ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #3031
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
I'll be a little more specific with my recommendaion:

Kim Auto Upholstery

13735 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Woodbridge, VA 22191
(703) 491-6018

Meticulous craftsman; have had both auto and cycle work performed by this shop; also, price is RIGHT!

Just had a KLR saddle completely covered and rehabilitated; high-quality materials, images show some dust from Michaux State Forest still on the cover:

Mr. Kim quotes a flat rate for motorcycle saddles; most affordable, in my KLR economics!

XDragRacer screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 07:32 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #3032
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,732
Meet-up at the Clifton General Store?

Robin and I are back in town for a couple of days to pick up our small boats we left here last winter. SweetBird's got a tennis date Tuesday evening with her old tennis buddies, which leaves me free . . . .

I'd be up for a meet-up in Clifton about 7:30 pm; she'll be playing tennis until about 9.

I recall they used to have Starr Hill beer . . .

Anyone interested?????

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #3033
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
You can also check out Bedo Leather, located right in Falls Church on Broad St.

Cheers.
Bedo's great. He's done a fine job repairing my oldest riding jacket over the years. Did you know they also repair stuffed animals?--For the parents out there with kids who have much-beloved companions...
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #3034
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
No financial interest; just . . . here's a daylight picture of Mr. Kim's KLR saddle restoration:

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #3035
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
I'd be up for a meet-up in Clifton about 7:30 pm; I recall they used to have Starr Hill beer . . . Anyone interested?????
Welcome back to the east coast Dan, I'd like to see ya but dont think I can make it, but keep us psted on the plans. And...did you purposely move to Washington instead of back to Oregon so you'd not have to change your ADV name
Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #3036
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,732
Would love to see your TR again, oops I mean would love to see you again! Hope you can slip down to Clifton.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #3037
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
You can also check out Bedo Leather, located right in Falls Church on Broad St.

Cheers.

Bedo Leather has had a LONG history of great service.

I had a suitcase in need of repair. They told me it was still under warranty and they had the manufacturer replace it even though they no longer carried the line of suitcases.

I would not hesitate to take any sort of leather goods in to them for repairs, or for that matter, anything with a zipper.

I just don't know if they do saddles.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #3038
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Robin and I are back in town for a couple of days to pick up our small boats we left here last winter. SweetBird's got a tennis date Tuesday evening with her old tennis buddies, which leaves me free . . . .

I'd be up for a meet-up in Clifton about 7:30 pm; she'll be playing tennis until about 9.

Anyone interested?????
Welcome back - albeit briefly. Sorry, but I'll be tied up with work all week. But please have a beer for me. I think I remember what beer tastes like.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #3039
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
I saw a Aprilia 125 2 stroke screaming down the highway today.

It was awesome.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #3040
Porcupine224
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Other choices?

Dan,

Welcome back to the Hood...

You Navy guys and your boats, what, they don't have any out there ?

I too would love to join you for a cold one and the opportunity to swap lies, but I have a two event evening booked for tonight.
Any other opportunities while you are on the east coast?

Enjoy the dry weather and I hope to see you .

Ed

Quote:

Anyone interested?????
Porcupine224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #3041
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 833
Hey peeps -

n00b question - what's the best way to carry glass bottled liquids (wine, bourbon, beer) in side-cases over long distances without breaking anything? Is it best to pour them into plastic containers, or do you think they'll stay intact if packed tight with other goods? I plan on staying upright (that's always the plan ). Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #3042
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I think the glass bottles are tougher than people give them credit for. When I went to LF, I purposely bought canned beer just for that reason. But I also took a bottle of wine. The wine was stored tight in my side bag with plenty padding (cloth rags, etc...). It didn't get damaged. Biggest thing to avoid is having them hit each other.

But then I always ask myself, why don't beer trucks have higher losses in their transport. Trucks ride rough.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #3043
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
1.) If perishable, do not keep it in an exhaust-side sidecase Drrrrrrrrrr
2.) If space is not an issue for you and you must keep it inside the sidecase, I would suggest bubble wrap (the big bubbles) for safest transport.
3.) If on a long distance trip, You can usually get away with sandwiching it between some less often piece of soft gear (poncho, poncho liner, extra rain fly, heated jacket etc) Just make sure it isn't something that goes in and comes out of the case often or you risk dropping it. Goodbye single malt
4.) Tank bag or tailbag. If it is relatively small like a flask size or 22oz beer, I can get away wiht stashing it in my tankbag where the stress and force of jumps and whoops aren't as severe as the rear.
5.) I usually carry my bourbon in a flask though for long trips a spare fuel bottle dedicated to bourbon and strapped on the back of the boxes works a charm.

YMMV

On a trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY, I once brought back 9 bottles of wine and all our camping gear for 4 days solely in the Jesse Case and Tank Bag. Oh and one gal.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada

HBN screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 02:07 PM
HBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #3044
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
Anyone locally have an 1150GS (non ADV) with a stock single seat or custom they want to sell
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #3045
dmun
dmun

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Hey peeps -

n00b question - what's the best way to carry glass bottled liquids (wine, bourbon, beer) in side-cases over long distances without breaking anything? Is it best to pour them into plastic containers, or do you think they'll stay intact if packed tight with other goods? I plan on staying upright (that's always the plan ). Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

dont have any experience with this, but regardless of what you do, i think i'd put it in a ziplock in case worse case scenario happens.
dmun is offline   Reply With Quote