ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #4096
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
IMO, if you want quality in your gear but resources are tight, think about buying used.

Figure out out size you are. Then check out the flea market regularly to be able to jump on something that might come up. You can often get like new quality for less than half the cost of new.

A Roadcrafter IS a lot more money than a set of overalls. But, it could likely save you money in case of a get-off.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #4097
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,324
I use a $200 Fieldsheer one piece with a Gerbings jacket underneath. I treat it every year with Nikwax and its been reliably waterproof through many storms. I used it for my cross country beer run last year and it didn't let me down. It also has decent armor (I am especially paranoid about having back armor), and fairly easy to get on and off, though certainly not as easy at a Roadcrafter. The waist adjustment on one side just tore off so no making it tighter, but it doesn't seem to have affected the suit 's fit all that much.

Thinking about replacing this and my two piece riding setup with something from Olympia.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #4098
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Oddometer: 603
I was able parley wife's safety concerns into a special budget allocation at Christmas. They sell returns for a lil less. Your mileage may vary... The one piece is my preference as I pre-made the AGATE choice- typically I wear just a jacket as the seep rate pant are a hassle to "add" - so the coveralls-esp in cold is my pref. ask Santa... Who knows
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #4099
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I just picked up the Carhartt extreme coveralls which are 1000d Cordura (not cotton duck like the normal Carhartts) with double layers in the seat and knees.

It's not as versatile as a one piece suit because it's a lot harder to vent and you can't reduce the insulation if you get too warm, but with Bohn armor or something similar underneath, I don't think you give up any protection to textile MC gear. Definitely not as good overall, but for $119, I'm hoping it's good enough.

This was my special budget allocation

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #4100
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Oddometer: 603
It'll work well. I rode two years in nylon snowsuit prior to working up the ladder. One treatment with nixwax might help shed water should you get stuck in the wet. Cold & wet is not my happy place...
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #4101
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
A roadcrafter would be awesome - one piece of gear that covers that much weather. But they are awfully spendy.
I got a used roadcrafter from the flea market here for $300. With long underwear and a heated vest I am comfortable to about 20F. It might work below that but the temps have not dropped that low yet.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #4102
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I just rode ~210 miles in the Carhartt with temperatures averaging around 35. Everything from interstate to gravel fire road.

I started off with just a T-shirt and jeans on underneath and had to add a light fleece.

I didn't get cold until the last hour or so at 70mph on I-66. For colder weather I would add long underwear or an extra insulating layer, but for the money it was great.

A motorcycle specific garment that was more tailored would catch less wind and seal better at the ankles and wrists and probably be more waterproof.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #4103
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,829
I've been MIA for a while from the NoVA riding scene due to some serious cashflow problems. Now that I've got a surpluss, I have to decide whether to go with an Athena 310 kit for the TE in the barn, or keep migrating to the 450 engine the PO was putting in. 450 engine needs trans work, probably some ECU upgrading, and various other bits and bobs.

So...

I'll probably be using this as an 'all-round' bike ride to the ride, ride the ride, ride home as well as ride it to work (30-ish mi straight up 66 to 28 at non-rush hour speeds) and back.

I'm leaning towards the 310 kit 'cause the bike was originally a 250 bike, but the extra power of the 450 engine would be beneficial 'JRA.'

Thoughts?

Anyone in the area good at diagnosing Husky issues?

Thanks,

M
Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #4104
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
So, who was towing the X-Challenge behind the BMW wagon on I-81S near Winchester today?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #4105
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
FYI - "Why We Ride" is playing in Georgetown on December 2:

I might go. It looks entertaining.
Any of you FFs that didn't get a ticket for the Georgetown showing, it's going to be shown in Baltimore(actually the theater is at I-695 & I-70 west of Bmore) Sunday the 8th if we get a few more tickets sold.

We will be doing lunch before the movie.

More info here:
"Why We Ride" Ride/Drive to eat/see movie Sunday 12/8 Baltimore

Tickets availabale here:
http://www.tugg.com/events/6813

Now back to your regular programing.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #4106
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've been MIA for a while from the NoVA riding scene due to some serious cashflow problems. Now that I've got a surpluss, I have to decide whether to go with an Athena 310 kit for the TE in the barn, or keep migrating to the 450 engine the PO was putting in. 450 engine needs trans work, probably some ECU upgrading, and various other bits and bobs.

So...

I'll probably be using this as an 'all-round' bike ride to the ride, ride the ride, ride home as well as ride it to work (30-ish mi straight up 66 to 28 at non-rush hour speeds) and back.

I'm leaning towards the 310 kit 'cause the bike was originally a 250 bike, but the extra power of the 450 engine would be beneficial 'JRA.'

Thoughts?

Anyone in the area good at diagnosing Husky issues?

Thanks,

M
Hi there,

I have a Husky 610 and I am pretty good at diagnosing stuff on that bike, but I know little to nothing about the te 250's or the 310 mod. Let me know what you decide to do concerning a te 450, as that is the next bike on my radar in the very distant future.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #4107
ClutchCargo55
650XChallenge

Oddometer: 75
X Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
So, who was towing the X-Challenge behind the BMW wagon on I-81S near Winchester today?
Hey, Butters. That wasn't me towing on I-81, but your UserName/byline caught my eye. I'm not a regular to this thread, but ride an X Challenge out of Front Royal.

I got a PM from McGarrett a while back who mentioned that there were a few other X riders in the area. Do you know or ride with him? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903321

If you ever want to come out here to where the REAL dual-sport riding is, let me know and I'd be happy to show you some of my favorite spots.

ClutchCargo55 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 12:34 PM
ClutchCargo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #4108
BSK
Ohhh mist! Die Bullen!!!!

Oddometer: 355
Clutch,

you've seen this?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928975
Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #4109
ClutchCargo55
650XChallenge

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK View Post
Yep - proud member FWIW.

Also play the Northwestern Va Tag http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...68965&page=181

But while I've got your viewership's attention, anybody have good/bad things to say about Beemer Uber Alles for maintenance? http://beemersuberalles.com/
ClutchCargo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #4110
BSK
Ohhh mist! Die Bullen!!!!

Oddometer: 355
Go to George and tell him the German sent you.
Straight up HONEST guy. Im friends with him so I let others chime in. Check maybe with the bmwbmw.org boards but you won't get disappointed.
He has two service loaners and one car he can loan as well.