Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Trail Dumpster OP
4.5 Years to Freedom

Oddometer: 152
Wr500zd or any other street legal two stroke thread.

Back in 1994 I got my first Dual Sport bike, a 1992 xt225 (Serow). I was fourteen and living in Alabama; although I loved my XT it was really just a commuter. I found quickly that I needed a bike geared a little more toward trail riding and the occasional jaunt on the street. My dad was riding a 1993 CR250 at the time, so I also wanted to keep up with him; I worked two extra summer jobs so I could pay of the XT and buy a better bike. Funny now that I think about it my XT only cost $2800 new because it was a leftover from the year before. After paying that bike off I bought a 1991 KDX 200. I outfitted it with a cheap mirror and an ATV brake light switch then plated it for the street. This bike turned out to be one of the best trail/street bikes I ever owned. I still kept the XT to ride to school but the KDX was my favorite. Fast forward 15 years and I had that two stroke hankering again. What was I going to build with my limited Military pay? With my mortgage and two kids I only ended up with $2000 to build a good trail bike that could haul my ass around and also be fun to drive.
I cruised the local classified to the point where I had every bike under $1500 memorized; sad. I finally found it a 1992 wr500zd for $800. The bike was in great shape, newer fender kit and just a little yellowing on the tank, oh yea and the sub frame was a little tweaked. Turns out the guy couldn’t start it because he’d been diagnosed with MS and it hurt him too much to start the big bore bike.
After I got the bike home I noticed that the forks didn’t feel quite right, I popped the caps and there was little fluid in the tubes. Turns out Four Seasons in SLC rebuilt them and did not put the bushings in properly, a set of $12 Tusk seals from and some MOTUL 5w RM ATV/MC and I was rocking. Next I got on procycle.us and bout a universal light kit with a regulator and a new H.O. lighting coil all for about $400. The lighting coil is listed under kx500 but works great in a wr500. I managed to mount everything pretty easy. Next I changed the front tire to a Dunlop Rally Raid under $50, the rear tire was already DOT spec. The hardest part of the whole thing was taking the flywheel off. Registration went pretty good, I told the lady at the DMV that I wanted to switch the title to a street legal dirtbike and got a safety inspection done. $75 dollars later I was set. The crazy thing about this bike is how good it runs up here at 5300ft, I read terrible things about pinging and melting pistons in these old air cooled motors; definitely not the case here. I have had it in traffic out on the Desert even on the Highway without fouling a plug or seizing the motor. Here are a few pic of the ride. I know this article is a bit long, just wanted to give some background to the madness. I feel bad for you 2 stroke nuts that can’t register your bikes street legal.

Trail Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,121
Pretty cool story. I am gonna do this with my KTM 250SX.

Utards!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,686
plated smokers aren't all that rare in Colorado

'94 440 EXC

'03 250 EXC

next in line

'98 380 EXC
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
MSH
The Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird

Is that your horn? The red thing on your handle bars that looks like its off a clown bike?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Is that your horn? The red thing on your handle bars that looks like its off a clown bike?
I bought the bike in Detroit and brought it back....that was on it - and yes, it's a squeeze bulb horn, completely legal if you can hear it 200 ft away.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
MSH
The Salt

Haha... I'm gonna try that!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Great info on the KX stator thanks for sharing

2T WR's are cool bikes a friend of mine has several 250s and a 500 as well. The WR500's and my 84 CR500 share the same horrible reputation but so far my friend and I have never had any major engine damage. The Eric Gorr head mod is said to eliminate the pinging and help save pistons so we are going to send both heads out this winter for the mod and I'll report back with the outcome if you're interested. They don't ping often but high elevation on tight single track or a hot day in the sand dunes makes them ping so bad its almost scary

Have fun and please report back with any mods you preform
Rot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Trail Dumpster OP
4.5 Years to Freedom

Oddometer: 152
My head work was done by Holley Racing out in Cali, 69cc combustion chamber gave the bike a bunch more useable power. I may be having a problem with my crank seals, will see soon.
1975 Honda XL175
1991 Klr 650.. 1994 FE501 Berg'
Trail Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote