ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #4711
BubbasDucati
Very new nOOb

Oddometer: 69
elnonio, the only thing Korean I can teach you is what to eat, the spouse is the language expert. Would gladly trade a rack to use a trailer.

Quote:
Rode my Ducati MS1200 around here on back roads with mostly packed dirt and some gravel. Not bad, a little uneasy at times, but not bad."
Maybe you can provide me with some tips on the MS?

Lupin 3rd: I'll be riding slow for a while. I might look into a smaller bike for backroads.
BubbasDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #4712
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 671
Laugh

Who loves me? Lisa loves me. Nothing says romance like the AWESOMEST GS1100 centerstand in the nation...if not the world!!!!

PS. Thanks inmate You Know Who You Are for the assist. Aces.

ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #4713
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
Who loves me? Lisa loves me. Nothing says romance like the AWESOMEST GS1100 centerstand in the nation...if not the world!!!!

That's so sweet!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #4714
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
I very happy to see that the center stand from my GS is appreciated!
Richard

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #4715
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbasDucati View Post
elnonio, the only thing Korean I can teach you is what to eat, the spouse is the language expert. Would gladly trade a rack to use a trailer.

Maybe you can provide me with some tips on the MS?

Lupin 3rd: I'll be riding slow for a while. I might look into a smaller bike for backroads.
Spent almost a year combined time in S.Korea (Chinhae, Seoul, Busan and Pohang) curtsey of Uncle Sam so I know you don't think this weather is all that cold. Korea has got to be the coldest place I have ever been. Would love to pass on some tips. When it gets just a few degrees warmer we can hit some of those backroads.
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #4716
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnonio View Post
Come on over for a test drive when the roads clear up!
Is there ever a good time to be on 95?
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #4717
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
Spent almost a year combined time in S.Korea (Chinhae, Seoul, Busan and Pohang) curtsey of Uncle Sam so I know you don't think this weather is all that cold. Korea has got to be the coldest place I have ever been. Would love to pass on some tips. When it gets just a few degrees warmer we can hit some of those backroads.
Waiting on orders, preliminary word is I'm headed for Korea. Wait and see, as usual.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #4718
BubbasDucati
Very new nOOb

Hope everyone had a good Valentines day. Wish my bike was here. I will put the new battery in the Tmax and hitvthe road tomorrow. Just need to lug the tools over from storage.

BubbasDucati screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 08:11 PM
Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #4719
BubbasDucati
Very new nOOb

Quote:
Waiting on orders, preliminary word is I'm headed for Korea. Wait and see, as usual.
I would like to go back, the only down side is cant ride on the freeways.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #4720
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post

Motorcycles and candy are bad for you.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #4721
Blixa
Derelicte

NoVA peeps -

I'd like to paint my stock spoked wheels. They see a bit of abuse from gravel and dirt. I'd like to know if it would be best to anodize or powder coat them (i.e. - which would last longer?).

Also, I would like to know if there are any places in the NoVA area that do either one.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #4722
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
NoVA peeps -

I'd like to paint my stock spoked wheels. They see a bit of abuse from gravel and dirt. I'd like to know if it would be best to anodize or powder coat them (i.e. - which would last longer?).

Also, I would like to know if there are any places in the NoVA area that do either one.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Aluminum or Steel wheels? You can only anodize aluminum. So that could answer your question right there...

From the inter webs:
Anodizing is actually a form of corrosion that adds a hardness to the surface of most aluminum alloys, 6601 T6 being the alloy most familiar. A hard anodize finish is vastly superior to any powder coat (paint) for many reasons. It truly resists scratching, will never peel off, is color fast, and is very corrosion resistant. Note that there are soft anodize finishes (look kind of shiny, and shallow) that are crap, always ask for a hard anodized finish (duller and deeper color). Hard anodize is only available in deep silver and black or slightly bronze color. The dip in electrically charged sulfuric acid (must use titanum racks to caddy the aluminum in this acid) should be one hour long, and the finished product must be properly sealed afterwards by quenching (I'm not too sure about this process, but I do know that it is very important). In the marine industry, we swear by hard black anodize on all aluminum product.

I had a powder coating quote once from somewhere around here. I'll have to see if I can dig their number up.
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #4723
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbasDucati View Post
I would like to go back, the only down side is cant ride on the freeways.
For what I'd like to do, wouldn't bother me one bit. Indonesia was like that too.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #4724
Blixa
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
Aluminum or Steel wheels? You can only anodize aluminum. So that could answer your question right there...

From the inter webs:
Anodizing is actually a form of corrosion that adds a hardness to the surface of most aluminum alloys, 6601 T6 being the alloy most familiar. A hard anodize finish is vastly superior to any powder coat (paint) for many reasons. It truly resists scratching, will never peel off, is color fast, and is very corrosion resistant. Note that there are soft anodize finishes (look kind of shiny, and shallow) that are crap, always ask for a hard anodized finish (duller and deeper color). Hard anodize is only available in deep silver and black or slightly bronze color. The dip in electrically charged sulfuric acid (must use titanum racks to caddy the aluminum in this acid) should be one hour long, and the finished product must be properly sealed afterwards by quenching (I'm not too sure about this process, but I do know that it is very important). In the marine industry, we swear by hard black anodize on all aluminum product.

I had a powder coating quote once from somewhere around here. I'll have to see if I can dig their number up.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure the wheels are aluminum. I thought aluminum could be powder coated? In any event, it sounds like I should anodize them. I'm in between a sweet paint job or a set of Excels. I'm leaning toward the former b/c I don't feel like spending Excel money. So I guess I need a shop that specializes in anodization nearby. Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #4725
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Thanks! I'm pretty sure the wheels are aluminum. I thought aluminum could be powder coated? In any event, it sounds like I should anodize them. I'm in between a sweet paint job or a set of Excels. I'm leaning toward the former b/c I don't feel like spending Excel money. So I guess I need a shop that specializes in anodization nearby. Thanks again for your help!
How about the PlastiDip stuff. If you don't like it peal it off. Pep Boys carries the spay cans. Supposed to be somewhat tuff. Google search has some videos on how to apply.

http://www.google.com/search?ei=ZmwB...67.fhhovpV9m_c

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote