ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #46
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomatt
Holy crap, yeah! Had a lot of fun, but the gravel roads in my county are no longer gravel, they're mud.

Went to check up on my favorite water crossing:

Quite a bit higher than it usually is, and with a little more of a current:

The road going in was 85% clear of snow and ice, but boy was it sloppy!
Hey, your tracks are still there. Those roads are pretty sweet.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #47
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
the latest acquisition

1979 Honda XR 500

not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but the price was decent. May try to make it street legal? May keep it just dirt? If I go the legal route I'll probably try to pick up an XL 500 and graft them together. If anyone knows someone selling a 79-81 XL 500 (or even a 250) let me know, I could use it for parts!

Definitely needs a ring job (probably an overbore at this point). It was funny, as I was checking the crank case for leaks, he assured me that the oil was only leaking out of the connection between the exhaust pipe and muffler! Wonder how it got there?
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #48
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Quote:
1979 Honda XR 500

not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but the price was decent. May try to make it street legal? May keep it just dirt? If I go the legal route I'll probably try to pick up an XL 500 and graft them together. If anyone knows someone selling a 79-81 XL 500 (or even a 250) let me know, I could use it for parts!

Definitely needs a ring job (probably an overbore at this point). It was funny, as I was checking the crank case for leaks, he assured me that the oil was only leaking out of the connection between the exhaust pipe and muffler! Wonder how it got there?
Dude, that is freaking sweet! Your plans sound like a good idea, that would make a great foundation for local riding and just "coolness".
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #49
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
1979 Honda XR 500
Cool...I think I ran into a sweet XL500 at Morton's a few weeks ago...

Can't help you with parts though....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #50
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,829
Mom's well pump went and shit the bed during the big snowstorm (or right after). Seems it wasn't getting air or sumthin and burned up.

Nope. Y'all can have the snow! I'm gonna stick to my 'I'll move back to VA when y'all change the weather' line.

...BUT it sounds like y'all have been riding for fun more'n I have. Startin a new insurance bidness is tough ya know?!

M
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #51
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Does anyone on here know, or have a good POC for a shed? It will be in Orange county, close to the Chancellorsville battlefield off hwy 20.

I'm looking for either a prefab or Amish built shed on site. The other alternative is a steel building if anyone sells those.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #52
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs
Does anyone on here know, or have a good POC for a shed? It will be in Orange county, close to the Chancellorsville battlefield off hwy 20.

I'm looking for either a prefab or Amish built shed on site. The other alternative is a steel building if anyone sells those.
What size?
There is a limit on the size of the pre-builts.
My neighbor bought one from a place on 29 south of Warrenton and it's pretty nice. I think its 12x20 in foot print and came with shelves, 3 foot side door and 7 foot roll-up door.
RC3094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #53
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc3094
What size?
There is a limit on the size of the pre-builts.
My neighbor bought one from a place on 29 south of Warrenton and it's pretty nice. I think its 12x20 in foot print and came with shelves, 3 foot side door and 7 foot roll-up door.
Anything over 150sqft needs a permit. If I have to get a 10x14, it should be fine getting into the place. If I go with a metal building, I'm leaning towards 20x20ish. Something in that neighborhood if it's site built.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #54
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Anything over 150sqft needs a permit. If I have to get a 10x14, it should be fine getting into the place. If I go with a metal building, I'm leaning towards 20x20ish. Something in that neighborhood if it's site built.
It's the same here regarding a permit over 150 sq/ft but there is some sort of exemption for pre-built structures from what my neighbor told me about talking with the county building/zoning. He bought his from Capitol Sheds and they have quite a few locations from Warrenton to Richmond.

If you have the tools, stick building is usually cheaper but it takes longer, unless you have a barn raising party......Inmates will work for beer!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #55
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Quote:
It's the same here regarding a permit over 150 sq/ft but there is some sort of exemption for pre-built structures from what my neighbor told me about talking with the county building/zoning. He bought his from Capitol Sheds and they have quite a few locations from Warrenton to Richmond.

If you have the tools, stick building is usually cheaper but it takes longer, unless you have a barn raising party......Inmates will work for beer!
Yeah, I know we are zoned agricultural and have heard that is pretty easy as far as permitting goes. We close Monday so I'll get the scoop once we actually move in. I've got to have a shed though, my bikes are in other peoples garages right now which isn't cool. I like being able check on them whenever I want, plus just sitting on a bike for a minute or two before work makes the day better.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #56
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

There is a garage, correct?
Garages are for motorcycles......cars are enclosed and don't need garages.

If there is an HOA, check to see their requirements. They can often be more restrictive than what the county will allow.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #57
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Quote:
There is a garage, correct?
Garages are for motorcycles......cars are enclosed and don't need garages.

If there is an HOA, check to see their requirements. They can often be more restrictive than what the county will allow.
Nope, no garage. A garage was on my "must have" list since we moved from a 2 car garage and 12x20 shed. I was swayed by the rural atmosphere, NO HOA or covenants and 5 acres. . The llamas down the road were kind of a turn on also.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #58
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
NO HOA or covenants and 5 acres.
I'd go this route if it didn't cost a gazillion dollars......property in NOVA is crazy expensive unless you're way out there and then there's commuting issues with being way out.

At least my HOA isn't too crazy and the dues are reasonable.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #59
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Quote:
I'd go this route if it didn't cost a gazillion dollars......property in NOVA is crazy expensive unless you're way out there and then there's commuting issues with being way out.

At least my HOA isn't too crazy and the dues are reasonable.
Oh we did go that route, the house is only 2yrs old. I'll have an hr or more commute, which is almost anywhere in NOVA. I live in Fredburg now and it takes 1-1.5hrs to get to work, so it won't be much difference.

We close on the 1st so I'll get the ball rolling then. Worst case scenario is to buy a enclosed trailer, put it on jackstands and store my bikes and stuff in it.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #60
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
Saw a 6 leading a temperature in the 10 day forecast! Woo Hoo could it be the light at the end of the tunnel?
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote