ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #841
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
And then split the cases to get all the drill shavings out (actually they'd probably get stuck in the screen and or filter before causing much damage).

I'd still go at it from the outside a bit more I think. Careful with the heat. The cases on Yamahas are usually sealed with Yamabond rather than a normal gasket. I'd guess the glue isn't all that heat-proof.

I don't think a snap-on bolt remover would round out, but it might just chew up the head of the bolt some more :O

Maybe grind two of the flats down some until a 11mm open-end wrench is a real tight fit:O

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #842
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
If the case is made of aluminum and the plug is steel, there is a real potential that the case is deformed from the over toque applied. I would still center punch, drill and tap it out. You can stick a small piece of tubing attached to a shop vac to remove errant shavings from the inside. Or a small magnet on a string.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #843
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Last ditch effort without drilling...pipe wrench. And it won't slip on a round surface. The only problem I have with this is possibly causing damage to the casing. Whatever torque you are applying to the plug is also going to the casing, until it is freed up. If the plug is stronger than the casing, the casing will break first. Just don't want to see you damage more than just the plug.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #844
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
It's a common issue on the yz250. After trying everything I ended up grinding away the bolt head flange w/ a dremel, after that it came right out.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #845
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 704
Question Any X-Country riders around...?

Hey, does anyone have an 07 or 08 BMW X-Country? Can we meet up somewhere, even if only for a few minutes?

I have an 09, which came with a lower seat than the 07 and 08. I'd like a taller seat, and I've been told the seats from earlier years will fit. But I'm not so sure...

I ordered a new seat from Mortons BMW (Fredericksburg VA), and it came as the right one--part # ending in 6865--but definitely not fitting my bike. I have no idea what year bike they sent me a seat from. Or, for that matter, where they got it: they sent me a used seat (WTF?!?!) with stains all over it and the big white BMW sticker on the bottom scraped off. (This was after they charged my cc $17 more than the quoted price.) So that's on its way back, and the search continues. The problem is that I don't know for sure that a seat from an 07 or 08 will fit the 09. The seat I was sent was configured differently re: where the tabs slot into the frame brackets.

So I'm hoping to meet another XCo in the flesh and see whether your seat will fit my bike. Shouldn't take long. And hey, who knows, our bikes might become buddies.

Oh--and don't try to buy anything from Morton's, just sayin'.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #846
MCdirtroadrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
drain plug

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to try and battle this problem over the weekend.
MCdirtroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #847
pgboyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
NoVA Radiator Shops?

They seem to be kinda hard to find...Any recommendations? I need to get a radiator pressure tested and potentially fixed if they find the slow leaks I think are there.

Thanks
Phil
Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #848
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
There's (or at least used to be) a radiator shop at the end of Fullerton road in Springfield on the left side (as you are looking at rolling road). We used to use them for fixing up odd-ball cage radiators when I was an auto tech at a near-by shop.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #849
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin View Post
Hey, does anyone have an 07 or 08 BMW X-Country? Can we meet up somewhere, even if only for a few minutes?

I have an 09, which came with a lower seat than the 07 and 08. I'd like a taller seat, and I've been told the seats from earlier years will fit. But I'm not so sure...

I ordered a new seat from Mortons BMW (Fredericksburg VA), and it came as the right one--part # ending in 6865--but definitely not fitting my bike. I have no idea what year bike they sent me a seat from. Or, for that matter, where they got it: they sent me a used seat (WTF?!?!) with stains all over it and the big white BMW sticker on the bottom scraped off. (This was after they charged my cc $17 more than the quoted price.) So that's on its way back, and the search continues. The problem is that I don't know for sure that a seat from an 07 or 08 will fit the 09. The seat I was sent was configured differently re: where the tabs slot into the frame brackets.

So I'm hoping to meet another XCo in the flesh and see whether your seat will fit my bike. Shouldn't take long. And hey, who knows, our bikes might become buddies.

Oh--and don't try to buy anything from Morton's, just sayin'.

That does not sound like Morton's at all. Have you spoken to them about this?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #850
Fener6
The Container Man

Oddometer: 262
Looks good man and congrats.

After watching you adjust the valves on the crf, i have decied to tackle the beast that is my xrl

Getting the feeler gauges from my friend tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I got a new toy

Here's testing it out in the backyard after I brought it home. I need to find some bigger obstacles.

It'll do a wheelie too
Fener6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #851
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
If you need to rethread the drain hole, try a big tap. I was actually running a Honda Civic Drain Bolt in my Strom after finding the PO had overtorqued the plug and broke some threads off in the bike

A lot of beer was drank that night

Oh, btw, when heating the engine case to remove the drain bolt, which we had to do for the old CB200, the remaining oil in there was practically burnt and blackened the inside of the case from the high heat...
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #852
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
That does not sound like Morton's at all. Have you spoken to them about this?
Yep. Pat was apologetic, but I'm really not interested in doing business with them any more. (They also got my address wrong, resulting in a delayed delivery.) Maybe they have a new guy in Parts or something, idk, but all I want from them now is my money back when they get their crappy used seat.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #853
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Yep. Pat was apologetic, but I'm really not interested in doing business with them any more. (They also got my address wrong, resulting in a delayed delivery.) Maybe they have a new guy in Parts or something, idk, but all I want from them now is my money back when they get their crappy used seat.

I think anybody can screw up but I am sorry to see you are that disappointed in them. I suggest you try them again at another time. I doubt they would fuck up twice. (FWI, I don't have a BMW anymore so I rarely go down there except to say hello. They were always very good with me.)

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #854
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fener6 View Post
After watching you adjust the valves on the crf, i have decied to tackle the beast that is my xrl
Valve adjustment on a XRL is a piece of cake!

Quote:
I don't own a BMW but from what I've seen the few times I've been down there with my buddy while having his serviced I wouldn't give them any of my money if I did own one. They tend to be arrogant and talk down on you even when you are laying out huge amounts of cash...which is always the case if you are having any work done.
The last time my buddy had his bike serviced the mechanic didn't button it back up correctly and had pieces just about to fall off the first time he took it down the road. They didn't put the seat back on correctly and bent the attachment hooks, etc.

YEMV

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #855
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
They always treat me to drinks and give me a happy ending massage...
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote