ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #3946
drb20176
ADVCOW

Oddometer: 9
Not quite 'all street'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Yeah, all street. I wouldn't subject anyone else to my slow gravel pace on the TU250x.
Hey guys, won't be able to join, but I would like to mention that River Rd. from Edwards Ferry to Whites Ferry is gravel. I ride this route home from work a couple times a week, Alexandria to L'burg. It's not technical, and you certainly bounce up to Whites Ferry Rd on Willard or Edwards Ferry if you're not into it. Happy Trails!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #3947
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb20176 View Post
Hey guys, won't be able to join, but I would like to mention that River Rd. from Edwards Ferry to Whites Ferry is gravel. I ride this route home from work a couple times a week, Alexandria to L'burg. It's not technical, and you certainly bounce up to Whites Ferry Rd on Willard or Edwards Ferry if you're not into it. Happy Trails!
Thanks for the heads up! I think we've added a couple of gravel sections anyway, but good to know.
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3948
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
I would like to mention that River Rd. from Edwards Ferry to Whites Ferry is gravel. ... It's not technical, and you certainly bounce up to Whites Ferry Rd on Willard or Edwards Ferry if you're not into it. Happy Trails!
This.

Done it on a Ducati Monster so you should be fine, it's actually pretty decent in most parts, just be careful for other vehicles in the blind turns.

If you want to head a bit further north, you could loop Sugarloaf Mountain: Sugarloaf Mtn. Road -> Thurston Rd. -> Peters Rd. (rough at points) -> Park Mills Rd. -> Mt. Ephraim Rd.
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #3949
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
This.

Done it on a Ducati Monster so you should be fine, it's actually pretty decent in most parts, just be careful for other vehicles in the blind turns.

If you want to head a bit further north, you could loop Sugarloaf Mountain: Sugarloaf Mtn. Road -> Thurston Rd. -> Peters Rd. (rough at points) -> Park Mills Rd. -> Mt. Ephraim Rd.
That does look like an awesome loop. Unfortunately to do it and be back by my deadline, I would probably have to leave at 5:00.

If others who are riding want to try, I am game, I will just have to probably run back on 15 in a hurry and cut out Bull Run Mountain Road etc.

I also hesitate when I see "rough at points" noted on this website.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #3950
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Hey guys, won't be able to join, but I would like to mention that River Rd. from Edwards Ferry to Whites Ferry is gravel. I ride this route home from work a couple times a week, Alexandria to L'burg.
--Curious about that commute. Does it occur during normal rush hours? How does that route work?
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #3951
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
That does look like an awesome loop. Unfortunately to do it and be back by my deadline, I would probably have to leave at 5:00.

If others who are riding want to try, I am game, I will just have to probably run back on 15 in a hurry and cut out Bull Run Mountain Road etc.

As long as we are out ridding, I am game for any route.
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #3952
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
As long as we are out ridding, I am game for any route.
I just printed out my original proposed route, and have been memorizing it the old school way (since I don't have a gps on the bike). At this point I suppose my preference is to hit Sugarloaf on another ride. But it does look awesome.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #3953
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I just printed out my original proposed route, and have been memorizing it the old school way (since I don't have a gps on the bike). At this point I suppose my preference is to hit Sugarloaf on another ride. But it does look awesome.
Well I have to confess, my GPS is on my phone, not on my bike. There is always Sunday or possibly next weekend for that trip.
"See You Next Wednesday"
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #3954
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Great ride today

Met up with Lacedaemon today and rode his route the he posted earlier. Mostly slab with about 10-15% hardpacked dirt and some gravel. Even had a short hop on White's ferry across the Potomac. All in all a very fun morning.
"See You Next Wednesday"
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #3955
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
Met up with Lacedaemon today and rode his route the he posted earlier. Mostly slab with about 10-15% hardpacked dirt and some gravel. Even had a short hop on White's ferry across the Potomac. All in all a very fun morning.
That was a very fun ride! I would definitely like to do it again adding in the Sugarloaf Mountain loop.

It was nice to meet you!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #3956
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,056
Sorry I missed it inmates. My excuse is in the SMIB thread. I really wanted to go.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #3957
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That was a very fun ride! I would definitely like to do it again adding in the Sugarloaf Mountain loop.

It was nice to meet you!
Like wise. Put Sugarloaf on the list!!!!
"See You Next Wednesday"
Old 10-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #3958
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Sorry I missed it inmates. My excuse is in the SMIB thread. I really wanted to go.
No worries. As long as it's not raining, no reason not to ride.
"See You Next Wednesday"
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #3959
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
There are parts of Peters Rd. that are a bit beat up, so I thought a fair warning should go out, nothing more. I've seen cars like the Prius go through there so it's not too bad.
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #3960
drb20176
ADVCOW

Oddometer: 9
Alexandria to L'burg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
--Curious about that commute. Does it occur during normal rush hours? How does that route work?
I've found a commute schedule that works great for me. And it goes a little something like this:

My morning ride starts in L'burg at 6:00a - straight down Rt 7 and I'm at my office (Rt7 at 395) by 7:00a. Done. Occasionally, Iíll get out of Tysonís Corner on Chain Bridge/123 over to 267 (no tolls at that point) to 66 to 395, still the same 60 minutes, but Iím riding, not stop-n-go through Tysonís/Fallís Church.

I depend on Google Maps/Traffic in the afternoon and that ultimately dictates how/where I'm going home. Kickstand up between 3:45p-4:00p; up 395, over to GW Pkwy, then, either crossing into MD - the fun way - or sneak around on G'town Pike/Bellview to Rt. 7, which I donít usually do; traffic through Sterling and the guaranteed ball up at LoCo Pkwy all the way back to Belmont Ridge just isn't worth it.
On the MD route, it just depends on how much time I have to play. Lots of time = all the way up and around Point of Rocks; Need to be efficient = pavement to Whites Ferry (although miss timing the ferry ruins all efficiency); Play Ride = dirt sections of River Rd. to Whites Ferry. Oddly enough they all work out to 90 minutes, give or take, but the SPM, (Smiles Per Miles) is outstanding for all, Iíll only touch the ground 4-5 times in 40-50 miles of commuting.

Again, it works for me, and there are a number of variations depending on my mood and that of my fellow cagers.

Dave Brown
í12 DL650 White - ADVCOW