Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Fireman1000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Rode a Street Glide this weekend...............

...................and Loved It!!!! My wife and I met some friends for dinner Friday. My friend bleeds Ducati red, but his uncle gave him a 2008 Street Glide because his health doesn't allow him to ride anymore. After dinner, my friend offered to let us ride the Harley. We took off on the outskirts of town. The air was warm, the stars were out, and my wife and I just kicked back, listened to the music, and enjoyed the ride. It was one of those "Wow, I'm Alive" moments. Just goes to show you, motorcycles can open up a whole new world for you.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,228
Most people who ride the Harley Touring bikes are pleasantly surprised. I know I was.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
.....I was surprised enough to buy one last week.....

dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,820
Thumb

HD's best bike IMO...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 331
I had a test ride on one last week, and I liked the extra grunt of the 2014 spec engines, the gearbox has improved and the clutch is smoother, front forks are a big improvement but personally, I don't like the amount of daylight the batwing blocks out. Normal riding it doesn't matter, but lane splitting - you really need to see the potholes...
I always wear earplugs so the radio is just a extra I don't need, and reduced suspension at the back is not welcome. I don't buy into the spaniel dragging it's arse across the carpet look. I want compliant suspension
Next test will be an Indian Chieftain (already tried the Chief Vintage) to see how I like their fairing and the stage one pipes - the euro spec standard pipes are whisper quiet.
Got back on my Road King and was comfy and happy. I hope the 2015 Kings have the hydraulic clutch, because next year is when I'm buying.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
Woodcock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
My brother just bought a new street glide, he has trouble keeping up with my rt a goldwing and a vstrom
Woodcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock View Post
My brother just bought a new street glide, he has trouble keeping up with my rt a goldwing and a vstrom
Hopefully, your brother is not surprised by that...
Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 710
Woodcock,

I have a RT too and I would think given a more technical roadway the rt and vstrom with the same rider would easily outpace the GW and HD as the platforms are so different/limited and after that it is more subjective for a Harley or GW touring platform. I like the Honda, but my wife hates the Tupperware look and is drawn to the "classic" looks of a HD, Triumph, BMW R (the rt pushes it, she much preferred my roadster), etc.

You should ride his Harley, the new bikes are much more competent than most of it's owners evidently care to learn and enjoy based on my experience/observations. Not sure what your brother came off of so I'd give him a few miles on her as it is a big heavy bike and softly sprung, but the chassis and brakes offer consistency and stability that once your brain gets calibrated to can be a much faster and smoother ride than you may think.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
It's not the bike's fault.

Unless y'all are drag racing, and then every one of you made the wrong choice.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett View Post
.... and reduced suspension at the back is not welcome. I don't buy into the spaniel dragging it's arse across the carpet look. I want compliant suspension....

Ah come-on get with it!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
A lot of folks have made the same discovery. There's a reason the Street Glide is the number one selling model of motorcycle in the United States.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,228
Quote:

Where does he have trouble keeping up?
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 262
I think the Street Glide is the best looking bike H-D makes (which explains partly why it's their best seller). I rented one a few years ago when I was bikeless, and my wife and I really liked it, turns nice, easy to ride for a big bike. My only quibble with it is the short rear suspension travel, I think the Road King has an extra inch or so. I'm guessing a shock swap could fix that.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:

I assume of you mean in a straight line the VStrom was a 1000 and not a 6500.

Dude, the Street Glide is about long range comfort and style. its not in any way shape or form a sport bike or drag bike. It weighs in at over 800lbs for frak sake. The GoldWing is a similar bike on paper but does have a better lean angle and is powered by what might as well be a car engine. Hell, it has reverse. My Vaquero is basically a Kawi merging the Street Glide and Road Glide. It actually makes the Street glide look small too but I still can't fathom riding something as big as a GoldWing. I would also not try to race one either, straight line or twisty road.
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Fireman1000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
The whole experience was different for me. What I took from the ride had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with just enjoying the moment. No, the Harley is not a sportbike. No it's not nearly as nimble as my 800XC. It was a wonderful hour riding on a nice night with my wife, on a bike unlike anything I've ridden. I can see how that can appeal to many people. Someday I think I will have one in my garage.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote