ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #5401
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie-Owner View Post
Went to the outlet malls today with the girlfriend and apparently some stores like Nike are using iPhones to take credit cards. Does anyone else find this to be totally unprofessional? Or is this just me?
CVS let's you use your cell phone to pay. I was super excited until I realized that it was more trouble to pull my cell phone and enter a pin than to pull my wallet and swipe a card.

In my opinion, it's one of those technologies that won't matter until they charge you a material amount to issue a physical card. As long as you have plastic, it's easier to swipe. When they take plastic away, the NFC enabled cellphone will become indispensable.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #5402
BubbasDucati
Very new nOOb

Oddometer: 86
Hope the weather is good.. want to go ride tomorrow!
BubbasDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #5403
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
CVS let's you use your cell phone to pay. I was super excited until I realized that it was more trouble to pull my cell phone and enter a pin than to pull my wallet and swipe a card.

In my opinion, it's one of those technologies that won't matter until they charge you a material amount to issue a physical card. As long as you have plastic, it's easier to swipe. When they take plastic away, the NFC enabled cellphone will become indispensable.
I think he's talking about using an iPhone as a terminal vs NFC… think like Square.

Pretty normal to me in 2014…..
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #5404
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
I think he's talking about using an iPhone as a terminal vs NFC… think like Square.

Pretty normal to me in 2014…..
Ahh. Gotcha. Agree. Square doesn't phase me.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #5405
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Thumb HBN is off!

A couple of us rode with him out of town.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=508
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #5406
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
Happy Trails, Mike!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #5407
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie-Owner View Post
Went to the outlet malls today with the girlfriend and apparently some stores like Nike are using iPhones to take credit cards. Does anyone else find this to be totally unprofessional? Or is this just me?
I agree. A small business, I may understand. A large outfit likely has a central payment and inventory processing system, so now you have no way of nowing whether the employee is using his personal cell phone or it's really a business phone. I would refuse to have my payment processed that way.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #5408
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I'm about to commit a federal offense on these stinking vultures around here. i put up with their smelly roosting behavior for a few years now. Its kind of Hitchcockingly cool to see them all soaring around when its too windy for them to roost.

Longtime birdwatcher here. Black vultures (darker, gray faces) and Turkey vultures (red faces) aren't the same animal. Both are year-round inhabitants of our area, and both are listed as "least concern" when it comes to endangered-ness.

I don't know which is OK to kill, but they make a hell of a mess when you hit them with your motorcycle DAHIK. Don't do it that way.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #5409
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
Longtime birdwatcher here. Black vultures (darker, gray faces) and Turkey vultures (red faces) aren't the same animal. Both are year-round inhabitants of our area, and both are listed as "least concern" when it comes to endangered-ness.

I don't know which is OK to kill, but they make a hell of a mess when you hit them with your motorcycle DAHIK. Don't do it that way.
Thanks for the info. the turkey vultures are stinky but tolerable. they seem to move on when the leaves come in. The trouble is coming from black vulture which I thought were just young turkeys but that explains the difference this year, a whole nuther species has moved in.

The guy at walmart said that the black ones are destructive and that farmers can protect baby livestock from them. I was looking for .22 birdshot or blanks to scare them off but no .22 ammo was available at all

isn't there a whistling shotgun shell that is used to scare geese off golf courses?

Carl from caddyshack?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #5410
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
In today's news. . ..

LAS VEGAS — A University of California, Berkeley, law school graduate was sentenced to up to four years' probation and monthly work at an animal shelter for beheading an exotic bird at a Las Vegas Strip resort.
Justin Alexander Teixeira apologized Monday to the state of Nevada and to people affected by his drunken escapade at the Flamingo resort in October 2012.
The 25-year-old recently completed a 190-day prison boot camp at Indian Springs instead of time behind bars for his felony conviction. He learned during that time that he passed the California bar exam.
Defense attorney Michael Pariente sought 18 months' probation, and told Clark County District Court Judge Stefany Miley the conviction would haunt Teixeira for the rest of his life.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #5411
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
University of California, Berkeley

Well, DUH........
Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #5412
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,649
Thumb Beautiful Women Need HELP!!! Free Beer and Pizza!

We need strong bodies to help my wife SweetBird (Robin, on left below), and my youngest daughter SingingBird (Annie, middle--and yeah, there's a story in that nickname . . ).

Oldest daughter Erin on right--but she lives in Denver and doesn't need the help . . . .

Anyway, Annie's moving from Reston out here to the Pacific North Wet to go back to school, as well as transferring to an Army reserve unit at Joint Base Lewis-McCord.

She's using a "you pack, we drive" moving service to save money. Robin's flying back to Virginia in early June to help pack. (Me, I gotta stay out west to take care of the dogs . . . and ride my motorcycles . . . ).

They could really, really use some help in putting boxes and furniture on the moving truck on Friday, 6 June (D-Day anniversary) in Reston. (It has to be Friday because she drills in Richmond on Saturday). The truck is supposed to show up at her apartment between 0800 and 1000 that day. I know it's a work day for many of you, but if any of you can drop by her place and help for a couple of hours, Robin's promised FREE BEER AND PIZZA for all that show up!! I guess its up to her to deconflict the hour of the day and the beer offer, but she's a whole lot smarter than I am (many of you've met her and already know that. ), she'll figure something out.

If anybody can help her out, l'd sure appreciate it. And you can have more free beer and pizza, plus a place to stay, if any of you make it out to the PNW.

I'll PM Annie's address in Reston, plus her and Robin's cell phone numbers, to any volunteers.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #5413
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
i wish i could help.

sidenote; anyone know the FZ1 that parks at the post office in the plains? i saw it there once before and saw it again yesterday so i'm guessing its an employees. looks like a nice bike. just kind of weird to see it there, not sure why.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #5414
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
i wish i could help.

sidenote; anyone know the FZ1 that parks at the post office in the plains? i saw it there once before and saw it again yesterday so i'm guessing its an employees. looks like a nice bike. just kind of weird to see it there, not sure why.
The postmaster is a motorcyclist but i don't know what he rides. Good guy though.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #5415
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
probably his then.