Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #526
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 614
Yesterday I had the first long ride with the SMT after I fitted the Wings exhausts. Installed the db eaters with the smallest diameter, sound is real nice and not too loud to attract too much attention

I am very happy with them, especially since they are less then half the price of a set of Akra's
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #527
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Wow

Looks greeat, nice and clean.

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #528
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 244
Pretty much what I want if my SD would become sold. SM-T would give me versatility.
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #529
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 77
990 SMT as an adventure bike

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice for my 2012 SMT. I hesitated when I bought it, comparing it to the 990 Adv, but I figured 80% of my riding with this bike would be on-road (and my 690 Enduro for 80% off-road).

Now I am planning some long trips with the SMT to some remote locations with camp gear, and I want to make sure I setup correctly. I can change a tubetype tire anywhere, but never fixed a tubeless puncture (but I bought a kit), is it easy? Should I put trail type tires on for the trip, are they more solid to withstand damage from small rocks, and how much grip will I lose on the road? The side cases from Givi (Trekker) look good, but they are costly so does anyone have experience with those? What spares should I carry? (I always travel with a few well-known spares for the 690). I have the crash bars and engine guard and radiator guard, what else is essential accessory or upgrade? (the mufflers, of course, those are planned when I can afford them... what else?)

I still think the SMT looks great, to me the new Adv looks terrible with its big muffler on one side, it has gained weight and useless power for highway miles and 2-up, and its electronics will increase the risks... I feel the SMT is the ideal machine for solo long adventure trips with at worst some gravel roads, it is lightweight and still has the comfort for highway and the suspension travel for some off-roads, and is a lot of fun on tight twisty roads.

Any advice is welcome from long distance travellers on the SMT. Thanks.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #530
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 150
Best of luck to you! I have a Givvi Trekker 52N on the cargo rack for my trunk. They're very nice, BUT they are plastic with an aluminum sheet metal which functions for looks. I'm sure they can take some beatings, but they're not "real" adventure cases that you can crash with and they shrug it off.

Yes it's HUGE, but I commute daily rain or shine and keep my backpack in it, then my aerostich when it's parked.

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC

zimm screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 02:16 PM
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #531
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Congrats Christophe, you'll love the SMT . You can plug tubeless tires, I had to do it twice on a the last 100 mile leg of a 1500 mile trip, to limp home. I hit a large rock in the street at high speed. Carry a kit (pre gooped are better) and CO2 inflator. Tire legend says you can't plug a gaping sidewall hole, but I'm living proof you can, 50 miles at a pop .

Tire choices are limited, but I've had Pirelli Scorpion Trails on some seriously rutted and sandy dirt roads, and the SMT worked fine: it's lightweight and excellent suspension (even with 6.3 inches travel up front) are your friends.
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #532
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post

Any advice is welcome from long distance travellers on the SMT. Thanks.
You don't need hard bags. Ortlieb has a nice set of waterproof luggage that is cheaper, easier and nicer to use. With the money you save here, you can get your mufflers. Amazon has good prices on Leo Vince cans. You'll want to change out the mufflers. I remember them melting a lot of stuff on a 950 ADV that I rode. Partly rider error in packing, partly "why the fuck are they so damn hot!!!???".

The KTM tank bag for the SMT fits really well.

I've heard that a scott oiler is a trick piece. Can't say for sure. I'll try it one day.

Somewhere in this thread I put up some pics of some mods I did to my SMT. Not needed for some people but I'm tall. For ergonomics, I put on a taller windshield, bar risers and SW Mototech pegs. If you're under 6' you probably wouldn't need/want that stuff.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #533
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Decided to go for it. Put a deposit down on one of the 2 990 SMT's that my dealer was allocated. Waiting, patiently waiting.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #534
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Decided to go for it. Put a deposit down on one of the 2 990 SMT's that my dealer was allocated. Waiting, patiently waiting.
You'll love it.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #535
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #536
eldaifo
ogden in disguise

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Decided to go for it. Put a deposit down on one of the 2 990 SMT's that my dealer was allocated.
Good call.

Now if only they'd bring out a new one with the 1190 motor instead of that large-wheeled abomination.

KTM990SMT | GSXR1000
eldaifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #537
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Got the call. It is here. It is real and it is spectacular. picking it up in the morning
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #538
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
New member of the 990 SM-T clan. Just picked it up from the Dealer this past Wednesday. Looking forward to lots of ongoing miles and smiles.

windblown101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #539
StevenA
STV-RKL

Oddometer: 24
SMT exhaust

Does anyone make a 2 into 1 exhaust pipe like they have for the Adventures?
StevenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #540
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Again? Why??? KTM 950/990's are designed for dual exhausts. The minor weight savings over Akra's aren't worth the tuning headaches.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote