User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
DNCN OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
V-Strom Givi Crashbar Bags

I have the Givi Crash bars on my DL1000 and I would like to put some bags on them. Any suggestions as to which bags will attach and work well. I have only seen a few bikes in the V-Strom picture thread with them on.
DNCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,150
I purchased a large set of tank panniers from Aerostich to mount to my DL1000K4, which is fitted with Givi crashbars. They're still sitting in the shipping box, no amount of adjusting would leave me satisfied, (except removing the mounting straps altogether and mounting them directly to the crashbars etc.), with how they worked in conjunction with the Givi bars.

I'm not in a big hurry to address this issue, but my future considerations will most likely involve fully waterproof bags, mounted directly to the bars. I'll do my homework through VSRI and Stromtroopers for feedback. If you find a reasonable solution, please post on this thread and let us know.

I've got to experiment with transferring some weight forward, my 41 litre Zegas and my "bring everything mentality", has never worked out with my rushed to production, budget adv tourer.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNCN
I have the Givi Crash bars on my DL1000 and I would like to put some bags on them. Any suggestions as to which bags will attach and work well. I have only seen a few bikes in the V-Strom picture thread with them on.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Thumb Maybe this will help ....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422065
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
YruiY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Just make your own

A cheap ATV side bag with a small recycling plastic pail inside to keep it's shape cost me all of $30. I drilled two holes on the engine guards to fasten it and you have the added benefit of the water bottle holders on the side. Done.

08 Ural Gear Up-Sold
09 Ultra Classic-Sold
YruiY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Wolfman Luggage makes two versions of tank panniers--a regular version and their waterproof Expedition version.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
I can't help but wonder how much stuff you blokes want to carry?
And what the hell it is that takes up so much space.
I understand the weight distribution angle, but surely you can carry enough for a looooong trip in a tank bag, rear panniers and a rear top bag of some sort.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,150
Wink Yeah well, we all know they run on rails, don't they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
I understand the weight distribution angle, but surely you can carry enough for a looooong trip in a tank bag, rear panniers and a rear top bag of some sort.
Although rarely acknowledged by the koolaid brigade, speaking about the Vee and running solo heavily loaded with Zegas, Bags Connection GS tankbag etc., between the poor oem stock weight distribution and fairing design, whose closest exposure to a wind tunnel would have been clay mock ups in the design studio, combined with the common aftermarket windshield additions, Suzuki's first generation adv tourer unloads the front end as speeds increase. The fairing design (or lack of it), creates an updraft rather than the preferred opposite effect, of a downdraft to load the front end as speeds increase, probably the single biggest reason 5th and 6th gears were restricted on the Vee since day one.

Think that the endlessly criticized protruding "beak" on the Multistrada 1200 series, functions solely as an air intake for the fueling, oil cooler/radiator, not bloody likely ! With WSBK and MotoGP lineage and the lure of easy money with a well developed product in the road biased adv tourer market, wind tunnel/17" front wheel design efforts will probably result in for Ducati, what I naively had hoped to achieve with my DL1000K4, a stable loaded adv tourer.

Suzuki was so fearful of yet another financial marketing failure (think TLS/TLR), that the budget constraints with the German prompted DL project, resulted in the many rather understandable weaknesses of the Vstrom series... If it hadn't been for the success of the lighter DL650's introduction, we probably wouldn't have to have worried about, what I'm sure will be a far better designed and funded replacement, somewhere down the road.

So for myself and my K4 Vee, I can't afford to walk away from my tweaked and "farkled" money pit and will probably invest another couple of hundred bucks in some really good quality kit to afix to the Givi bars, not to carry more, but to redistribute weight forward to load the front end.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
MonkeyC
DRZ400XT225XT250

Oddometer: 61
DL1000 Hepko & Becker Crashbar Bags

This is what I did: Took our Ortlieb saddlebags and rigged them up the to our Hepko & Becker crashbars. Worked well. You might think it reduced cornering clearance, but, riding 2up touring, I'm not riding tooooo spirited. So much capacity, low down weight and forward, countering the added cargo weight at the rear. Added plus: excellent foot protection from the elements.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55516669@N00/4397508418/

c
Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
MonkeyC
DRZ400XT225XT250

Oddometer: 61
KLR650 too

We also did Alaska on our KLR650, and the same Orts were draped over the tank, synched down to the aluminum skidplate. Man that bike took care of us!

Tony, totally understand where your coming from. But riding 2up, multiweek camping and touring, the stuff adds up. I did like having a smaller duffle on the rear to reduce the weight high up.

c
Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyC
Tony, totally understand where your coming from. But riding 2up, multiweek camping and touring, the stuff adds up. I did like having a smaller duffle on the rear to reduce the weight high up.

c
Point taken.
I've never travelled two-up, and have (nearly) always only carried stuff that will keep me alive and/or keep me mobile.I imagine 2 sleeping bags, or one big one takes up a hell of a lot more room than my little single one.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
TonyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
This could get confusing, mate.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT
This could get confusing, mate.
Cheers,
Tony
You must be the evil TonyT cos I'm the good one.............
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
TonyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
You must be the evil TonyT cos I'm the good one.............
That's impossible - I'm from Canada.

We now return this thread to its owners.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #15
Mungo
Monarch 53

Oddometer: 349
I just went down to my local Aussie Disposal Store, (Army Surplus) and bought 2 black backpacks. $10 each. The bottom straps were just tied on to the Givi bars. The top (shoulder) straps didn't quite work in the way that I wanted them to. So I cut them off, and ran a piece of black webbing through the loop on the top of each bag. This runs over the top of the tank and secures the bags just fine. The pic below is not a great shot of the bags, but they did not move when the strom took a nap, and it illustrates their secondary use as airbags.