ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #3511
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Crossroads are good folk. They work on everything and have a passion for old Triumphs too. Their rates are comparable and thier location is pretty good. Most of the work on a newer 800 Tiger will be basics they can tackle (or any shop) such as chain management, oil and filter changes, lubing and torquing bolts. Not sure what the valve interval is on something like that.
Good to know. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Two individuals I need to look for for when I want my Triumph services. I've always been a little frustrated with the service costs on Triumphs. They may be a resonable alternative.
Khanh's great - may as well give him a call: http://www.eubmw.com/

It sounds like the Crossroads place does a lot of work on Triumphs so that is another option: http://crossroadscycle.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
+1 on Khan, I've always gone to him or his now deceased Dad for all my non-DYI BMW stuff and when I am too lazy to change tires myself. He is always great.

As for the the Triumph dealer in Manassas Park, they also own Advantage Certified Auto next door and if they run the mo shop like they do the auto dealer/shop then they should make most customers very happy. I bought my 330i from them in 2008 and gone back for service and a friend has gone to them after back experience with dealer and J&F Motors and was very happy with Advantage. Ken Davis the owner/Pres is a mo rider and really into bikes.
Khanh's great and I'm very fortunate he's nearby. But thanks for the tip about the Manassas shop. It's reassuring to know they're well-respected and are run by trustworthy enthusiasts. I will definitely give them more consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
If you are willing to travel for either a new Triumph or service, I understand Hermy's and Martin Motorsports (both in PA) are highly reputable dealers.

I have spoken in the past with the people at Manayunk Triumph in Philadelphia and they seem like they care. I think they also might have a sale on their inventory of Tigers.
My folks live in Philly and I'll be visiting them soon, so I'll swing by Manayunk and check out this sale. I'd prefer not to go that far for service, but definitely for a good deal on a Tiger. Thank you for the tip!
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #3512
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
There's a Triumph MC dealer in Manassas Park?????
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #3513
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 871
They opened a couple of months ago: http://www.triumphmanassas.com/
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #3514
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
love this video of some tigers in the concrete jungle!

In the rain forest

And in the sand awesome
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #3515
Chessie-Owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Todaynwas a great day to ride unless like me you blew up your engine on your gs... Depression setting in.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #3516
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie-Owner View Post
Todaynwas a great day to ride unless like me you blew up your engine on your gs... Depression setting in.
Damn, sorry to hear this.

If you don't mind talking about it, how did that happen? IF you do, please disregard this post.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #3517
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Triumph dealer

I used to goto Petes in Baltimore, but since I moved to Ashburn I have been searching for a dealer close by. I did stop by the dealer in Frederick but was only looking around then. There is a new'ish dealer in Annapolis near the mall. I know it is a bit of a ride for some. Not sure about their service dept.

Dave
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #3518
dmun
dmun

Oddometer: 28
George is definetly my guy ( my k1200 is there right now) but he told me he only works on BMW and BMW clones. might keep that in mind. he will mount tires any just about anything, and at a reasonable price. i had mixed results with Crossroads on my Radian a few years back. thought they charged a lot to re line the gas tank and get the bike running. ran into the guy i sold it to some time later and he showed me all the lining was flaking out of the tank. i've admired Triumphs for a while and i'm also curious to see how the Manassas shop is.
dmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #3519
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
V-Strom Valve Adjustment Day

I am thinking Saturday, August 31 as V-Strom Valve Adjustment Day.

It is a three day weekend for many of us. A Crappy weekend to travel, and you have two more days to take care of your "honey-do" list as well as have family time.

It also gives you plenty of time to get your spark plugs, air filters and 4 mm tubing.

If , for some reason you have an alternative need, let me know and we could maybe do it on that Sunday. (If we have overwhelming demand, maybe we could do both days.)

This would by in my garage in The Big City... The Nation's Capital. (A place for those unafraid of the chance of getting shot, mugged or getting slipped a mickey )

PM for the address or a need for an alternative date.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #3520
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Khanh will work on any make I believe. I was going to have him do the break-in service on my TU250x until Dr. Beard and HBN stepped in and got me going on my own.

Based on his reputation and location, I will definitely take my bike there for anything I don't do myself.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #3521
Chessie-Owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I was about 3/4 of a mile from my house when it just died. I was listening to music but I guess I heard metal griding. Pulled the clutch in and tried to restart it no such luck so I pulled over in behind Verizon off wax pool road in ashburn and walked home to grab my truck and pick it up. Anyways brought it to George in manassas and he thought my battery just totally shit the bed. So I left it there thinking ill have her back by Friday with a new oddessy battery. Got a call 3 mins after leaving telling me that he pulled a spark plug and could see I blew my motor. I have no idea what I am going to do. He recommended a motor swap but he will have to find one I figure rebuild, swap, or part and I'm still out a lot of money. Sucks and my favorite riding season is about to start... Gonna call George today and see what advice he has for me. May just buy a scooter.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #3522
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
Sorry to hear that. I'd be real upset in your scenario. "Blew the motor" could mean a number of things though. Of course it is in good hands with George but much of the bike is modular so you can replace broken bits without possibly needing a full drivetrain, gear box and engine. Lots out there in ibmwr.org and ebay / flea market

Scooters rock PM me if you have any questions.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #3523
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 910
Yeah "blown motor" is extremely vague. On these bikes I'd think that at best you'd need to hone the cylinders & put in new rings. Worst case you'd need to heads and pistons. Unless you smoked the crank & bearings as well... Still I can't imagine trying to just completely replace the engine.
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #3524
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
George is a great mech. I imagine it'd be crank and bearings but I don't think you'd see that or glean much by pulling just the spark plug (maybe if you pulled the cylinder head and looked down past the cam chain etc).
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #3525
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
Yeah "blown motor" is extremely vague. On these bikes I'd think that at best you'd need to hone the cylinders & put in new rings. Worst case you'd need to heads and pistons. Unless you smoked the crank & bearings as well... Still I can't imagine trying to just completely replace the engine.
Did Mike give you a SMIB sticker? Trust but verify
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote