ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #3646
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
sorry just saw this today.

I agree Beach Dr. is a hoot, but it can get really congested sometimes (stop-and-go the entire way), that's why I suggested Connecticut Ave.

Rock Creek Park is awesome! I even take my grandparents there for walks, we love it!
I think I really benefitted from it being a holiday weekend. Traffic was light, but with much more at all it would have been a drag. I'll probably stay off it absent special circumstances.

Since it's closed for cyclists on actual holidays, that won't happen very often.

Thanks for all of the tips!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #3647
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Video camera help

A website has the Go Pro 3 on sale.The Adventure Hero 3 Black edition is $329. Anyone have experience with this?? I want to get a camera to mount to my helmet, but there are a couple of versions of this Go Pro. I want to take advantage of the lower price, so if someones can chime in with suggestions, it would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #3648
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 461
Fort Valley mid week???

Humm...mid week weather forecast the Luray/Fort Valley area is looking great. Anyone off for some riding? Day run or an overnight.

Weatherbug: Luray, VA 22835

MON
50% Chance of Storms
TUE
Mostly Sunny
WED
Sunny
THU
Mostly Sunny
FRI
Sunny
SAT
Mostly Sunny

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #3649
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,966
some of us are not so lucky as to be retired yet Was in Ft Valley Sat and today, camped at Elizabeth Furnace, was great weather.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #3650
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
A website has the Go Pro 3 on sale. [...] I want to take advantage of the lower price, so if someones can chime in with suggestions, it would be appreciated.
No experience with GoPro, I got my Contour Roam on eBay for around $150. Works pretty well for me. Only negative for me is the microphone, just turns into a rumble when I pick up speed.
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #3651
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Hi All,

Due to a series of unfortunate events, or rather comedy of errors, I am back in the DC area to finish my last year of school. I'm sure in the minds of many of you, I never left. Ha. Jokes.

Anyway, I thought I would post some pics from this summer's riding in South Eastern Idaho. I made many day trips and didn't touch even 1% of the dirt roads in the area.

I am looking forward to riding with you folks again, especially in WV. I can't wait.

Thanks.

Chase

His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #3652
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,966
Nice Chase, so what happened to drinking the orange cool aid?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #3653
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
A website has the Go Pro 3 on sale.The Adventure Hero 3 Black edition is $329. Anyone have experience with this?? I want to get a camera to mount to my helmet, but there are a couple of versions of this Go Pro. I want to take advantage of the lower price, so if someones can chime in with suggestions, it would be appreciated.
I picked up a GoPro earlier this year, a Hero 3 Silver. Have been very pleased with the video/picture quality. I still have a lot to learn on the video editing side of things, but I guess that comes with practice. Don't know how much this helps, but I don't regret the purchase.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #3654
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Nice Chase, so what happened to drinking the orange cool aid?
Hi Eric...I'm still drinking it; an Adventure 990 (preferably an R model) is on my wish list. The Husk is unstoppable in the dirt but I'd prefer more power and a fairing/windshield for the jaunts on pavement.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #3655
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
I picked up a GoPro earlier this year, a Hero 3 Silver. Have been very pleased with the video/picture quality. I still have a lot to learn on the video editing side of things, but I guess that comes with practice. Don't know how much this helps, but I don't regret the purchase.
I bought the black edition on sale a couple months back but haven't had the time to play with it. Soon, soon.

$329 sounds like a great deal since they retail for $399.

I also ordered a Wasabi charger and two extra batteries...

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B.../dp/B00AAIPT76

I'm running "Windows XP" on my primary computer. Go Pro recommended using Cineform studio for editing with "XP". I have it on the computer but haven't tried it yet. Doing updates for the camera didn't seem to work too good with XP but works well with my "Windows 7 starter" program on my netbook.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #3656
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Hi Eric...I'm still drinking it; an Adventure 990 (preferably an R model) is on my wish list. The Husk is unstoppable in the dirt but I'd prefer more power and a fairing/windshield for the jaunts on pavement.
Nice pics! Did you run into any inmates out that way? I know of one(rides an XR) who has some of the same pics you do.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #3657
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Hi All,

Due to a series of unfortunate events, or rather comedy of errors, I am back in the DC area to finish my last year of school. I'm sure in the minds of many of you, I never left. Ha. Jokes.

Anyway, I thought I would post some pics from this summer's riding in South Eastern Idaho. I made many day trips and didn't touch even 1% of the dirt roads in the area.
Stunning photos! It must be tough leaving such a beautiful place.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #3658
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,054
Well, guess I should get the Black edition? The Silver is about $80 cheaper, but it comes with less stuff. May as well get the top of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I bought the black edition on sale a couple months back but haven't had the time to play with it. Soon, soon.

$329 sounds like a great deal since they retail for $399.

I also ordered a Wasabi charger and two extra batteries...

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B.../dp/B00AAIPT76

I'm running "Windows XP" on my primary computer. Go Pro recommended using Cineform studio for editing with "XP". I have it on the computer but haven't tried it yet. Doing updates for the camera didn't seem to work too good with XP but works well with my "Windows 7 starter" program on my netbook.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #3659
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, guess I should get the Black edition? The Silver is about $80 cheaper, but it comes with less stuff. May as well get the top of the line
I believe the Silver is $299, unless its on sale too. $329 for the black edition can't be beat...yet! Yes the black has more features...

http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

You can download a free GoPro app to an I-phone or I-pod(which is what I have) that makes the I-pod/phone act as a remote using the WiFi.
With the app I can operate the I-pod like a remote and even preview what I'm going to record(with a 3 second delay) but you can't watch while its recording. Its great for adjusting the camera where you want it to record...eg: up the road/etc. and not at the sky/ground.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #3660
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 461
There are at least 2 of us free...so, just FYI: On Wednesday, we meet at Cracker Barrel just North of RT66 at RT234 at 0900.

Run out Rt66 West to Front Royal and cut down via Rt55 to Fort Valley Road. Plan on running some forest gravel roads and the like and grab lunch perhaps in Edinburg or Woodstock. Run back over the ridge and finish the day at either Little Fort Campground or Camp Roosevelt...whichever one were nearest to. Figure on dinner at the campsite...bring your own or pack something from the lunch stop. On Thursday, run around and head back in the afternoon, perhaps taking RT211 back to vary the route. Grab a late lunch on the road back to break up the road run. Home by dusk.

Might repeat this on a weekend later in Sept/Oct....for the working class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
Humm...mid week weather forecast the Luray/Fort Valley area is looking great. Anyone off for some riding? Day run or an overnight.

Weatherbug: Luray, VA 22835

WED
Sunny
THU
Mostly Sunny

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote