ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #5716
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
Nope. Overslept.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #5717
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
thanks for the warm welcome yall
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #5718
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Hi All -- lurker on the thread/semi-local. I live in Germantown, MD now, but I used to live in Alexandria and still spend plenty of time down there, since my family lives there. I ride a KTM 1190 ADV and my brother is on a 1190 ADV-R.

Just say'n hey
Old 08-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #5719
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
thanks for the warm welcome yall
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspaldo View Post
Hi All -- lurker on the thread/semi-local. I live in Germantown, MD now, but I used to live in Alexandria and still spend plenty of time down there, since my family lives there. I ride a KTM 1190 ADV and my brother is on a 1190 ADV-R.

Just say'n hey

Hi you guys, welcome!!

Unrelatedly -
This is some scary shit: "Never Speed in Virginia - Lessons Learned from My 3 Days in Jail" http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053

Quote:
I should probably explain why going into Virginia to have fun in a car is a bad idea in the first place. See, they're crazy about speeding there. Really, really crazy. Speed limits are set absurdly low, 45 mph on some highways. Radar detectors are illegal, and cops have devices to detect them. And if you get caught going over 80 mph at all, that's automatically a reckless driving charge.

Reckless driving is not a traffic citation, it's a criminal charge, and a Class One misdemeanor at that. That means it's the highest level of misdemeanor you can be charged with in Virginia, right below a felony. The maximum penalty for a reckless driving conviction is a $2,500 fine, a six month driver's license suspension, and up to a year in jail.

See what I mean when I told you it's serious? They hand it out like it's Halloween candy, too. You drive 20 mph over the limit, it's reckless driving. They even charge you with it for failing to properly signal, or when you're found to be at fault in a car wreck. I've heard of some cases where people get 30 days in jail if they speed over 100 mph.

Other Class One misdemeanors in Virginia include animal cruelty, sexual battery, and aiming a firearm at someone. This is how the state regards people who drive over 80 mph.
Quote:
I'm not happy that I went to jail and I'm also regretful that I put myself in this position in the first place...

And I'm also writing this, perhaps more than anything else, as a warning to everyone who reads it: Do not speed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Do not go 20 mph over the speed limit, and do not exceed 80 mph when you're there. Ever. Virginia's cops and courts aren't fucking around when it comes to speed. The state has some of the most beautiful roads and rural scenery in America, but if you're going to hoon there, do it in a Miata or an Austin-Healey or a Fiat 500 Abarth or something, not a car with any actual power. Or better yet, take it to the track. Take your fast car to Summit Point or VIR. I wish I had done that instead.

I'm moving back to Texas soon. My radar detector will be a permanent fixture on my dash where it belongs, but I've lowered my speeds considerably. Once it's over I look forward to not going back to Virginia or D.C. — why I don't like that city is a story for another day — for a long time. But I'll never forget my time there, especially because the extra points on my license, the increased cost of my car insurance, and the fact that I now have a criminal record, won't ever let me.

Just do not speed in the Commonwealth of Virginia
I've slowed it down a lot lately, but this article really put the fear in me.

Blixa screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 04:14 PM
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #5720
currenv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I have a colleague who is a lawyer authorized to practice in Virginia. Although he's not in private practice, he has a little pro bono sideline in getting friends and relatives (his son!) out from under the misdemeanor speeding charge. I gather from him there's quite a little industry in representing people who have been charged with speeding which might explain why the laws are so strict. Legislators are often lawyers... Or am I just being my usual cynical self?

Vinnie
currenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #5721
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by currenv View Post
I have a colleague who is a lawyer authorized to practice in Virginia. Although he's not in private practice, he has a little pro bono sideline in getting friends and relatives (his son!) out from under the misdemeanor speeding charge. I gather from him there's quite a little industry in representing people who have been charged with speeding which might explain why the laws are so strict. Legislators are often lawyers... Or am I just being my usual cynical self?

Vinnie
If he wants to make more money, I bet some people here would like to get in contact with him
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #5722
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:

Vinnie
How timely! I got pulled for 75 in a 55 on July 4th. The officer said he clocked me at 75 and he wrote me for the full amount. Exactly 20 over, so automatic Reckless. I have a court date on the 20th and could definitely use some help. If your colleague would be inclined, please drop me a PM!
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #5723
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Vinnie
Makes sense. I remember back in 2007, when VA enacted those crazy ass "civil remedial penalties" (now repealed) the state legislator that authored the bill was formerly an attorney at a firm that dealt mainly in traffic court. Shockingly, after the bill passed he hung up the legislating thing and went back to private practice. Bastard.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5724
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Hi you guys, welcome!!

Unrelatedly -
This is some scary shit: "Never Speed in Virginia - Lessons Learned from My 3 Days in Jail" http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053
I've slowed it down a lot lately, but this article really put the fear in me.
I read that article during some down time at work today, definitely a scary story. I'm glad I don't live in VA anymore - mainly because of the psychotic FFX police/VSP. Granted, the drivers in MD are considerably worse than VA drivers, but the really bad ones are mainly east of I-95 and I don't spend much time there.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #5725
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
I guess its a good thing I ride the KLR. No getting pulled for speeding on that pig
Old 08-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #5726
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I saw this moments after it happened.

It looked really really bad but I was hoping for the best. Apparently I didn't get my wish.

RIP

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...269967771.html

Edit: Updated info and pics of the crash site here:
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2014...road/13613609/

Bike appears to have been a Buell. Sounds like it was the cage that ran the stop sign.

Waiting (im)patiently for a friend of mine who rides a Buell to check in with me. I seem to remember his is yellow, though... I don't see it often so I just can't remember.

SxyRdr screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 09:32 AM
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #5727
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
I am doing some research on my Reckless citation. I happened to notice this in the VA Code:

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...0+cod+46.2-812

It is illegal in VA to drive more than 13 hours in 24 hours. It includes drive time in other states. So, if you drive 13 hours in other states (in a 24 hour period), you can't drive AT ALL in VA for the rest of that 24 hour period. Unless you're driving is for snow or ice control or another emergency situation.

Traffic laws in VA are EFFED UP!
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #5728
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 910
A fellow inmate here was pulled over for lane splitting in VA. Lane splitting is technically illegal in VA, but they don't have a specific citation for it. So It's up to the LEO to decide what to charge you with. This particular LEO decided to cite him with Reckless. For filtering a few cars at a stop light. Completely insane.

Luckily he was on a scooter and it turns out that it's completely legal to filter/lane split on a bicycle or moped and anything under 50cc still counts as a moped, so he got out of it. But not w/o paying a lawyer a whole shit-ton of money.
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #5729
silent7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Welding Services

I'm looking for someone in the NoVa area that can help me out with some gas tank welding. I have an old Honda CL90 that I'm trying to bring back to life and the tank is needing some work. Talked to one guy in Falls Church that wouldn't work on it and coming up empty searching around online.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
silent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #5730
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
A fellow inmate here was pulled over for lane splitting in VA. Lane splitting is technically illegal in VA, but they don't have a specific citation for it. So It's up to the LEO to decide what to charge you with. This particular LEO decided to cite him with Reckless. For filtering a few cars at a stop light. Completely insane.

Luckily he was on a scooter and it turns out that it's completely legal to filter/lane split on a bicycle or moped and anything under 50cc still counts as a moped, so he got out of it. But not w/o paying a lawyer a whole shit-ton of money.
I've always heard it was considered to be reckless driving to filter, so even though there isn't a law on the books that says you can't do it, there's the always faithful Reckless Driving catch all.

The state assembly in VA should consider removing all the other unnecessary/unused driving laws and make everything a reckless driving offense, since in the end of the day it's all about raising revenue. Think of the savings?! Less administrative/printing cost, more revenue. /s