ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #61
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx
2008 with 38,000 miles and zero problems. Stock doohickey also, take that all of you asshole militant doohickitistas.
What kind of KLR owner are you if you don't follow the herd and add all the unnecessary farkles? I got banned on KLR.net for even questioning the wisdom of adding lots of crap. I'm sure most of the mechanical problems are self inflicted.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #62
kwisn
One Happy Dog
 
kwisn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Griffonderosa Dog Ranch
Oddometer: 8,420
My '06 had 2200 miles when I bought it in spring of '08. Was bone stock except for doohickey.
I've spent way more than I should have on farkles and it now has over 15K miles.
But now I hardly ride it since I bought a '84 KDX 200 last summer.
__________________
kwisn


I think you'd look like less of an ass if you'd shut the fuck up more often. Boondoggle
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #63
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl
 
kdxkawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn
My '06 had 2200 miles when I bought it in spring of '08. Was bone stock except for doohickey.
I've spent way more than I should have on farkles and it now has over 15K miles.
But now I hardly ride it since I bought a '84 KDX 200 last summer.
Those little KDXs are seductive, but you need to roll that '84 into a '86 2nd gen design. I've had several and still think the '86-'88 was the best handling of the breed, and it weren't no slouch if you kept it pinned.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #64
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt
What kind of KLR owner are you if you don't follow the herd and add all the unnecessary farkles? I got banned on KLR.net for even questioning the wisdom of adding lots of crap. I'm sure most of the mechanical problems are self inflicted.
What is your problem with people putting stuff on their bikes? You go from thread to thread and espouse the "yer a moron if you add this or that........." position, and it gets annoying. Everyone gets it. You're a maverick. You don't add things to your bike that you feel are unnecessary. And good for you for it. It's your bike, and I, for one, feel you should be able to do whatever you want with it, including just adding gas and riding it. What's it hurt if someone else wants to put something else on?
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #65
MotoBoss
Bad Influence
 
MotoBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Mid South Indiana
Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
What is your problem with people putting stuff on their bikes? You go from thread to thread and espouse the "yer a moron if you add this or that........." position, and it gets annoying. Everyone gets it. You're a maverick. You don't add things to your bike that you feel are unnecessary. And good for you for it. It's your bike, and I, for one, feel you should be able to do whatever you want with it, including just adding gas and riding it. What's it hurt if someone else wants to put something else on?

++1 I love to spend money on my ride(s) What the fork else do you work for? I do the things that make ME happy not someone else's theory of what I should do with my money or motorcycle and who gives a flying funk anyway You sure as hell are never going to get out the amount of miles designed in a bike if it's not comfortable for you to ride long distance........................just say'n...............................watch me do my thing..........
__________________
Adventure Before Dementia
MotoBossMotoBlog

Donate To ADV


MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #66
Nanuq OP
Aventurer by Trade
 
Nanuq's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss
++1 I love to spend money on my ride(s) What the fork else do you work for? I do the things that make ME happy not someone else's theory of what I should do with my money or motorcycle and who gives a flying funk anyway You sure as hell are never going to get out the amount of miles designed in a bike if it's not comfortable for you to ride long distance........................just say'n...............................watch me do my thing..........

I admit, I'm a bit of a gatchet whore. I like to see what I can build myself or modify. The winters are long and I get a little restless, so I tinker.
__________________
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #67
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
What is your problem with people putting stuff on their bikes? You go from thread to thread and espouse the "yer a moron if you add this or that........." position, and it gets annoying. Everyone gets it. You're a maverick. You don't add things to your bike that you feel are unnecessary. And good for you for it. It's your bike, and I, for one, feel you should be able to do whatever you want with it, including just adding gas and riding it. What's it hurt if someone else wants to put something else on?
I don't have any problem with people putting farkes on their bike, it helps the economy. What I don't like is people preaching you have to put certain farkles on your bike.

Newbies buy a bike and ask for advice and then others tell them they have to put on all of these farkles as if the bike will fall apart if they don't. There is a difference between putting a farkle on you bike and telling about it versus telling them they have to have that farkle, especially when the farkle does nothing but make someone feel better.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #68
ep!c
Pannier Manufacturer
 
ep!c's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Vernon Washington
Oddometer: 210
I put 15,000 on my 08', then traded in for a new v-strom wich I put 12,000 on, and now I'm back on an 09' KLR that already has 3,500. I should look into trading less and riding more....
ep!c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #69
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt
I don't have any problem with people putting farkes on their bike, it helps the economy. What I don't like is people preaching you have to put certain farkles on your bike.

Newbies buy a bike and ask for advice and then others tell them they have to put on all of these farkles as if the bike will fall apart if they don't. There is a difference between putting a farkle on you bike and telling about it versus telling them they have to have that farkle, especially when the farkle does nothing but make someone feel better.
Fair enough.

Personally, I try not to tell anyone that something is a must, but rather try to relate what I've done to my own bike. I've been the sheep a time or three on this thing and put stuff on that turned out to be mostly useless. Lessons learned.
You going to West Fest in Montana this year? If so, first beer's on me for my harsh tone in my previous post.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #70
MotoBoss
Bad Influence
 
MotoBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Mid South Indiana
Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
I admit, I'm a bit of a gatchet whore. I like to see what I can build myself or modify. The winters are long and I get a little restless, so I tinker.

I agree with ya Nanuq! I like to "tinker" and that's about as far as my skills will get me then something breaks and I start again .
Or I have to buy something else to replace the part I "tinkered up" . Ain't got many skills but me like's to farkel
__________________
Adventure Before Dementia
MotoBossMotoBlog

Donate To ADV


MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #71
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
balloonman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: CoMo
Oddometer: 231
Pissed 05 Klr 650

At 34,666 something went klunk bent the intake valves. Now I need a cheep complete used head.

The doo spring was broken and balance chain jumped a tooth. Not sure how many teeth the cam chain jumped. Exhaust left cam cap broke at the grove and was ground well. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #72
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl
 
kdxkawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonman
At 34,666 something went klunk bent the intake valves. Now I need a cheep complete used head.

The doo spring was broken and balance chain jumped a tooth. Not sure how many teeth the cam chain jumped. Exhaust left cam cap broke at the grove and was ground well. Captain Tom
I've seen people crack the left side cam caps by not getting them properly lined up with the ring on the camshaft that goes in that grove. I know because I did that and had to do a JB Weld repair. I suspect your doo spring gave out and some how got trapped in a way that caused the cam chain to jump when the balancer chain jumped, as the sprockets for both chains are side-by-side on the crankshaft. When the cam chain jumped this more than likely caused the intake valves to be opened when the piston came up.

Question would be how often did you do the balancer chain tension adjustment? If this adjustment is not done frequently the doohickey can be in the position that leaves the spring stretched, leading to premature failure.
__________________
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #73
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt
 
Bell47Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Sunnyside o the grass for now
Oddometer: 1,759
'05 - 20K
Bought it in Dec and put 2500 miles on it so far. Still getting used to how high I sit from the earth..........
__________________
Youth is wasted on the young!
"Pulling on that bike with all I have, I fear that I will pop a vein in my anus any second." by metaljockey 105
FYCYFF (ForkYouCancerYouForkingFork)
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #74
Nanuq OP
Aventurer by Trade
 
Nanuq's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
I've seen people crack the left side cam caps by not getting them properly lined up with the ring on the camshaft that goes in that grove. I know because I did that and had to do a JB Weld repair. I suspect your doo spring gave out and some how got trapped in a way that caused the cam chain to jump when the balancer chain jumped, as the sprockets for both chains are side-by-side on the crankshaft. When the cam chain jumped this more than likely caused the intake valves to be opened when the piston came up.

Question would be how often did you do the balancer chain tension adjustment? If this adjustment is not done frequently the doohickey can be in the position that leaves the spring stretched, leading to premature failure.
:
__________________
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #75
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
Fair enough.

Personally, I try not to tell anyone that something is a must, but rather try to relate what I've done to my own bike. I've been the sheep a time or three on this thing and put stuff on that turned out to be mostly useless. Lessons learned.
You going to West Fest in Montana this year? If so, first beer's on me for my harsh tone in my previous post.
I'd like to go just to get a beer from you. I'm getting back from a 2 week trip 2 days before West Fest and I don't think I'd have time to get ready for another week. I'm still thinking about it and the logistics. You just sweetened the pot with the beer offer.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014