVT? Do you have gps tracks of you trip?
TWVT=Trans WV Trail
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384536

Over in "Laying Down Tracks" in the GPS Tracks East sub forum, you'll see it as a sticky. There's a pretty big effort to map out additional routes (though not 100% dirt) through several areas (NJ, the Appalachian Trail, a North/South route along the East).

I do have my tracks if you'd like to see them. I'd estimate that the route was maybe 20% dirt, if that. But the cool thing was even the asphalt sections were very cool.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #139
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,074
You are invited.......

Cat CRAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #140
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Tire changer for sale locally if anyone is interested...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591273
Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #141
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Figured I'd (re)introduce myself. After being away at school for 3yrs I'm back in NoVA - staying in Alexandria right now. Have a couple of DRs with me and working on putting my TL1000S back together (down for maintenance and addition of new shiny parts). My first love is off road riding, but my dirt bike is on an extended vacation in CO. I'll probably pickup another off road bike sometime this fall.

Any recentish MX tracks or off road riding areas? I used to ride at GW Natl forest/taskers gap a lot and raced the AMA D-7 MX and HS series (budd's creek, happy ramblers, Seaford, and a bunch of others I've forgotten).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #142
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Spent the last 10 days or so up in MA/NH/ME vacationing with the family. My brother and I took a ride up the Mt. Washinton Auto Road in NH. Been an interesting ride each time. This time we came across a bear wandering up the side of the road. Didn't stop for pics.

Weather was cool and foggy with 48mph winds, rained for a bit on the way down too.

My brother with his trusty CB750.

The Tip Top House and Stage Coach Office (note the chains draped over the building to hold it down):

They do have a train you can take up instead:

Getting ready for the ride down, but can't find the bikes?

From a turn out about a quarter of the way down:

Part of the road is un-paved, and all of it is kind of tight. I actually like taking the bike because there's less chance of a head on collision!

Highly recommend the ride if you're up in that area. This is what the summit looks like on a clear day.

This picture was taken 2 years ago during the same week in June. We rode up last Tuesday. On Thursday it snowed up there. Needless to say, the weather is a crap shoot, but it's always interesting!
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #143
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Very cool, great photos
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #144
Butters
. . . . . .

Saw an ADVer on 66E near Markham. It was a green 08+ KLR with Aluminum panniers (with an ADV sticker on it). Didn't catch the plate to see if it was VA or not. I assume if he was local he would have been on 55 instead of 66.

IIRC, he had a black helmet with a Touratech sticker on the side. Wait, that can't be, a KLR rider that shops at Touratech. Must have said something else.

Drove up to Berkeley Springs and back and was wishing I was on the bike - even with the 100+ temps. Oh well, A/C has its benefits too I guess. There was a big moto shop right off 522, south of BS. I went in to browse a bit and was impressed with the inventory - especially compared to shops in the DC area. Among the bikes they had in stock:

KTM Duke
Several KTM dual sports - 990 Adventures, SMs, etc.
Husky TE630-SM

They had a bunch of cruisers. But given its location it was more prone to quads and dirt bikes and therefore had a particularly good selection of DS bikes. Kinda nice to actually see some of these bikes in the flesh rather than just pics in mags and the internet.

Butters screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 06:49 PM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #145
Ose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Wicked

I went out for an hour or so tonight, just to get on the bike. The heat was still scalding on the multi-lane pavement at 7:30 - 8:30. Just hot air blowing past. Once on the shady 2 lanes it was better, but still pretty darn hot. If it keeps this up it will be midnight rides all summer long. Hopefully my deer whistles will keep working. :}
Ose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #146
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Well I'm now on the bike for all my transportation for a little while, and yea, it's hot. My wife's Jeep Liberty engine blew up, so she's got my truck for now. Not that bad once the dizziness goes away
Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #147
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Welcome to the club
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #148
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
Saw an ADVer on 66E near Markham. It was a green 08+ KLR with Aluminum panniers (with an ADV sticker on it). Didn't catch the plate to see if it was VA or not. I assume if he was local he would have been on 55 instead of 66.

IIRC, he had a black helmet with a Touratech sticker on the side. Wait, that can't be, a KLR rider that shops at Touratech. Must have said something else.
Was probably Twohawks ...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...568965&page=15
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #149
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCoMatt
Yep -
That's who it was.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #150
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters

Drove up to Berkeley Springs and back and was wishing I was on the bike - even with the 100+ temps. Oh well, A/C has its benefits too I guess. There was a big moto shop right off 522, south of BS. I went in to browse a bit and was impressed with the inventory - especially compared to shops in the DC area. Among the bikes they had in stock:

KTM Duke
Several KTM dual sports - 990 Adventures, SMs, etc.
Husky TE630-SM

They had a bunch of cruisers. But given its location it was more prone to quads and dirt bikes and therefore had a particularly good selection of DS bikes. Kinda nice to actually see some of these bikes in the flesh rather than just pics in mags and the internet.
Thats Ridersville, they are greatfolks. Harold the owner is a hell of a good rider too.He has some really cool bikes in the back. An NSR 400 for one, Z1R turbo, some other cool stuff.
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote