ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #151
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
k. here are a few pics of my new paint.... and new decals too! will have my site updated soon with the new ones.

cheers,
Mark





__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #152
toowheels
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
k. here are a few pics of my new paint.... and new decals too! will have my site updated soon with the new ones.

cheers,
Mark





Lookin good Mark!!

Quite different.

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #153
toowheels
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 935
I'll have to take a closer look at those decals.

Now that you've done it I'm thinking about a re-paint too.

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #154
giodog2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal , Quebec
Oddometer: 245
Very nice Mark.
__________________
First one out..last one in.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #155
pgh
Adventurer
 
pgh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
I'm sure there's tons of varied opinions but my method seems to work just fine..

1. I sand the existing panels to get any gloss coating and scuffs off. and to add a bit of tooth to the surface. My final sand is with 220 grit.

2. I then use 'scratch filler' primer. 2 coats with a sanding with wet dry 800 grit in-between.

3. then i apply my 'dupli-color' spray paint. about 5 coats with around 20 or so minutes between coats. (thin coats each time). checking for any dust or hair in-between coats.

4. around 3 layers of clear coat.

5. then a couple of go's at it with some wax and you're good to go.

that's my technique anyway.

Mark
Thinking of giving this a try starting with panels on the gas tank. I figure they're the cheapest should I F things up. What's the best/easiest was to get the original decals off?
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #156
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
Thinking of giving this a try starting with panels on the gas tank. I figure they're the cheapest should I F things up. What's the best/easiest was to get the original decals off?
Steam is the best way. After you get your panels off just hold them over a boiling kettle for 30 seconds or so. then you don't have to deal with lots of sticky residue left by just trying to peel them off.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #157
pgh
Adventurer
 
pgh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
Steam is the best way. After you get your panels off just hold them over a boiling kettle for 30 seconds or so. then you don't have to deal with lots of sticky residue left by just trying to peel them off.
Thanks. BTW bike looks great.
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #158
GS-JENNY
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 4
Help!!!

Hello everyone!

Just purchased a standard 09' F650GS and have been silently trolling this thread, love the tips and photos, all your bikes looks great!

Plan to get mine done soon!

Since there are a lot of knowledgeable ppl here I'd ask this question :

What are the cheapest BMW parts website out there for these F800GS modification parts?!

My dealer is currently doing a price matching promotion for all websites globally (I'm in Australia) !! thanks!!!!!
GS-JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #159
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
I get my factory parts from either Max BMW in New York or online from Bikebandit.com.

You might get smoked with shipping being in Oz. Hopefully you'll get other tips from inmates closer to you.

Good luck,
Mark
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #160
giodog2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal , Quebec
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-JENNY View Post
Hello everyone!

Just purchased a standard 09' F650GS and have been silently trolling this thread, love the tips and photos, all your bikes looks great!

Plan to get mine done soon!

Since there are a lot of knowledgeable ppl here I'd ask this question :

What are the cheapest BMW parts website out there for these F800GS modification parts?!

My dealer is currently doing a price matching promotion for all websites globally (I'm in Australia) !! thanks!!!!!

Hi Jenny and welcome.
Congrats on the buy , I'm sure you will love the bike. I had a blast with mine but sold it last year.
If you are looking to make the panel mod, I think we all bought used 800 panels and had them painted. Some bought panels from totalled 800, as for me I bought it from an inmate that made the tank conversion. I wouldn't suggest you buy the panels from the dealer as they are ridiculously over priced. Look on e-bay and in forums like this. Be patient and you will find some.
As for other parts, like I said , I sold mine last year so I haven't kept up to date with the best places to buy but I'm sure someone here will answer that.
Have fun with the GS and mod on.....
__________________
First one out..last one in.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W

giodog2000 screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 07:48 PM
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #161
GS-JENNY
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 4
Thank you ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
I get my factory parts from either Max BMW in New York or online from Bikebandit.com.

You might get smoked with shipping being in Oz. Hopefully you'll get other tips from inmates closer to you.

Good luck,
Mark
Thanks mate, both website has been very helpful. Consequently my dealer were able to match the online price, which means I saved about $300 AUD for each panel (they are retailed in oz about $700 each!).

I have decided to go with the 2012 F800GS Trophy look (46637728131 & 46637728132), hopefully it will be the same fit as the standard 800GS

Will keep this post up when I get my bike beautified!
GS-JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #162
GS-JENNY
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 4
Thank you ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
Hi Jenny and welcome.
Congrats on the buy , I'm sure you will love the bike. I had a blast with mine but sold it last year.
If you are looking to make the panel mod, I think we all bought used 800 panels and had them painted. Some bought panels from totalled 800, as for me I bought it from an inmate that made the tank conversion. I wouldn't suggest you buy the panels from the dealer as they are ridiculously over priced. Look on e-bay and in forums like this. Be patient and you will find some.
As for other parts, like I said , I sold mine last year so I haven't kept up to date with the best places to buy but I'm sure someone here will answer that.
Have fun with the GS and mod on.....
thanks Giodog!
GS-JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #163
GS-JENNY
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 4
No more ugly factory stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
Steam is the best way. After you get your panels off just hold them over a boiling kettle for 30 seconds or so. then you don't have to deal with lots of sticky residue left by just trying to peel them off.
I did what you said and it works really well! that F650GS factory sticker is just about the ugliest sticker I have seen in my life..
GS-JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014