ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #4516
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I've got a question for all you apartment dwelling inmates. at the moment, my bike is living happily in my in laws garage a few miles down the road. all fine and dandy for the bike, but not so much me. My current line of thinking was to bring it over to the apartment probably in the next couple weeks. I've got a cover for it, but I'm trying to think of what else I will need. Luckily it can share a space with my truck, meaning I can take over an end space near the building (plenty of open parking) if need be I suppose I could chain it to my truck, although I've seen quite a few other bikes in the complex and hope that isn't necessary. What are yall running fot security, etc, or some of the problems you have run into being in an apartment that a first time apartment dweller may not know about?

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #4517
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Back when I lived in an apartment complex, I kept the bike covered and parked it at the front of the spot, with the cage behind it, thus blocking it in. I used a bad ass Yamaha lock through the wheel. Its better than a Kriptonyte.

Anyhow, one time in 2006 when I was in a different complex, I didn't cover it, but did have the lock through the wheel. The complex assholes had it towed because the inspection was expired!. I left it in a spot by its self. Because no car was blocking it, they could scoop it up. Also, they wouldn't have seen the sticker if I had the cover on it. The tow truck guy commented on how the lock was impossible to pick or break.

That was a bad feeling that morning. Waking up and seeing the bike gone thinking it was stolen. I felt like such a tool when I called the cops and they told me it was towed because the inspection was expired
Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #4518
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
On Apartment Parking

Quote:
I've got a question for all you apartment dwelling inmates . . . (schnutzy)
First, regarding SteelB12's post above:

No lawyer, I, but . . . I think a distinction exists between parking on a public street, and parking in an apartment parking lot (private property), regarding towing/removal of vehicles with expired inspection stickers.

Law enforcement may be legally empowered to remove vehicles with delinquent inspections from public streets; not sure about those parked in private parking lots.

Covenants, or restrictions, in tenant rental agreements (or condo homeowner agreements), however, may give the complex management or residents' association the power to order private evacuation of vehicles with expired inspections from the premises.

Now, to schnutzy's question: I've used one or more of .these theft deterrents, at different times and places:

Motion-activated floodlights.
Cover (to discourage pilfering).
Kryptonite lock and heavy cable, looped to another vehicle.
OEM steering head lock.

(Once, after a local pre-delinquent over-privileged high-schooler lifted the ignition key (I carelessly left the key in the lock when I went inside to change jackets), I set up a video wireless coverage system (back-up camera in the lot, and monitor in the house) the next day after school. I "baited" the bike with a phony ignition key. To my amazement, just after I plugged in the monitor to a power supply, I SAW a juvenile jerk dart over to the bike and snatch the fake key! I ran outside and confronted him, had the cops called, informed the school "Resource Officer" about the kid's criminal behavior (did not prosecute). Got the fake key back, and--didn't give 'em any chance to snatch the key again.)

All this said, fact-of-life: Time and persistence, stealth and speed, can defeat any of these countermeasures. My ultimate defense is: COMPREHENSIVE insurance coverage!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 AM   #4519
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,139
my apt lease specifically states that the vehicle must have a current registration or it will be towed.

I think a cover is great defense. maybe also having an ugly bmw gs that nobody seems to want to steal is good too. when I am not riding my bike frequently, like now with this shit weather, I park my bike like Steel does with the bike in front with the car blocking it in with the cover on. when I am riding it daily I switch it around where the car is in front of the bike. no issues so far. been parking my bikes outside/under a carport since 2003 in NOVA. I just hope for best and have insurance.

if you read any of that reddit thread from the bike thief, a lock, any lock, is pretty much useless.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #4520
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Heated gear...check
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #4521
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
With the approval of my building, I run a 30' length of 5/16" chain from a light pole and then run individual cables off of it that lock up my canoe and a couple of motorcycles. I use keyed alike pro series master locks and lock the bikes through the triple trees. Anyone with time and/or tools could defeat this, but it prevents the casual dump into a pickup (important with 250's). I also keep the bikes covered. My lease says that current inspection/registration is required, but my landlord is pretty relaxed as long as you aren't junking up his lot.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #4522
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Heated gear...check

I am tempted. Just a bit concerned that the KLR won't turn over when its time to head home tonight.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #4523
HBN OP
is car free

Fortunately it doesn't have a motronic system so you can bump start it. Excuse nullified A good Odyssey battery is hard to beat...unless you let it run down like I did.

The serious issue today is losing feeling in extremities and keeping your head on straight in the cold. I'd just warm my non-working Gerbing glove on the cylinder at stop lights.

It sure makes you laugh at the ridiculousness of your own situation as folks in warm cars toast their hands on the defrosters.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #4524
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

but will it be snowing after midnight??
Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #4525
HBN OP
is car free

Sure but few showers and maybe an inch? Always ride your own ride
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #4526
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Sure but few showers and maybe an inch? Always ride your own ride
hmmm, i need to regain my street cred
Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #4527
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the tips and tricks yall. Having full coverage insurance is something I hadn't even thought about. Knowing me, I probably didn't think about that when I bought it since I knew it would have a secure garage to live in. I'll have to get that sorted out before I bring it to the apartment

2012 Suzuki TU250x
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #4528
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
Thanks for all the tips and tricks yall. Having full coverage insurance is something I hadn't even thought about. Knowing me, I probably didn't think about that when I bought it since I knew it would have a secure garage to live in. I'll have to get that sorted out before I bring it to the apartment
I can think of 3 DC inmates that had bikes stolen just in calendar year 2013. One gone for good, one recovered, and one that fell out of the back of the van as the thieves were making their getaway... during broad daylight. To boot, a non-inmate buddy had his R1 stolen out of his Landmark appt. parking garage a few years back... it was chained to a concrete column in a garage where a passcard was required to gain entry. Eventually recovered, but stripped and totaled.

Full coverage is your friend, even on a nominally valued bike IMO.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #4529
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,015
Hey Garrett, you figure out what was wrong with your bike yet?
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #4530
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
I can think of 3 DC inmates that had bikes stolen just in calendar year 2013. One gone for good, one recovered, and one that fell out of the back of the van as the thieves were making their getaway... during broad daylight. To boot, a non-inmate buddy had his R1 stolen out of his Landmark appt. parking garage a few years back... it was chained to a concrete column in a garage where a passcard was required to gain entry. Eventually recovered, but stripped and totaled.

Full coverage is your friend, even on a nominally valued bike IMO.
I'm a bit away from the belt way out in Ashburn, in what I've been led to believe is a good neighborhood, so I hope to not have a problem. The complex I an in has a 3 or 4 other bikes, so that is somewhat comforting

2012 Suzuki TU250x