Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #631
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,710
I like these bikes, but I dream of an 1190 SMT.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #632
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
I like the Givi screen alright. A bit better wind and bug protection than the stock screen. I'm also 6'.
I just did a little run up into WA state today on the SMT. Went from Umatilla to Goldendale on some back road twisties. I don't usually spend too much time in WA cause of all the LEO's you guy's have up there.
Very nice state with great roads though.
If you ever get down here in my country of E. Oregon give me a shout, I'd be happy to show you some GREAT roads down here.
Thanks for the compliment on the bike.
ChrisK7,

I live in the Salem area but I'm in Pendleton pretty much every weekend now days spending time with my Grandmother. I'd sure like to know where those nice roads are that you were talking about. My knowledge of that area is limited. I did make it up to the "rattlesnake" north of Elgin last year, best road I think I've ever been on! I'd like to know some that are in the Umitilla County area. Most of the places I've seen in that area are pretty straight...
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #633
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
I like these bikes, but I dream of an 1190 SMT.

Indeed, I have been looking at the Multistrada 1200 pretty hard lately. HP is a big consideration for me. I'd like to give KTM my $$, as Ducati has already seen enough of it. Especially their parts and service department.

The SMT seems to be the superior bike, I just wish that it had the HP that the Multi does. It would make the decision much easier...
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #634
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

I'm sure the 990 motors are just fine, but the HP output on my FZ1 has me spoiled.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #635
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
I'm sure the 990 motors are just fine, but the HP output on my FZ1 has me spoiled.
I traded in my FZ1 for the SMT. FZ was faster, better gas mileage and just as comfy. Riding the SMT I always have a smile on my face.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #636
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
My buddy has am FZ6 and he yours around worth me on an SMT and my buddy on a tiger 800. The only thing that or have over his is tail rack. Kind of interesting too to hear the different motors when we hit the throttle.

Well I'm going on my first camping trip. Gonna head down through oak harbor, hit the ferry to port townsend then head over to forks and neah bay and lake quinalt. Hopefully just two nights. But i have time for 3 if i cant make it back to the ferry on time. This will be a good starter trip cause there are towns nearby that i can get supplies if i forget something or realize i should have something i didnt think about.
Smithers167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #637
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
I traded in my FZ1 for the SMT. FZ was faster, better gas mileage and just as comfy. Riding the SMT I always have a smile on my face.
Glad to hear that. I just wish the Yamaha had a bigger alternator on it.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #638
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Glad to hear that. I just wish the Yamaha had a bigger alternator on it.
I only ran a couple of accessory plugs and never had any issues. What do you want to add?
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #639
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
My search to replace my 950 Adventure has taken me down a lot of roads, including Ducati, H-D, BMW, Kawasaki, Honda, as well as KTM. For whatever reason I never thought about the SM-T until recently. After going to the dealer today and actually checking one out in person I'm sold that it'll be the next bike in my garage. Love the looks and typical 1st class components that KTM uses. I promise to post pics as soon as I get it.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #640
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
New to KTM 990 SMT

Got my 2013 SMT 2 weeks ago I am in LOVE!!!! I have 3 championships in florida HS/Enduros A Class CR500s Had everthing from a Kaw Meanstreak, Honda Goldwing, A 2000 Kaw ZX12 with Muzzy 1400 motor 220 rwhp did 215 at salt flats. But this is the BEST overall bike I have ever owned. TO much fun! Found out on thing to get to carry stuff in stock bags and stay dry I got some Hefty jumbo 2.5 gal bags with zipper seal put change of ckothes jeans shirt socks in bag zipped and left a little open then rolled it TIGHT to get air out then closed zipper. Was able to get 2 sets in half of one BAG! and watertight!
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #641
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

That is a great idea. I will have to remember that for next time. I didn't take any pictures of how i had mine set up for camping. One flaw was my sleeping pad was too close to the muffler and melted a hole in it. Duh. But good thing it was just a work out mat. I also realized that it felt better on the throttle loaded down.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #642
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastera210 View Post
Got my 2013 SMT 2 weeks ago I am in LOVE!!!! I have 3 championships in florida HS/Enduros A Class CR500s Had everthing from a Kaw Meanstreak, Honda Goldwing, A 2000 Kaw ZX12 with Muzzy 1400 motor 220 rwhp did 215 at salt flats. But this is the BEST overall bike I have ever owned. TO much fun! Found out on thing to get to carry stuff in stock bags and stay dry I got some Hefty jumbo 2.5 gal bags with zipper seal put change of ckothes jeans shirt socks in bag zipped and left a little open then rolled it TIGHT to get air out then closed zipper. Was able to get 2 sets in half of one BAG! and watertight!
I thought the bags came with waterproof liners?
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #643
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

They do but zip locks will act like vacuum sealed bags to save space
Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #644
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
I thought the bags came with waterproof liners?
And the so called liners are not shaped to the bags they dont even FIT!
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #645
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Got my new Givi touring windshield yesterday. Went for a ride doqn the highway a ways. Initial impression- its nice to not feel like im being pulled off the bike vs no windshield, cons- still get some buffeting from the windshield that seems almost like the windshield itself is vibrating back and forth. Anyone else with the givi experience that?