ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #3466
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 700
Nothing blew up on the way home! In my book this is 50% success. The other 50% comes after a few days of living with the Beast and seeing if his idle has smoothed out fer good.

I don't expect this will have helped the mileage though. Intuitively, raising the idle speed will burn more gas, yes?

Looking forward to doing the valves. Also I mean to test the seals around the intakes with WD-40. I hope to do this at home without causing a massive failure of some kind.

Thanks again M&M for the hospitality. What were those green sausages anyway? They were good.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #3467
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
What were those green sausages anyway? They were good.
Kale Sausages from Society Fair in Old Town.
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #3468
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,857
I need to check the valves on My wee strom.

Before I open it up, do any of you guys have a shim kit to lend for that bike?

I will probably order a kit to have on hand but I thought I would check here first.

Thanks!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #3469
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
I do not but I just exchanged mine with the dealership for the right size after calculating which ones I could use to shim other valves and which ones I'd need to compensate for remaining adjustments. You may be able to get by without having to get a shim kit expressly if you have a good shop or local place that can give you the few you may need. Then again, we're in the city now and folks ain't as nice as they are in the sticks
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #3470
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
I do not but I just exchanged mine with the dealership for the right size after calculating which ones I could use to shim other valves and which ones I'd need to compensate for remaining adjustments. You may be able to get by without having to get a shim kit expressly if you have a good shop or local place that can give you the few you may need. Then again, we're in the city now and folks ain't as nice as they are in the sticks

The only Suzuki dealer around here is Coleman's. They do not stock the shims and they do not exchange them. They make it so much easier to justify mail-ordering stuff rather than supporting a local business. Maybe I should just buy a new bike from them when I need service like most of their clients seem to do.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #3471
HBN OP
is car free

Ever the spokesman
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #3472
HBN OP
is car free

I called Crossroad Cycle and explained your issue. Their "bossman" is out but he said to call back in 30-45 minutes. They've been doing a number of valve jobs recently and his "shim stock is a little on the low side but we may have bought more". Crossroad is the closest thing to a priavte ol'fashioned moto shop in the area.

Good folks. It sounds like if you have to exchange one or two (not a ton) they'd probably be willing to scratch your back.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/crossroads-cycle-falls-church
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3473
Riteris
Dessert Runner

I decided to order the full replacement kit. I did not want to spend the $100.. now but it will hopefully pay off in the long run in time savings. I don't think I will be getting a new bike anytime soon anyway.

So, in another week or so, if anyone out there needs 7.48 shims, you can borrow my kit.

The real downside my poor planning is that now that I have the time and don't want to open up the engine, I need to paint the powder room. UGH.

(Unless I get distracted by stuff on the internets, again. C'mon people, help me out!)

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #3474
HBN OP
is car free

Give me a bit and I may toss up another ride report
Quote:
Another cabin comes into view and I wave as I go past. A middle aged man in the yard returns the wave with a curious smile I can only read as "I know something you don't". Five minutes later I am facing a deep swamp and three trails, the least travelled of which my GPS is directing me down. Thanks GARMIN! I have a talk with Meine Frau and make the decision to turn around. The road could not get better as the most heavily travelled option doesn't even appear on my GPS unit. I tell myself I'll stop at that cabin so I do and talk to the old men outside in their 50's or 60's. I carefully remove my broken sunglasses, take off the stinky helmet and in my thickest southern accent say "Damn! I'm lost!" to which they both give a hearty suspicious chuckle. The next 5 minutes represents how solo touring falls to the lowest lows of personal thought and solitude to the explosive dialogue and valuable interaction sharing of ideas and common courtesies. Sitting on Meine Frau, the three of us confirm that 1.) I was lost, 2.)Trespassing on Private Land and 3.) Was harmless. Huzzah. I asked about the area and type of traffic he sees go by and was surprised when he told me they see "a lot of ATV's and many BMW's come through here." This led us to chatting about google maps and how inaccurate road are all over there with wrong ownership, names and routes for all the city slickers to see. I didn't happen to prepare for this ride so I just found it all on accident. I apologize for unknowingly trespassing and ruining their peace and quiet, a notion their facial expressions scoffed at, I bid farwell and set off to conquer the deep ponds for a second time.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #3475
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Too late.

(I started reading your "Beards to Canada" report.)

Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #3476
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I decided to order the full replacement kit. I did not want to spend the $100.. now but it will hopefully pay off in the long run in time savings. I don't think I will be getting a new bike anytime soon anyway.

So, in another week or so, if anyone out there needs 7.48 shims, you can borrow my kit.

The real downside my poor planning is that now that I have the time and don't want to open up the engine, I need to paint the powder room. UGH.

(Unless I get distracted by stuff on the internets, again. C'mon people, help me out!)
I may buy some off of you. :) i have an 03 SV650 with 23k that i need to check the valves on.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #3477
HBN OP
is car free

Blackmarket Shim Exchange.
Dirty

I like
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #3478
HBN OP
is car free

Put up my most recent trip report to Montreal from last weekend:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...585105&page=30
Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #3479
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
I may buy some off of you. :) i have an 03 SV650 with 23k that i need to check the valves on.
Same here.
I'd like to check the Valves on my Wee. I haven't got a clue as to the proper procedure though. I also want to synch the carbs.
Anyone have a good(preferred) link for these procedures? I've read up on it some but still need some guidance. I get a slight surging at idle and at low speeds thru town.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #3480
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Same here.
I'd like to check the Valves on my Wee. I haven't got a clue as to the proper procedure though. I also want to synch the carbs.
Anyone have a good(preferred) link for these procedures? I've read up on it some but still need some guidance. I get a slight surging at idle and at low speeds thru town.
Maybe a vstrom tech session is in order. Carb sync and valves all around. There's at least four of us...
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote