User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Lil' Irv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Gobi latch repair

On my ride out to the Big Cat this year I managed to dump the big GO!!! bike on a trail through the Black Hills. It was just a 10mph crash but it was enough to break the latch holding the Gobi bag to the rack. There was enough of the latch left that along with liberal amounts of duck tape applied it held on until I could find some big zip ties. Four or five big 1/4 x 15" zip ties did the job of securing the bag for the rest of the trip. These big zip ties are now a part of my regular kit.

Ouch!

When I got back a replacement latch was ordered from Touratech for about $48. The new latch was identical to the original except for being black not grey and the mounting holes were smaller than the original. It was a simple matter to drill out the mounting holes to match the original. It also meant getting the proper size pop rivets to fit the larger holes.

Replacing the latch was pretty straightforward but I didn't like the fact that the new latch was keyed differently from the others on the bike. What a pain in the ass to have to carry two sets of keys! I couldn't simply swap the lock cylinders since the little tab that engages the latch was broken off of the original. After some head-scratching I decided to try re-keying the lock.
The first step is to remove the lock cylinder from the latch assembly. With a pick or small screwdriver push the spring loaded tab into the cylinder releasing it from the latch.

Here are the two lock cylinders, old on the left. Note the broken catch on the old one. This is the part that engages the latch preventing the handle from opening when locked.

Now, using a small screwdriver, carefully pull the lock pins out of the cylinder one by one. The little bump on the left side of the lock pin fits into a detent in the cylinder so some (slight) force is needed. Keep an eye on the springs as the have a nasty habit of popping out and dissapearing. As you remove the pins lay them out in the EXACT order that they go in the cylinder.

Now you want to put the lock pins from the old lock and install them in the new lock. One by one insert the old pins in the new lock cylinder making sure they are in the exact same order that they came out of the old one. Make sure the spring is in the right place and push the pin in until it pops into the detent. When you are all done put the key into the cylinder. It should look like this:

With the key in the lock all the pins should be flush with the cylinder with the exception of the very last pin which is the retainer that holds the cylinder into the latch.
If it looks like this, with the pins all uneven, do not pass go, do not collect your $200:

All that's left is to slide the cylinder into the latch, check to make sure the key works, hang the bag on the bike and HIT THE ROAD, GO ON A TRIP, RIDE THAT THING!
It's really pretty simple and a whole lot better than carrying two sets of keys for your bags.

Lil' Irv screwed with this post 08-23-2009 at 08:10 AM
Lil' Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429
Thumb

Wow nice job man Now get off the speed, and get some sleep. Tweaker.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 568
Great story. I probably would have done the same. Two keys suck.

BTW: out of a bike shop that went belly up I once bought a top case without keys. I opened the case from the hinges side to get the lock cilinder out.

Made a couple of phone calls and I found out it's possible to make a new key for a cilinder you have in your hand. Cost me 6 bucks...

This to illustrate that you shouldn't trash things too soon...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,682
great post.. glad I found this.. this one should be placed in the index!
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 752
Eh? Just Try Another Key

I've replaced a latch and have the Gobi top case, so in theory need three different keys However, two of the three keys will open all three locks
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Gobi bag security

I have gone down to the local Harley shop. They have ratchet type tie downs that fit perfectly around the Gobi bags. They keep the bags from rattling on rough trails and hold the bags on if the latch breaks. Also the price is right (free) since they have tons of them from shipping the bikes from the factory!

jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429
I have the old 04 boxes, I replaced the latches may of 07. The old keys worked in the new latches.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
I ripped off both the latches on mine a while ago. Rather than pay out for another set which would just get broken again I made up some securing plates from some 1/4" thick aluminium.
These latches are definately a major weakness on all H&B panniers - they're just not up to the job.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,682
well.. I dunno that it's not such a bad design to be honest. When I popped my last one, I was riding at a pretty good pace on a fun section of trail up in the mountains, when I came up a small rise, and just to the side of the trail, was a rather large downed fir tree with the tip of the tree just a few feet off the ground and pointing right at the right side bag. I saw it, but just not enough time to brake or swerve.

I Probably hit it at a good 25-30mph. It hit almost dead on where the the water tap spot is and all it did (besides busting the latch) was poke the plate out that covers the hole for the water tap. I hardly felt it. Had it been a more securely mounted pannier, I am most positive I would have taken quite a wipeout and at that particular point on the trail, there was a several hundred foot steep hillside that would not have been fun to ride down.

So in my case, I was glad to pay $45 for a new latch.
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
This is a super thread. Thanks lil Irv for posting the procedures for the lock R&R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelgee
I ripped off both the latches on mine a while ago. Rather than pay out for another set which would just get broken again I made up some securing plates from some 1/4" thick aluminium.
These latches are definately a major weakness on all H&B panniers - they're just not up to the job.
Diggity, mate........any pics?

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,367
Thanks!!!!

ORANGE CRUSH ROCKS!

(I had the same problem and just not enough time to mess with it right now)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,660
Gobi Latches!

Yea. Thanks. Good informative post.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
scottyb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Wicked

When my latch broke I told the guy at Eurosport the key number for the new one. seems easier.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
well.. I dunno that it's not such a bad design to be honest.
I agree! In the last 10 months I have hit two deer, both on the right side. I was able to stay up both times. The lock broke, allowing the bag to break free. This may well be the reason I was able to stay up. Also, the fuel tank flexed absorbing some of the first impact.
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e

Critic screwed with this post 07-14-2008 at 06:34 PM
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Just bought a set of saddlebags and top bag. Of course the top keys differ from the saddlebags.

Is there some way to order the pins so that I can re-key everything to one key?

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote