ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #826
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
Thanks for noticing. When we doin' the next MGRE?
I put 6USMC6 in charge of the next one. Told him to post up and I would keep track of the "IN" list.
I'm going to be busy on the weekends for awhile so I'm "OUT".

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #827
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 6,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC3094 View Post
Enforcement along route 28 within Loudoun and Fairfax Counties has also stepped up this past week with additional presence from Fairfax, Loudoun and the State Police departments.

They like to hide in the darkened areas under the overpasses and most of the time go unnoticed until it's too late.
I run Rt. 28 between 66 and 267 every day going to work. My buddy told me a week ago he's seeing minivans, non-police issue sedans, etc. ticketing speeders on 28.

YMMV,
Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #828
Onyx B.
Pacific Coaster-east

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Try MFI (PW parkway http://motorcyclefactoryinc.com/Default.asp). Its a smaller shop so selection might not be huge, but they tend to have girl's gear.

Also, my wife works there, she's pretty up on the latest girly-gear. If they haven't got boots to suit in stock they'll be happy to order some.
+1 for MFI, nice folks and they have 20 -25% off sales several times a year.
Friendly little schnauzer too!

1990 PC800
Onyx B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #829
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
I got a new toy

Here's testing it out in the backyard after I brought it home. I need to find some bigger obstacles.

It'll do a wheelie too

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #830
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 858
about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
"targets aggressive and reckless driving; including speeding, texting while driving, following too closely, and failure to pay full time and attention on the Fairfax County Parkway"

I wish they'd enforce this on 66 and the beltway. I'm totally fed up w/the morons riding my ass, cutting me off, near misses and what you. It's unbelievable. It's not like I'm father time. I cook right along w/the flow usually. What absolutely amazes me is the 1 sec following distances the aggressive drivers maintain. They clearly must think they've spidey driving skills. The high rate of accidents however tell a different story -- distracted driving or not enough time/space to react.

I know 6 riders hit from behind in VA or DC last year. 2 of which were fatal. 1 I had witnessed on Rt. 7. The other my g/f knew personally. I'm all for the enforcement.
06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 01:34 PM
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #831
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
Looking for a good hole in the wall type joint to have lunch on Saturday in the Winchester/Stephen City Area. Some place that the locals go for some good eats and cold beer, but isn't a chain restaurant. Any ideas?

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #832
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Time to sign up! Wish I could go.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=767

BeeMaa, I can't think of any good restaurants in that area off the top of my head. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

I agree with you 100% allonsye. I HATE to drive on 66 at any time but especially during rush hour.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #833
MCdirtroadrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
restaurant

BeeMaa,

IF you like mexican, try El Ranchero on Pleasaant Valley Rd across from Apple Blossom Mall and Walmart. It may have a new name now but same restaurant. My wife and I ride over from Ashburn about once a week.

MC
MCdirtroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #834
MCdirtroadrider
Adventurer

Oil Drain Plug Stuck

Wondering if anyone has any ideas? I bought a 2008 Yamaha XT 250 for the wife. Tried to change the oil the other day and the drain plug is stuck. Previous owner tightened this thing about 10 times too tight. The bolt is a 12mm and very soft. Tried craftsman bolt/nut remover and basically rounded it out. I have also tried heat, chisel, breaker bar and blunt force to breaker bar. I'm thinking about JB welding the craftsman bolt remover onto drain plug but not sure if it will work. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #835
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCdirtroadrider View Post
Wondering if anyone has any ideas? I bought a 2008 Yamaha XT 250 for the wife. Tried to change the oil the other day and the drain plug is stuck. Previous owner tightened this thing about 10 times too tight. The bolt is a 12mm and very soft. Tried craftsman bolt/nut remover and basically rounded it out. I have also tried heat, chisel, breaker bar and blunt force to breaker bar. I'm thinking about JB welding the craftsman bolt remover onto drain plug but not sure if it will work. Any suggestions would be great.
Know someone with a welder?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #836
MCdirtroadrider
Adventurer

Oil Drain Plug

Also tried vise grips.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #837
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Quote:
BeeMaa,

IF you like mexican, try El Ranchero on Pleasaant Valley Rd across from Apple Blossom Mall and Walmart. It may have a new name now but same restaurant. My wife and I ride over from Ashburn about once a week.

MC
Thank MC, I'll ck it out.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #838
MCdirtroadrider
Adventurer

I actually have the perfect welder. The only problem is its still in GA.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #839
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Quote:
If you heated the metal up too much, it has become annealed (aka soft) and will be very hard to remove now. Easiest thing to do now is drill a hole in the very center of the plug. Then step up the size of the drill bit a little bit at a time to until you are close to the threads. Then use a chisel to knock out the rest of the plug. Chasing the hole with the correct tap will remove any burrs created by heating the metal. It's messy and time consuming, but it'll work.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #840
MCdirtroadrider
Adventurer

drian plug

BeeMaa,

I don't think I got it that hot. I used a heat gun on the crankcase only. My thought was to try and get crankcase to expand while bolt stayed cold. However, if I have to drill out bolt, do I need to worry aboout getting shavings inside?