ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #4996
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Very nice indeed. Now, let's turn our attention to an alligator, waiting to be retrieved, at a most excellent NoVa location. . .
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #4997
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Very nice indeed. Now, let's turn our attention to an alligator, waiting to be retrieved, at a most excellent NoVa location. . .

I'm waiting for it to snow first
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #4998
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Well played.

Anyone in before Tuesday?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Fairfax+VA+22030
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #4999
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,056
daaang someone scratched an itch , sweet Tiger Blixa congrats
Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #5000
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
I'm waiting for it to snow first
Been wanting to see how the knobbies do in the snow.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #5001
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
daaang someone scratched an itch , sweet Tiger Blixa congrats
Haha thanks. I did a lot of itch scratching on it this weekend. Felt good
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #5002
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
I love seeing all this outdoorsness. His Pistolship's saga of assembling the Florida route makes me a bit sad though--not for the trip, which looked wonderful, but for the sheer effort required to string together so much nature in this day and age. I really respect HP's tenacity and gumption. It shouldn't have to be so hard, but it's the world we live in today, and unless things change dramatically, it'll be even harder for our children.

I'm finally in a position to get back to the longer rides that fueled me when I lived out west. July will be a trip to the Dakotas via Canada and then back through Kentucky and Tennessee. Planning to camp out most of the way and stay off the interstate for almost all of it. Later this fall, up to Maine (inland route) and hopefully back into Canada. By then I'll have ridden 43 of the lower 48. So much more still out there...

"Always look ahead and above yourself." --Ono Yoshikazu, Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Thanks Gaigin. If you want to do some dirt while out in the Dakotas there is the DAKAL, or Dakota Adventure Loop. I think it is finished (some guys hadn't really sorted it all out yet, but it should be done by now). It is a 900 mile loop that is big bike friendly. If you google it, it will come... Also, you could spend a couple of days doing dirt in the Black Hills of SD. I spent a day there last time I went though and it is awesome and enchanting territory. You can pick up little brochure/touristy maps everywhere that show the dirt roads, albeit not in much detail, but there are signs everywhere. I just started in the south of the Black Hills and ended up in Sturgis at the end of the day. Really easy navigating too, I didn't have a gps.

The intermountain west really still is open. There are over 40,000 miles of dirt road in Idaho alone. Doubtful you could do it all in a year. I usually ride without a gps or maps or anything because if you can see where you want to go, there is almost certainly a dirt road that will get you there, and you can almost always see where you want to go. Granted, I know the area so I know where I am at and know where the mountain ranges are, so navigating is pretty easy.

There were a couple of days in eastern Idaho where I would just take off in the morning with a general sense of where I wanted to end up and at the end of the day I had done 170 miles and only 15 of them were pavement. I knew there was this reservoir somewhere down southeast, and once there I would traverse a mountain range to the west then head back north. That was my plan. No maps, no gps, just curiosity. It all worked out fine, and I hadn't even touched 1% of the dirt within a hundred miles of my house. I wish you all could come out to Idaho and ride. It is so wide open and free. When you come to a gate the policy is "leave it how you found it" meaning you can enter so long as you close the gate behind you so the cows don't get out. Local ranchers are mostly just happy to see someone if they find you. God, I love the mountain west.

If you want to see some of the territory around my hometown look at the bottom link in my signature.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #5003
BubbasDucati
Very new nOOb

Oddometer: 93
Idaho is cool but Hayden lake, a place to be avoided.. I miss the openness of Spokane area, just to the west, of the Idaho border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BubbasDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #5004
BubbasDucati
Very new nOOb

Oddometer: 93
Everyone have a good week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BubbasDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #5005
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Thanks Gaigin. If you want to do some dirt while out in the Dakotas there is the DAKAL, or Dakota Adventure Loop. I think it is finished (some guys hadn't really sorted it all out yet, but it should be done by now). It is a 900 mile loop that is big bike friendly. If you google it, it will come... Also, you could spend a couple of days doing dirt in the Black Hills of SD. I spent a day there last time I went though and it is awesome and enchanting territory. You can pick up little brochure/touristy maps everywhere that show the dirt roads, albeit not in much detail, but there are signs everywhere. I just started in the south of the Black Hills and ended up in Sturgis at the end of the day. Really easy navigating too, I didn't have a gps.
Link to the DAKAL website.

DAKAL

They've got tracks for download. I'm trying to figure out how to get a couple weeks and go home to western NE for a couple days and ride this with my cousin.

Corporate Downsized - Screw it, I'm doing the TranLab

Wife and kids left, I'm going to WV
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #5006
kev187
Faux Pas Rendezvous

Oddometer: 226
Was out exploring some roads in West VA this weekend, I was visiting my brother who lives in Berkely Springs. Found some really great roads to test the new Tenere out, randomly ran into this guy on a BMW GS. He and his BMW moved here from Austria and was hoping I was his neighbor, as he has no one to go riding with. Really great riding up that way.

2014 Honda Grom
2013 Super Tenere'
kev187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #5007
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 710
Question

Who in the area has the largest selection of (street) helmets? Coleman's in Woodbridge?

Thanks!

PS Blixa...congrats. But is it battling you? Already?
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #5008
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
You might consider riding up to Revzilla in Philadelphia if you want to take your time and try on a lot of helmets. The investment in time will probably pay off over the lifetime of the helmet.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #5009
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
You might consider riding up to Revzilla in Philadelphia if you want to take your time and try on a lot of helmets. The investment in time will probably pay off over the lifetime of the helmet.

And there is better beer available!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #5010
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev187 View Post
Was out exploring some roads in West VA this weekend, I was visiting my brother who lives in Berkely Springs. Found some really great roads to test the new Tenere out, randomly ran into this guy on a BMW GS. He and his BMW moved here from Austria and was hoping I was his neighbor, as he has no one to go riding with. Really great riding up that way.

Did you direct him here? If he posted on the Eastern Panhandle tag thread he'd find locals to ride with.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote