ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #2671
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,794
What's the material thickness you're looking for? I could help out too. Got all tools necessary at the shop where I work in Lorton. Could help out after work one day. Or I'm down for swinging by the Rusty Rex and drinking beer while watching others work; I love work, I can watch it all day!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #2672
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
What's the material thickness you're looking for? I could help out too. Got all tools necessary at the shop where I work in Lorton. Could help out after work one day. Or I'm down for swinging by the Rusty Rex and drinking beer while watching others work; I love work, I can watch it all day!
can't be too thick. I'll have to check the other web site when I get home tonight and find out.

Maybe Monday? You guys will think I am riding a Harley sport bike from all the oil it leaks.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #2673
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,923
Then it should fit right in
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #2674
bulboushead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
In other news, my front tire is pretty worn (and about 7 years old) and due for a replacement. I'm going to order me some tire irons since I sold my other ones with the KLR, who wants to watch me struggle and offer moral support as I battle my rim? Also, for anyone who's changed tires on a sportbike, what else besides tire irons and some rim protectors will I need to finagle it on?

Also, if someone has a balancing stand/setup available I will donate beer to your cause :)
bulboushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #2675
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,923
I've done it on a number of bikes and could give you a hand...or drink beer and laugh at you. I have one rim protector and have fabricated others in a pinch but I don't use them myself on account of having a GS I actually ride and don't baby (but dammit she IS my baby). Ever since Beard sold his truck we used as a bead breaker, I've had to get "inventive" to break the beads.

What I'm getting at is I am willing to help but make no promises regarding scratches/spilled beer.

As far as a balancing stand goes, mtnflow taught me to suspend two ratchet straps and place the axle through the wheel and hang it evenly. Next slowly spin the wheel and let it work it's way to a low/heavy spot. Tape a weight to the 180* spot and slowly spin again until no noticeable weighting or movement occurs. Clean surface and attach weights. Paint to match wheel color if OCD.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #2676
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulboushead View Post
In other news, my front tire is pretty worn (and about 7 years old) and due for a replacement. I'm going to order me some tire irons since I sold my other ones with the KLR, who wants to watch me struggle and offer moral support as I battle my rim? Also, for anyone who's changed tires on a sportbike, what else besides tire irons and some rim protectors will I need to finagle it on?

Also, if someone has a balancing stand/setup available I will donate beer to your cause :)

I have necessary tools, but they are in Manassas.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #2677
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

I changed the tires on my Versys in the gravel parking lot of a motel up in the Yukon (twice, once on the way up and a second time on the way back down) with just your standard tire irons, and a spare truck tire to hold them up off the ground. Nothing really different to do than any other tire, other than taking care of not scratching up the rim if you care about that sort of thing. Only thing that you may encounter is that the rubber may or may not be as flexible as other tires.

That being said, I'm happy to lend a hand or stand by/watch/drink beer! All depends on when you feel like doing it though.

I would highly recommend keeping the new tires in a nice warm place right up until you're ready to slip them onto the rim; they'll be more pliable this way.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #2678
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
calling all whisky fans, got this in an email today

Taste Virginia Highland Malt in Northern VA!
ABC Stores Host Free Event
Hello Northern VA Friends

We hope you'll stop by one of these ABC stores this weekend for a free tasting of Virginia Highland Malt Whisky. It will be hosted by our own Dan FitzHenry.

Friday March 15 - Burke Center Shopping Center, 6-8pm
Saturday March 16 - McLean Shopping Center 12-2pm,
Saturday March 16 - Ballston, N. Quincy St., 6-8pm
Saturday March 23 - Alexandria, Belle View Shopping Center, 12-2pm
Saturday March 30 - Centreville, Union Mill Shopping Center, 12-2pm
Friday April 12 - Reston, North Point Village Shopping Center, 6-8pm
Saturday April 13 - Leesburg, Fort Evans Plaza, 3-5pm

You can really help by sharing this event on Facebook and Twitter...We appreciate the support.
Pat Jones
Virginia Distillery Company
Hey Eric,

I meant to say thanks for the heads up! I'll have to go and check them out on Saturday.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #2679
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Hey Eric,

I meant to say thanks for the heads up! I'll have to go and check them out on Saturday.
No prob Dennis, let me know how it tastes, not sure I can make it to the Arl tasting.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #2680
bulboushead
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll order the tire this weekend along with some tire irons (I'll be keeping this set). My rims are black, I'm not a huge stickler for nice things, but shucks if they're shiny I'll try to keep them that way. I also have no problem using milk cartons or whatever else works as a rim protector.

I'll keep everyone posted so you all can drink beer and laugh at me :)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #2681
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll order the tire this weekend along with some tire irons (I'll be keeping this set). My rims are black, I'm not a huge stickler for nice things, but shucks if they're shiny I'll try to keep them that way. I also have no problem using milk cartons or whatever else works as a rim protector.

I'll keep everyone posted so you all can drink beer and laugh at me :)
If you want to do it at my house, you can do it all here in one stop. In Stafford.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #2682
bulboushead
Adventurer

Just ordered some chain lube, a grunge brush, tire irons, a big fat c-clamp, a valve tool, and a Continental Road ATTACK! front tire. Now I wait...
Old 03-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #2683
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just ordered some chain lube, a grunge brush, tire irons, a big fat c-clamp, a valve tool, and a Continental Road ATTACK! front tire. Now I wait...

What kind of beer did you get>??
Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #2684
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
Try this: http://watr.webs.com/

They changed their name a while ago. The Spring Trail Ride is on 4/28/13.

We are Washington Area Trail Riders now. The Spring Trail ride is on and will be better than ever! Tell all your riding buddies to come out and enjoy the day for a good cause!
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #2685
bulboushead
Adventurer

Alright, I'm sure I'll get many opinions on this, but I have to ask. I've never had alcohol in my life, but in May I'm having a beer in honor of my friend from the army getting his commission as an officer. But that's beside the point...

If I'm ever bringing beer to a party, garage, get together, etc. as a token of good will, what is a safe bet to bring? I don't want to show up with 6 bottles of piss. What would you consider the most liked (on average) beer?