ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #2086
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
Shameless Plug:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839287

My 2003 F650GS Dakar is For Sale locally.

Seriously!?

Alright, whatcha gettin'??

PS. Got some info on a tree guy; PM on the way.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #2087
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
I like this guys priorities, the bike belongs inside.
I've had this conversation with SHMBO about 13 years ago, before we had a garage.
In our case the bike was allowed to stay in the house...as long as I agreed to be on the sh** list.

Nice bike

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #2088
Nib
NIb

Oddometer: 28
Good vid

Worth the watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s

NOVA Tag-O-Rama
Nib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #2089
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,631
Nice weekend . . .

First part is a re-post from the Nova Weekend rides thread; the latter part is from Snickersville Turnpike coming back from the distillery.

Took the /5 out fro a run today to the Catoctin Creek distillery in Purcellville. Who know?? Not me, certainly. But happened to see an ad in a local developers rag so thought I'd visit on Veteran's Day--celebrate my 25 yrs, etc.

Saw that XDrag and others were meeting at the Cracker Barrel in Manassas. so stopped to see if anyone wanted to to to P-ville rather than do the water crossing on Peach Orchard. Y'all know the answer to that--so Great White and I made the run alone . . . . .

Cool place! Highly recommend a visit. They're closed Sunday, but open most other days. Tastings are free--the best kind.

Unpretentious--located in an industrial park.

Scott was there, serving up the three wee drams for tasting that the Commonwealth lets him serve.

I kinda prefer my moonshine West Virginia style (yeah-just sip it at Laurel Fork!) so found the Mosby's Spirit rather stark, but the rye was excellent. They also do a nice gin, plus some brandies and even a nicely flavored maple syrup. I think Scott said everything's organic. Rye sourced from Kansas, Juniper for the gin from Oregon (Yeah!), and the raw syrup from Pennsylvania. (And yes, I took home a bottle of the rye).

Not a big place--says they bottle about 40K bottles per year.

Still from Germany. He controls the distillation in one unit, so it doesn't have to go back through to be double or triple distilled.

About half their storage.

Would make an interesting Saturday meet-up. Plus, Scott told me about the single-malt distillery in Sperryville. Hmm. I see a pattern developing here . . . .

Cool place. If you're around Purcellville on any day but Sunday, stop by and say hi.

http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/

On the way back, had to stop at the Aldie Battle site.

And a couple more near where I'm living . . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #2090
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 688
Rtt

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info.

I found these in Va......fairly local...The Cats did a Ride To Brew....maybe a Ride to Taste?

http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/
http://www.copperfox.biz/
http://www.vadistillery.com/
http://moonshine.com/
http://www.virginiawhiskey.com/
http://www.chesapeakebaydistillery.com/
http://www.asmithbowman.com/

I think we can do these all in one day?

eee
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #2091
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,794
I'll personally vouch for the Copper Fox distillery; Wasmunds is some tasty stuff!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #2092
Cambion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
VStrom HID Install Report

Moved from the NoVA Weekend Rides thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
How'd the HID install go and a report. I'm interested in where you sourced your kit.
The HID install on my DL650 was actually much easier than I feared it would be. I had never taken apart the front end before and this install required completely removing the front fairings, instruments, headlight assembly, etc from the bike. My friend Nobie381 (from Stromtroopers) and I actually worked together to install these on both his and my bikes, both 2011 DL650 ABS models.

The kits we used are VVME slim ballast kits. We got them here: http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/b...conversion-kit

Some folks have mounted their ballasts to the flat part of the frame where the front end sub frame mounts to the bike's frame. This doesn't work well on ABS models in particular as you have clearance issues and can't turn to full lock. Instead we followed the lead of "johnofchar" from VSRI and mounted the ballasts up inside the front fairing in the dead space directly under the windscreen mount / behind the instruments. This required removing the sub frame from the fairing and drilling three small holes in it. Then used three 2" screws and some aluminum spacers along with lock nuts to secure them. (Johnofchar posted very good pics from his install on the VSRI forum)

A couple of notes about the install:

- We had to make small cuts in the boots that cover the headlight bulbs in order to slip them over the much larger HID bulbs. We made the slits at the bottom to minimize the chance of water getting in there. I don't think it will be an issue.

- We used 14 gauge wire and a couple of 14 - 16 gauge butt connectors to splice the wiring and extend the power back to the battery, actually back to a fuse block (Remember this is a kit meant for a car so the leads are short). Ran the wiring through tubing for additional heat shielding which was a bit of a pain. If I had to do it over again I'd order pre-heat shielded wiring online and pay a bit more for it to not have to suffer the pain in my fingers!

Results: WOW these things are bright! Nobie and I went for a night ride last night (Sunday) to give them a proper test. First of all, they're extremely bright. I thought the stock dual headlights of the VStrom were fairly bright but these are more than twice as bright. They don't light up the inside of the car in front of me but I still might need to adjust them down slightly. They also made a significant difference in the overall power draw of the bike. With heated jacket and gloves turned on, probably half way or a little more (it was relatively warm last night until we got out around Rte 50 & Rte 15 where it got pretty chilly for some reason) I never dropped below 12.7v even when stopped at a light with the brake and blinker on. To be fair I run LED tail/brake lights too so that's a few extra watts saved but still, the HIDs use considerably less power than the stock headlights.

So, in summary, they're 2-3x as bright as stock, use less power and include a relay which solves the problem with burning out the starter switch contacts.
Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #2093
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 460
FYI...VA. State Police are looking for witnesses that may have seen a a rather rare Austin Healy ragtop being driven in the area of RT211 near Sperryville around 13:00 (1 PM) Sunday...the vehicle in question is pictured in the linked article, as is the POC for the VSP:

http://www.rappnews.com/2012/11/12/m...ts-car/107739/

This driver lost control and drove into a group of MC riders.

Driving behavior which occurred before the accident may provide key additional information for consideration for trial (criminal and/or civil).

I have no involvement with any party involved...but a co-worker came upon the accident a few minutes after it occurred... very bad . God bless the rider killed and those injured.

I'm posting this here as many of us NOVA riders use Rt211.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #2094
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
FYI...VA. State Police are looking for witnesses that may have seen a a rather rare Austin Healy ragtop being driven in the area of RT211 near Sperryville around 13:00 (1 PM) Sunday...the vehicle in question is pictured in the linked article, as is the POC for the VSP:

http://www.rappnews.com/2012/11/12/m...ts-car/107739/

This driver lost control and drove into a group of MC riders.

Driving behavior which occurred before the accident may provide key additional information for consideration for trial (criminal and/or civil).

I have no involvement with any party involved...but a co-worker came upon the accident a few minutes after it occurred... very bad . God bless the rider killed and those injured.

I'm posting this here as many of us NOVA riders use Rt211.
Damn! A sad reminder, there will be times when you can't always find an "escape route" while riding, and when your time is up, it's up. RIP rider...

I recognize the curve. That's the easy part of the road! I hope they throw the book at the cage driver.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #2095
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Moved from the NoVA Weekend Rides thread...

The HID install on my DL650 was actually much easier than I feared it would be. I had never taken apart the front end before and this install required completely removing the front fairings, instruments, headlight assembly, etc from the bike. My friend Nobie381 (from Stromtroopers) and I actually worked together to install these on both his and my bikes, both 2011 DL650 ABS models.

The kits we used are VVME slim ballast kits. We got them here: http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/b...conversion-kit

Some folks have mounted their ballasts to the flat part of the frame where the front end sub frame mounts to the bike's frame. This doesn't work well on ABS models in particular as you have clearance issues and can't turn to full lock. Instead we followed the lead of "johnofchar" from VSRI and mounted the ballasts up inside the front fairing in the dead space directly under the windscreen mount / behind the instruments. This required removing the sub frame from the fairing and drilling three small holes in it. Then used three 2" screws and some aluminum spacers along with lock nuts to secure them. (Johnofchar posted very good pics from his install on the VSRI forum)

A couple of notes about the install:

- We had to make small cuts in the boots that cover the headlight bulbs in order to slip them over the much larger HID bulbs. We made the slits at the bottom to minimize the chance of water getting in there. I don't think it will be an issue.

- We used 14 gauge wire and a couple of 14 - 16 gauge butt connectors to splice the wiring and extend the power back to the battery, actually back to a fuse block (Remember this is a kit meant for a car so the leads are short). Ran the wiring through tubing for additional heat shielding which was a bit of a pain. If I had to do it over again I'd order pre-heat shielded wiring online and pay a bit more for it to not have to suffer the pain in my fingers!

Results: WOW these things are bright! Nobie and I went for a night ride last night (Sunday) to give them a proper test. First of all, they're extremely bright. I thought the stock dual headlights of the VStrom were fairly bright but these are more than twice as bright. They don't light up the inside of the car in front of me but I still might need to adjust them down slightly. They also made a significant difference in the overall power draw of the bike. With heated jacket and gloves turned on, probably half way or a little more (it was relatively warm last night until we got out around Rte 50 & Rte 15 where it got pretty chilly for some reason) I never dropped below 12.7v even when stopped at a light with the brake and blinker on. To be fair I run LED tail/brake lights too so that's a few extra watts saved but still, the HIDs use considerably less power than the stock headlights.

So, in summary, they're 2-3x as bright as stock, use less power and include a relay which solves the problem with burning out the starter switch contacts.
Thanks Camb - good install report. Have you updated you're rectifier/regulator to the MOSFET controlled model. This is a must do to the strom charging system - rectifies poor output issues and virtually eliminates stator failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #2096
Cambion
Adventurer

Quote:
Have you updated you're rectifier/regulator to the MOSFET controlled model. This is a must do to the strom charging system - rectifies poor output issues and virtually eliminates stator failure.
No, I hadn't seen anything about that. Now that you've mentioned it I went and googled it and read through the various posts about it. That might be one of my next projects. We'll see though, I'd sort of like a better rear suspension. The better shocks like the Elka and others are just so damn expensive though.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #2097
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
No, I hadn't seen anything about that. Now that you've mentioned it I went and googled it and read through the various posts about it. That might be one of my next projects. We'll see though, I'd sort of like a better rear suspension. The better shocks like the Elka and others are just so damn expensive though.
Suspension mods are one of the biggest best bang for the buck mods for the Strom. If you can save your sheckles for the rear shock, you'll find well worth it. No need for expensive emulators for the front forks either - continuous rate springs (matched to your weight), 15wt oil, fork brace, and new rear shock (Elka 2-way in my case) turns the the Strom into one formidable handler.

Then you'll discover, how mushy to modulate your brakes actually are and find yourself upgrading the brake lines and installing the 4 piston calipers. It never ends this farkling thing.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #2098
Cambion
Adventurer

Quote:
Suspension mods are one of the biggest best bang for the buck mods for the Strom. If you can save your sheckles for the rear shock, you'll find well worth it. No need for expensive emulators for the front forks either - continuous rate springs (matched to your weight), 15wt oil, fork brace, and new rear shock (Elka 2-way in my case) turns the the Strom into one formidable handler.

Then you'll discover, how mushy to modulate your brakes actually are and find yourself upgrading the brake lines and installing the 4 piston calipers. It never ends this farkling thing.
Yea, I hear ya. I actually did the front forks earlier this year (Sonic Springs .95 & 15wt oil), I already had a fork brace on it. Made a huge difference and virtually eliminated the ungodly dive on braking that the bike has in stock form. I will very likely upgrade the rear shock before my planned "2nd annual early spring Deal's Gap trip".

All this is why I was very seriously considering just going to a Super Tenere or maybe a new Tiger but honestly, I love my Strom. None of those other bikes are perfect (for me) either and they cost a whole lot more.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #2099
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
be nice to the critters

I found this guy knocked out on the shoulder of 17 north of warrenton. I gave him a lift to the blue ridge wildlife center (boyce, va) and the ride in my car proved to be therapeutic. Call these guys if you have a wildlife emergency...

http://www.blueridgewildlife.org/

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #2100
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Call these guys if you have a wildlife emergency...

At first, thought you meant call the OWLS!

Got it; call the center.

Nice save, dentvet!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote