User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Tarka OP
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
My latest snowy Ural 'Brekky Ride'

(Hope the Mods will allow this here as well as Ride Reports so the 'Hackers' won`t miss it)

Hiya Miggins.....this is what you missed....

Sunday 21st February 2010.

I`d spent most of the previous week on 6pm-6am night shifts,combined with working at Glambabe`s house in my time off,wrestling with a flat-pack kitchen installation job.

If not quite feeling 'The Need For Speed',I was certainly feeling the need for a bike ride and plenty of fresh air to make a change from plaster dust and the odour of jigsawed MDF...so was Glambabe...so we`d agreed to get out early Sunday morning for a 'Brekky Run' to the Ponderosa Cafe atop the Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen.
This is a regular morning run,some say a bit cheesy,but it`s a nice ride with pleasant scenery...and nice food,so what more do you need?

I awoke Sunday morning and did my traditional check out of my South Westerly facing rear bedroom 'Weather Window' as it faces the direction I`m often going to be riding (it once seemed odd that I`m mostly riding to the South West but that`s my way into Wonderful Wales,look you here boyo).
WOWEE !! Total whiteout !! Thick and heavy snowfall !!

Ural Playtime Again !!!

Cue a quick shower and an even quicker cup of coffee....then don my Goretex gear and wheel out...you guessed it,my fave Ural 650 combo 'Skaya'.
Seeing her covered in snow like this just gets me like a kid in a toyshop and I can`t wait to get out there and have some fun.

Many an 'Adventure Bike' no doubt sat indoors while Skaya was ready to play.

I brushed the snow off and she leaped into life.....and romped round to Glambabe`s while some of the cars were already starting to slither and slide,or crawl along at no more than 20mph.:
From Glambabe`s I took the scenic route across the Wirral,going through Willaston and onto the Chester High Road before making into Wales.
I never tire of this first part of any journey,as it is so pleasant,and today it was even more so,and despite the lure of a cooked brekky,I had to stop for a few photos.....

My friend Zebb always recommends looking behind at where you`ve ridden through when taking photos,and it seems good advice,as when you`re heading towards the Sun your photos can be dark or silhouetted,while behind you gets better light...

No...not a photograph of an impending collision and doom in the trees ahead, but just another 'breakfast delaying' photo while I`m enjoying the snow.
Told you I was a kid in a toyshop,didn`t I ??

Onwards into Wales and through Hawarden before picking up the road to Corwen which we`re heading for.
This monument has always been eye catching to me and I couldn`t resist doing a quick 360 degree spin on Skaya to get a photograph while the snow was still there....despite the muttered oaths from Glambabe who was more than 'slightly ready' to eat her breakfast.

Okay..okay...we`re on our way again...it`s not very far anyway...it won`t be long before we`re there.
Ooooh...but look at the snow in the trees....what an ace photo that`d make.

Yeah..yeah..it`s the last photo until after brekky...honestly.....soon be there.
The hunger pangs and stomach growls from the sidecar could now be heard over Skaya`s timing gears and alternator howl so it was probably prudent to 'press on' to the Ponda.

And soon enough,here we are !!
Naturally,it`s time for another photo.......

Glambabe gazes across towards the Ponderosa...
Hoping above hope that it is actually open and ready to serve our brekky.
I was kinda hoping so too........

So,fully fed and laced with the Ponda`s nice black coffee and hot chocolate, we decided to bimble down the Horseshoe Pass into Llangollen.
But first....how about a photo or two.........

Glambabe does her finest 'Scott of the Antarctic' pose.
We`re on a Ural so we.... 'May be some time'....:

Skaya awaits us.....ready to play again......

All aboard....and we`re ready for the off too.
A quick pause while a kindly passer by offers to take our photo for us.

Scooting down the Horseshoe Pass and towards Llangollen,I remembered a nice little photo spot I found last Summer when out on my Enfield.
I thought it`d make a nice contrast to have a snowy one next to the sunny one from last year.

It`s a lovely peaceful little spot just near to the Motor Museum.
Ducks come paddling over towards you and it`s nice and still and quiet.
I think some folk thought we`d stolen an exhibit from the Museum.

We spent a nice couple of hours browsing the shops in Llangollen including the freshly renovated 'Bookshop Cafe' where you can lose all sense of time and come out straining under a mountain of second hand books,all at very good prices.
Then it was back up the Horseshoe and head for home in lovely sunny conditions.
There was so much salt on the roads and so much spray that Skaya was a 'tad dirty' when we got back ....

I`d never recommend using a JetWash on any bike..least of all a Ural which can suffer from water in the floatbowls..but the last time I 'manually' washed a Ural in this condition it took six buckets of water and over an hour and a half...and it still wasn`t fully clean afterwards.
So,I invested 3 in a hot shampoo/hot soapy brush/fresh rinse....sounds like a hairdresser I used to know

The great thing about the 'hot soapy brush' part of the JetWash was that I could hose the front of my bike gear and get Glambabe to brush and rinse all the salt and road filth off me.

JetWashing complete.....time for a quick brake check and a liberal application of Tarka`s 'Magic Spray' all over Skaya,especially HT leads and plug caps.

Choke on...fired up first time.

Homewards bound.

Well....back to Glambabe`s to continue with the kitchen assembly....

Hope you enjoyed.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......

Tarka screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 08:03 PM Reason: Shortened title
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
Hurrah! Ural snow fun!

The weather just sucks in my of the woods...it's warm and dry. I've even seen Ducatis out and about.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,674
What's all that white stuff? Our dust is all red, or brown, or black or something like that!

Sidecaring in snow is on the bucket list. Might have to travel overseas to have a go. That'd be hard to take!

Enjoyed your ride. Can you edit the story & add in the summer/Enfield photo, please. Reckon more than me would like to see what you've seen.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,203
Tarka -

Another great Ride Report! Congrats to you and GlamBabe on a great outing!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
miggins11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Whimped out - me?

It's a fair cop! It looked bloody horrible at 0800hrs when I got up - Julie just turned over and went back to sleep! I was sick as a pig later when the roads cleared. Always next time. By the way - how big is that kitchen you are fitting? Must be about six months now you've been at it!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Tarka OP
Doesn't wave back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
Enjoyed your ride. Can you edit the story & add in the summer/Enfield photo, please. Reckon more than me would like to see what you've seen.

Thanks for that.....and thanks to everyone else,too.

Here`s my Royal Enfield 500 Woodsman in the same spot last year.

And here`s a linky to a rather pleasant ride I did on the Enfield around part of North Wales.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...h+wales+bullet

I`ve done a few modifications to the bike since then.
I`ve fitted a 'Classic' chrome tank...trials tyres...alloy trials front mudguard..tiny indicators...leather tool roll...old style STOP tail lamp,etc.

It`s a lovely bike even just to look at,but riding it is sheer self indulgent pleasure!

Tarka screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 04:28 AM
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Bad Name

It's guys like Tarka who give motorcycling a bad name. Going out when the roads aren't dry, not wearing a hi viz thingymajjig, devoid of a racer replica helmet, and worse of all, no knee sliders. What is it coming to ???

Not only a ride out, but the time to produce this report. Thanks.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
miggins11
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecarjohn
It's guys like Tarka who give motorcycling a bad name. Going out when the roads aren't dry, not wearing a hi viz thingymajjig, devoid of a racer replica helmet, and worse of all, no knee sliders. What is it coming to ???

Not only a ride out, but the time to produce this report. Thanks.
You ain't met him have you John? Thought not - AND he has a ghost writer!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
MMC
The Burgermeister

Oddometer: 126
Top report Tarkski.

Looking forward to getting out and forming a Ural convoy again. No snow down here in Oxfordshire though... Rubbish.
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #10
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka
Thanks for that.....and thanks to everyone else,too.

Here`s my Royal Enfield 500 Woodsman in the same spot last year.

Fairly decent contrast in seasons, you've got. Like the Enfield too. Lovely. We don't get the 'Woodsman' over here. Subtle differences to the Classic seem to work well.
I did read the other report. I don't imagine you'd choose to wear the fanged scarf if you knew it was going to be wet, misty and cool. Best laid plans of mice.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
Tarka OP
Doesn't wave back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
. I don't imagine you'd choose to wear the fanged scarf if you knew it was going to be wet, misty and cool. Best laid plans of mice.
Hiya mate...thanks for the reply.

Quite the converse,the 'fanged scarf' is actually a neoprene mask and is mostly waterproof and breathable too.
I wear it (and a couple of other designs) all year with an open faced helmet and find it better than any full faced helmet...warmer,snugger,no draughts and doesn`t give me a misting up visor.

It`s called a 'Bandero' and there should be weblinks about them if you`re interested...there are many designs,including plain colours.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by miggins11
You ain't met him have you John? Thought not - AND he has a ghost writer!
So, some mystery here. Is this Tarka guy all he seems, or is he simply a cyber character, an avatar, a mere figment of someone else's vivid imagination. I will reserve further judgement, until our paths cross.

Oh, and whilst mentioning paths crossing, will you be at the Easter Egg rally, Chris ? There will be plenty around to give you a push start..........

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Tarka OP
Doesn't wave back.

Quote:
So, some mystery here. Is this Tarka guy all he seems, or is he simply a cyber character, an avatar, a mere figment of someone else's vivid imagination. I will reserve further judgement, until our paths cross.

Oh, and whilst mentioning paths crossing, will you be at the Easter Egg rally, Chris ? There will be plenty around to give you a push start..........

Oh I exist in the flesh,alright.

And...if you`re talking about the Wirral Egg Run....you may have actually seen me for yourself...without realising it.
Because for the last two years I`ve been the Egg Run mascot riding my 'posh' 750 Ural right at the front of the run.....

[IMG][/QUOTE][/IMG]

Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
MMC
The Burgermeister

Oddometer: 126
I can vouch for Tark's existence in the flesh. Not only was he down here in the Cotswolds a couple of weeks ago teaching me to ride my new 650, here he is seeing how far he can get the chair in the air:

MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
miggins11
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Tarka exists! You and him would get along quite well John! He is daft also!

I shall be at the Easter Egg and as you are a pensioner I would not dream of asking you to push my bike!

I shall take an extra battery!