Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
Anybody here have any time on a 950 SM and one of these? Can you compare suspension between the two? I loved my SM, but the horrible suspension was eventually a deal breaker for me. I'm hoping KTM and/or WP did a better job valving this one for the real world.
As you would know there is a lot of factors involved in getting bike suspension to work for you personally, I had a 06 950 SM for nearly 4 years & had it pretty well worked out for my weight & riding style, Then I got the SMT & it really does handle better than the SM for me just after putting a few turns into the spring pre-load.
Get on one for a decent test ride & I think you will like it.

-GUV-
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
Quote:
Anybody here have any time on a 950 SM and one of these? Can you compare suspension between the two? I loved my SM, but the horrible suspension was eventually a deal breaker for me. I'm hoping KTM and/or WP did a better job valving this one for the real world.
The basic components are of fine quality. It doesn't make a lot of sense to let valving stop you - for a few hundred dollars you can have it valved to suit your particular weight and preferences.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,512
I couldn't disagree more, but I'll leave it at that.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,680
Question

I'm about to give my left nut for this bike, but what kinda fuel mileage does it get? If it's less than 40 mpg, I probably will not buy this bike.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
ForceRecon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
I owend a 07 950SMR and just bought a 2010 990SMR. The valving is alot better and I'm 6'1" 275lbs. I did my homework and set up the sag on the suspension. I'm very happy! I don't think the SM-T has any different suspension. On a lighter note...I did buy a SMT seat to see if it fits on my SMR and it's a direct fit. I'm Stoked! Much better for longer trips!
ForceRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
Reg Kittrelle
Rider

Oddometer: 90
I've a 2010 SM-T. About 900 miles on it so far.
Fuel mileage has ranged from low-30s to just over 40mpg. If you ride it like an average motorcycle, 40 should be easy. If you ride it like it wants to be ridden...well, "Your mileage may vary."

Took a bit of work to get the suspension right. It was great on good roads, but I haunt the tight backroads of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Really great motorcycle roads, but often corrupted by ruts, holes, heaves, etc. MY previous Multistrada S (Ohlins) was dialed in to the point where I could ignore road damage. My first forays on the KTM were a huge all-over-the-road-literal-pain-in-the-ass problem. It took several hours working with all the adjustments to get it where I'm now happy. Briefly, the biggest improvement came from setting rear sag.

also... I installed the G2 throttle with #400 cam. That pretty much the sensitive throttle issue.
Reg Kittrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
that SMT is one great looking bike... will testride it soon at the local KTM dealer.

Hows the windprotection?

And who makes aftermarket parts for this bike? - windshields, bags, exhausts and other great stuff.

I live in a part of the world that can get at bit cold... how is the heated grips...any good?

cant wait to know more about this bike... its so awsome looking

You guys know of any articles about the bike... tests, reviews comparisons on the internet???

sbn screwed with this post 05-27-2010 at 12:24 PM
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #23
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,680
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Kittrelle
I've a 2010 SM-T. About 900 miles on it so far.
Fuel mileage has ranged from low-30s to just over 40mpg. If you ride it like an average motorcycle, 40 should be easy. If you ride it like it wants to be ridden...well, "Your mileage may vary."
Low 30's? Not good. Part of the reason I'd like a 750cc or less V twin is the 50 mpg. I guess you could get a power commander 5 for it and lean out the fueling for long trips.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #24
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
What's the US msrp on the SMT? I see some people have them already so we must know, but I have not seen it online anywhere.

I'm guessing around 15
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn
that SMT is one great looking bike... will testride it soon at the local KTM dealer.

Hows the windprotection?

And who makes aftermarket parts for this bike? - windshields, bags, exhausts and other great stuff.

I live in a part of the world that can get at bit cold... how is the heated grips...any good?
Wind protection: Not great, the tiny cowl doesn't really make much difference.

Heated grips: Very good. At high setting, hotter than BMW grips.

Aftermarket parts: SW Motech and KTM Powerparts have plenty of stuff. You can also get various other stuff like a Rekluse clutch, Gipro gearshift indicator, Givi racks, luggage, and windscreen, and Touratech navi mount (Touratech says it's for the BMW G650X but it fits the SM-T perfectly).

Warning: Stay away from the KTM Powerparts gel seat! It is worse than the stock seat. I ordered a Renazco for my SM-T and should have it soon. I'll post some pics and a report when I get it.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #26
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
I believe KTM makes a "touring windscreen" for the SMT... slightly taller
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
Reg Kittrelle
Rider

Oddometer: 90
Yep, it's not a fuel sipper, but I know if I need to I can stretch to close to 200 miles.

Heated grips?! N/A on the U.S. version. Guy: they OE on the Euro version?

Wind protection; I'm so used to not really having any, I don't notice it one way or another

MSRP of $14.9K here in NorCal
Reg Kittrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #28
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Kittrelle
Heated grips?! N/A on the U.S. version. Guy: they OE on the Euro version?
You can get them as OEM Powerparts in Japan. They look pretty generic, not specially made for KTM or anything. They make a big difference in the cold.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #29
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
FAMSA make a tank bag specifically for the SMT -

US supplier is - Biker World
UK supplier is - Winding Roads
Old 05-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #30
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

I like that FAMSA bag attachment system, reminds me of Bagster the way the bag attaches to a fabric cover sheet that stays on the bike. Would be nice if Bagster made something for the SM-T...