ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
DNA
Recalculating....

Oddometer: 156
Since I picked up the new GSA in Tampa on New Years day - I have not had the bikes out of the garage.

While shoveling the last few weekends i have started them up and let 'em run a bit - i tell myself it is good to let them run, charge the batteries, move some oil etc. but actually it is really good for me to hear them run.

Expept I could not get the 'Tard started. For some reason - having a bike in the garage that I cannot start drives me nuts. It's like some test waiting fopr me - not knowing exactly why it will not run - thinking about the options (all bad) etc. really gets to me.

So I went out yesterday and drained the carb, checked the plug, charged the battery and it FIRED up.

A quick spin round the development and I feel refreshed - it runs!

Man - I hat eit when I have a motor that will not start. Anyone else suffer from this malady?
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #32
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Yes

A bike in my garage that is not rideable drives me batty. Gwen, not so much.

Lots of ice covered dead ends today...still had another good ride.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #33
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Yes, but with my snowblower ... on December 19th. Hastily rebuilt the carb and it's cleared all 5+ feet of snow since. It's still running a little lean, but I don't want to mess with it until this winter ends.
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Ethanol fuels will gum up much faster than the non-E fuels of days gone by. And the older fuel stabilizers will not work with the ethanol enhanced fuels.

There are newer fuel stabilizers for use with the E-fuels that help but it's always best to drain the carb, shut off the fuel supply and fog the engine if its going to set for more than 2-3 months (snow blowers, lawn mowers, chain saws, etc.)

For the short term, 6-8 weeks, the new stabilizers seem to work just fine and the ethanol doesn't appear to gum up the carbs.
RC3094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #35
DNA
Recalculating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc3094
and fog the engine .
I know about draining the carbs, removing the battery, adding stabil to a full tank of fuel, but what is the "Fog" protocol?

Sounds interesting.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #36
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Well, even though the DoctoR is for sale I had to put some more miles on it. After seeing the water crossing pics and having never ridden in that area, I set out about noon today. I learned that I am way too relient on my gypsy, which I coincidentally broke while rolling through Bust Head Rd . I used the "If the sun sets on my right then I'm heading south" method, which bought me in safely to home base after dark. I saw a few bikes on the road today, only one BMW and I'm willing to bet he's a member just by the extra effort in his wave.

This place here just begs to be checked out, you can barely make out the house on the right.

I love signs like these.

If you approach the creek from this side, make a slight U by going a little downstream and then coming back up slightly to get out the other side. Pretty shallow, deep enough to get my feet wet. And no, I wasn't going fast enough to make a huge wave. I was riding alone and didn't want to chance falling in and getting all my folding money wet.

From the other side.

I like this sign also.

This was the second time I crossed this creek today, no pics the first time cause "those meddling kids" were toking up on my entry side, they did back up out of my way. Of course they hung around until I got out the other side just to see if they could help me out, or laugh their asses off when I fell in.

Overall it was a great ride, I think it was about 120 miles. I saw probably 50-75 deer, a dead skunk and smelled several others. Not cold at all, even after the sun went down.

Gotlabs screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 05:45 PM
Gotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #37
LoCoMatt
Busy

looks like you had an action packed day! Hit several of my favorite roads

It should be interesting to see how high the crossings get with the rain coming.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #38
LoCoMatt
Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA
I know about draining the carbs, removing the battery, adding stabil to a full tank of fuel, but what is the "Fog" protocol?

Sounds interesting.
I might actually use some this year. The 'blower sat for years prior to this season, but with this much use, I want to make sure it's good to go next year.

Product Description
Two- and four-stroke recreational vehicles, hand-held power equipment, small engines, construction and farm equipment are commonly operated seasonally or infrequently, then stored for long periods of time. During these periods of inactivity, and as a result of fluctuations in ambient temperatures, water vapor can form condensate within the engine. When this condensate comes into direct contact with steel and iron components, it forms surface corrosion on cylinder liners, piston rings, anti-friction bearings and steel/iron contact surfaces on rotational seals. Long periods of storage can also dry out cylinders, often resulting in permanent damage when the equipment is taken out of storage and dry started. In addition, fuel within stored equipment tends to oxidize and form varnish and sludge deposits that clog injectors, fuel lines and carburetors, stick floats and cause poor engine performance, starting problems, increased maintenance expenses and decreased equipment life.

Most two- and four-stroke motor oils are formulated to have an affinity to engine component surfaces, acting as a barrier that keeps condensate from contacting engine components and forming corrosion. However, the effectiveness of motor oil in this area diminishes with time.

AMSOIL Engine Fogging Oil (FOG) offers superior film retention, providing long-term protection against corrosion and dry starts, extending engine life and reducing operating expenses. Its aerosol spray formulation offers easy and clean applications, while reaching more components and offering complete distribution of the oil, something especially beneficial in applications with horizontal cylinder orientation, such as outboard motors. Consult equipment owners manual for application directions.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA

Sounds interesting.
AMSOIL and a few others make an engine fogging oil. It's a heavy weight, clinging oil designed to keep rust and corrosion at bay. It's similar to cosmoline.

On carburetor engines, spray the fogging oil directly down the carb throat until the engine dies. It coats the intake and exhaust tract, cylinder wall, piston and rings. Then drain the carb bowl and leave the drains open several hours so all the fuel dries from the jets and in the bowl.

Same thing with an FI motor except there's no way to drain all the fuel off the injectors so make sure to add fuel stabilizer before fogging and run it til you're sure it has circulated through the FI loop. Some people take compressed air and pump air through the FI loop to purge the fuel from the system.

The fogging oil also helps on start-up since everything is coated with oil.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #40
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs
"those meddling kids" were toking up on my entry side, they did back up out of my way. Of course they hung around until I got out the other side just to see if they could help me out, or laugh their asses off when I fell in.

Every time I've crossed that creek, there have been kids on the wide bank smoking pot. It doesn't surprise me that you found them there as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #41
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc3094
Every time I've crossed that creek, there have been kids on the wide bank smoking pot. It doesn't surprise me that you found them there as well.
Its safe to say there are probably spots on MOST stream banks in NOVA where that is a common occourrence...
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #42
DNA
Recalculating....

Sounds like a good idea for next season.

Regarding Amsoil, I've never used it, but remember looking into it and seeing it was well priced and very good rep.

I have heard of getting a distributor deal for a nominal fee - is this the preferred method?

Any Dealers in NoVA or should I just get my own.

I have 4 bikes, a lawnmower, weed trimmer and a few cars - so i consume a few gallons of oil each season.

I figure if I order for my needs, and include what pop and a few buddies will need, it would be quite a big order.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #43
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Its safe to say there are probably spots on MOST stream banks in NOVA where that is a common occourrence...
More than you can imagine but many are off the beaten path......
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #44
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomatt
I think you actually want to stay downstream ... there's a definite dip on the right side (going east to west/ Snickersville to St. Louis).

I found it when I went across to set the video camera, and Mica got caught up in it too with a tag.
I went right down the center and found a hole that swallowed my front wheel.

That water crossing is fairly exciting!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #45
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomatt
looks like you had an action packed day! Hit several of my favorite roads

It should be interesting to see how high the crossings get with the rain coming.
I'd like to see that also, there are some deep holes in there now just waiting on someone not to look before they leap. Both crossings today had holes big enough to swallow a wheel/drown a motor just to the upstream side of both entry and exit sides. As for the 420 kids, I could think of worst things they could be doing. I know I was no where near innocent as a teenidiot.