User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 AM   #1
Screwdriver OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
XR650R help and advice...

Really sorry about this but I have a brand new (!) XR650R engine in a project bike.

In my defence, it will end up looking more like this:

Now while this might not be everyones cup of tea, it's still a dirt bike engine right? A really good one to boot and I'd like to keep it that way.

The first problem I have to address is oil routing and oil cooling. I want to fit a cooler because whoever fitted that tank to replace the oil in the frame allowed the oil return line to foul the radiator bracket. Easy fix and I thought I'd fit an oil cooler while I was at it.

Then it occurred to me I know bugger all about dry sump engines (this is my first) but surely, the oil reservoir needs to be higher than the top of the engine?? Currently, the oil reservoir is that alloy tank bolted on to the right. A thing of beauty but probably worse than useless...

Anyone know or can give me pointers to the correct information?

Screwd.
Screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 AM   #2
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
What happened to the Ape V60?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
Screwdriver OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
What happened to the Ape V60?
You may be confusing me with someone else, probably the previous owner!

I only just bought this.

S.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Firestone
RFVC Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
The Oil tank should be higher than the oil pump inlet. After that the oil pump does all the work.

You are going to have loads of torque on that machine!! It will never rev out like a street bike though..
Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Also looks like you will have to address the kick starter .
Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
I do believe that's an RS250 chassis.

You can mount the oil tank in the rear of the seat bodywork. The oil cooler would do well mounted on the fairing mount in front of and below the tach/speedo mount. It will take some careful plumbing but will work well.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
Screwdriver OP
n00b

Kickstarter is kind of OK.

It does stick out a bit but it will be flush with the fairing. I could heat and bend it but I would be worried about weakening it. Might try that with a cheapo spare item if there is such a thing.

If the oil tank is OK where it is, I'll probably leave it where it is.

So the oil cooler could just go inline with the pump output, before it goes into the reservoir? Do I need to be concerned about oil pressure with the additional load of the cooler? It will only be a small one but I figure it really ought to have one for track day use!

S.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
Cooling on the way to the tank after use is best. Scavenge side of the pump usually has 3-5 times the volume of output. When the change is on the scavenge side pressure is not affected.

Post a video of that beast being ridden please.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
As the owner off both a well modified XR650r and an RS250 with a tired engine I'd love to see some detail shots of the motor mounts and how the underside off he factory tank was modified to provide clearance or the carb. The Aprilia under engine frame rail has been deleted, so the motor has to hang from the main frame.... But from what?

It looks like the Aprilia radiator was used, which should be sufficient given the two motors similar power output, and I suspect it was necessary to space the countershaft sprocket out to clear the tire. Is the factory Aprilia dash still in play?
Tim McKittrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #10
Screwdriver OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
As the owner off both a well modified XR650r and an RS250 with a tired engine I'd love to see some detail shots of the motor mounts and how the underside off he factory tank was modified to provide clearance or the carb. The Aprilia under engine frame rail has been deleted, so the motor has to hang from the main frame.... But from what?

It looks like the Aprilia radiator was used, which should be sufficient given the two motors similar power output, and I suspect it was necessary to space the countershaft sprocket out to clear the tire. Is the factory Aprilia dash still in play?
Here you go:

There is a Y shaped trellis type bracket hanging from the front rail mountings and a large alloy plate at the rear for the rear mounts. It's not the OEM radiator sadly but an unknown flat rad. I have a spare RS rad so I might see how that fits because the one fitted does foul the forks slightly.

I havent checked the tank clearance yet so that's a very good point! Kickstarter is offset with a large chunk of steel and as yet, I haven't checked for any spacer in the 16T front sprocket. I will wan to fit a case saver because this engine is less than 1000 miles from new.

I will be fitting an RS125 dash when I sort out the electrics.

The one off MotoGP exhaust (!) is a thing of beauty.

Here it is being fired up for the first tie in a couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyP8z2DMCIw

If you're really keen, you could pop over to visit in W. London.

S.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #11
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Oh my Gosh! What have you done to the XRR

About oil reservoir
There used to be a TT600R - basically XT600 engine (also dry sump with oil in frame) in a more dirt worthy frame with better suspension. TT600R didn't have oil in the frame, instead it had it on it's left side under the seat, here, you can see the reservoir with a window to check oil level on this pic:

It worked quite well and had not much problems with oil cooling or it's location, so that's practical experience.

Now the theory:
There are 2 oil pumps. First one - bigger one - pumps the oil out of the engine sump into the oil reservoir (usually the frame), from there it just flows (not pumped) down to meet the second oil pump (smaller one, you can see it when you replace the oil filter) which pumps this oil up to the head and everywhere else where it needs to be. So basically while the reservoir is above the oil filter it's going to work just fine

You will need a big fan on a radiator for slower speeds though
Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 AM   #12
Screwdriver OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCVL View Post
You will need a big fan on a radiator for slower speeds though
Slower speeds? Not something I am very familiar with

Thanks for the info though.

S.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #13
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
I think you oil res is fine as it is above the pump.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
When I was road racing my XR650 with supermoto wheels on it I had trouble getting chain clearance with a 160 tire- the same size run on the back of the RS250. It looks like your countershaft isn't spaced, so I am wondering if your entire engine might be off center a little to the left.

A well tuned XR650 can easily make an honest 50hp, about the same total as a stock RS250- but it'll have about double the torque and should be a lot easier to ride. I would think your all up weight will be close to the same... My XR and RS are within a few pound of each other in stock form, and while I'm sure the XR mill is heavier you have lost some weight with the deletion of the airbox, electrics, one pipe, and such.

It's a cool project. Please keep posting!
Tim McKittrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 884
I would just fab a oil tank for under the seat area of the bike.. looks like you are a little tight up front.. it would be cool if you could route oil into the spars of the frame. hate to say this but ......maybe sourcing at oil tank from a Harley Davidson might work..

front radiator from the 700 honda quad? might fit across the front nicely?

wonder if the engine has been touched? be nice to take that head off and put 1 mm larger valves in (both intake and exhaust) and Hot Cams stage 2 would help that engine rev out well for the road racing..

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote